PDA

View Full Version : Using Pantyliners during long distance hiking

CynJ
10-19-2005, 19:26
What's the opinion of the ladies that have hiked some long distances - think pantyliners would help or be more of a hassle then they are worth?

I personally like them in the summer for hiking as it helps keep sweat/moisture from becoming irritating.

I was reading on another thread somewhere here talking about how much tp to use when urinating etc - and someone did make mention of odor after a while. I think this would help with that.

Just more to pack in pack out. But it could make things a bit more comfortable. And packing several extra pairs of underpants wouldn't be necessary.

frieden
10-19-2005, 19:38
I use the pantyliners that are made for thong underwear, while hiking. The regular ones rub too much.

baseballswthrt
10-19-2005, 19:54
I find that ANY pantyliners cause chafing! I use a bandanda (specific for use) instead of TP for urination, and TP for bowel movements.

Hammock Hanger
10-19-2005, 20:09
Back in the day when I actually wore underwear, I tried them. I thought that they would 1, cut down on the use of TP, 2, keep my underwear cleaner longer. I found them to be a hassle. They would unstick due to the amount of sweat, then you have to pack them out, took more pack room then TP.

Now I leave the underwear and the TP home. I allot myself 1 wet wipe ever morning, this I clean my face with and then use for that morning constitutional. During the day I have a small "dab rag" that is attached to the outside of my pack with a small bottle of antiseptic gel. The rag is cut from a chammy type cloth. It is very absorbent. A couple of "dabs" and then it is clipped back to the pack. I put a little gel on my hands, no mess, no waste. I wash it out at night. Works well.:clap

Rollergirl
10-19-2005, 21:00
On the PCT I loved and used pantyliners for all the reasons why you would think they are a good idea. On the AT, I found that I sweat a billion times more and had the same issues that HH did with unsticking. Then I tried going commando and that was alright, but in the end, I just decided that I'd wash one pair and wear one, switching at a convenient water source when I could do some trailside laundry. Everything worked out from there on out...

I think it's all about trial and error for each person on some of this stuff. ?

Smile
10-19-2005, 21:50
I found the best undies to be the new Patagonia, capilene super lightweight (1.1 oz), antibacterial/no smellie underwears, good for about four days, quick dry, expensive but worth it.

Singer
10-19-2005, 23:11
I don't like pantiliners. When I did my AT section hike in Vermont (the whole state), I found that my birth control wasn't working due to the heavy exercise. I spotted for two weeks straight! Because pads were the only option for me at the time, I had to use them. Talk about chafing! Nowadays, I don't have this issue anymore, so I just bring a few pair of underware. I also use the antibacterial type. I find that if I don't, I have to change twice a day due to the sweat factor. I can't wear wet underware all day, they just don't wick that much (considering that my pants are usually soaked with sweat). I don't want to feel like I am getting a yeast infection every day! :eek:
On a similar topic, I also like to use the Instead softcup product for my monthly. They can be left in longer because they are antibacterial; they can be emptied, dried in dirt/leaves, and put in a baggie (to pack out) thus lighter than tampons; the company claims you can also wear them when your not on your monthly (although I haven't tried that yet); and they are IMO more comfortable. :rolleyes:

Big Bear
10-19-2005, 23:13
I just got off the trail a few days ago, 26 day section hike, therefore I had to deal with my monthly friend for almost a week. Fun times. I as well tend to not use underwear when hiking, i wear light weight quick drying pants or shorts with a liner and when I can rinse them off at night and then let dry, well it works until I can do laundry at a stop. But I found a product that I was a bit skeptical about at first and it took me a month after I got it to try it, its called "The Keeper". Some marathon runners use it and other extreme athletes, but also people who are concerned about waste and getting rid of the idea of going through a box of pads or tampons a month. Good for the environment and you save money. Plus, once you get use to it, its not that bad. Basically it is a small rubber cup that takes the place of a tampon. Depending on the day of your cycle will depend on how often you have to empty it. you just rinse it out and reinsert. It has no harmful toxic sideaffects at all like say the small risks of TSS with tampons. The Keeper last 10 years, and I got it the summer of 04' for $40.00 because i was taking a big trip to New Zealand and figured if i get use to it this would be perfect over there. In fact, I just sent it to myself in a maildrop when I knew it was going to be that time of the month and in my next maildrop. It weighs a few ounces and has a little carry pouch so I just kept it in my small toiletry bag when I was done using it. At the end of every cycle I let it sit in a small glass of white vinegar and warm water and that is it.
I know this response isn't about pantyliners but maybe it might give you all some thought on another option. I haven't used a tampon or maxipad in over a year and I'm helping the environment with less waste.

-Big Bear-:)

QHShowoman
10-21-2005, 17:25
I've used oral contraceptives for years to help regulate my cycle and I've recently switched to a brand called Seasonale, so I only have my period once every three months. Physicians say it is harmless to go without menstruating for up to six months, maybe more. (I worked for Planned Parenthood for 5 years; I did my research before switching.) So, basically, I can go an entire thru-hike without needing a single tampon, pad, etc. That's what works for me ...

onicoe
10-22-2005, 06:45
Has anyone used something along the lines of Jade & Pearls natural sponge tampon?

HippieLongstockings
10-22-2005, 10:38
I tried panty liners in the middle of my 2001 thru hike. That lasted a couple of days. It took one rainy day to realize that they don't stick when they get wet. I had my male hiking partner ask me if this belonged to me, as he stood there holding my panty liner in his hand. This is not something you want to happen when hiking.

I now only use them during my periods these days. I found hiking in a Mtn. Hardware hiking skirt with no underwear was the BEST! I pee standing up and use leaves or shake when finished. The skirt is a wrap around so when sitting with no undies I merely push the two sides of the skirt down so it looks like I have shorts on. I were my underwear when I arrive into camp at the end of the day.

Remember we are hikers we are going to smell bad no matter what we do. Our clothes are going to be worn day in and day out. After a while you will just get used to it. Trust me I'm good at this I just walked over 5,000 miles in the last 20 months. And remember if we smell that bad those guys that might be a problem will leave us alone!

HippieLongstockings
10-22-2005, 10:49
If you are looking for other options for your period may I recommend The Keeper or The Diva Cup. You can find them both on the web TheKeeper.com or TheDivaCup.com. This is a reusable form for your period. I found that it takes a few months to get used to it but once you do you'll LOVE IT!!!!!!! The cost is under $40.00 and that cup will last you years. No more dirty tampons being carried in your packs. No more "oh no I just got my period again and I have nothing in my pack". I bought mine last December while finishing my 04 thru hike. I had this with me in Florida which was nice since my period decided to come when it wanted to. Besides it can be left in longer since it is not like tampons. You just have to remember that it does take some time to get used to, but I think you'll love it if you try it. You'll find all the information you need on their websites. If you are looking to start a thru hike next year you might want to try this. It will save you weight and headaches later!

Hammock Hanger
10-22-2005, 15:40
I tried panty liners in the middle of my 2001 thru hike. That lasted a couple of days. It took one rainy day to realize that they don't stick when they get wet. I had my male hiking partner ask me if this belonged to me, as he stood there holding my panty liner in his hand. This is not something you want to happen when hiking.

I now only use them during my periods these days. I found hiking in a Mtn. Hardware hiking skirt with no underwear was the BEST! I pee standing up and use leaves or shake when finished. The skirt is a wrap around so when sitting with no undies I merely push the two sides of the skirt down so it looks like I have shorts on. I were my underwear when I arrive into camp at the end of the day.

Remember we are hikers we are going to smell bad no matter what we do. Our clothes are going to be worn day in and day out. After a while you will just get used to it. Trust me I'm good at this I just walked over 5,000 miles in the last 20 months. And remember if we smell that bad those guys that might be a problem will leave us alone!

ROTFLMAO...:jump :jump :jump :jump :jump (Hope that wasn't Stumpy.)

Skirt, no udies, that is the way to go.... I was nice and worn a pair of shorts that I picked up in Gorham the day we went thru the Notch, but they went in the trash right after that. Skirts, peeing while standing, cool breezes on mountain tops... Ahhhhh!;)

jackiebolen
10-22-2005, 16:43
The best underwear is none at all. I didn't use TP after peeing, just let it drip dry for a few seconds and then used OB tampons for when I had my period. I don't really see the point of wearing underwear when hiking.

Hammock Hanger
10-22-2005, 21:40
Glad to see so many sisters here who go free...:)

tagalong hiker
10-23-2005, 09:44
Did the vermont section this september and wore board shorts with the attached bathing suit liner and tried using pantie liners to keep down the odor. But had the same complant they wouldn't stay put after a few miles on the trail. So after a few days on the trial I gave that idea up ,but the shorts were tough even thou i would rinse them out. Thought about the skirt thing but with big thighs the rubbing will kill me. any ideas on how to solve this problem.

QHShowoman
10-24-2005, 11:59
Yeah, I second that! Don't you chafe going commando under skirts? Heck, even when I wear skirts to work, I need to wear bike shorts or pantyhose underneath. Maybe my thighs are just too big?

Smile
10-24-2005, 12:08
The skirts sound great, but I have heard tales of folks hiking behind nasty stains on the backsides of female hikers who don't wear undies....not sure if it's a good tradeoff....
No more than I would want to hike behind a nasty stain on a male hikers kilt/shorts.

What about ticks and chiggers? This is probably a separate thread........

Hammock Hanger
10-24-2005, 12:15
My thunder thighs have a tendency to rub as well. I usually have a little rash or soreness the first few days but after that it all seems to toughen up and is pretty much fine. I use the new Monistate Cream for Chaffing that is just so soft and silky. Vagisil also works well as does Gold Bond etc. When it comes to chaffing you will get almost as many remedies as hikers...

I really like the fact that I can air out the area when I sit down for breaks (if I am solo of course!!) It keeps any bacteria from forming and giving me other ailments as well as the dreaded oder thing.

QHShowoman
10-24-2005, 14:05
Not sure about the stain thing ... I go commando often under shorts, pants, etc., and I've never noticed any unusual stains on the back of my pants/shorts. However, when I work up a good sweat, I do get sweatmarks on my behind (and everywhere), and I suppose that could pick up dirt ... but its definitely not a problem unique to me, or just women.

I'll have to try that monistat stuff. I tried to use bodyglide, but I noticed that because it is a silicone based product, the skin on my inner thighs wasn't "breathing" and they got really hot from the friction, no matter how much or little I used.

teachergal
10-26-2005, 20:22
I have always been a "large" gal and I have had the problem of my thunder thighs rubbing together since Jr. Hi. - can't wear dresses (even with tights or pantyhose) w/o pettie pants under to keep them from rubbing together. It's so nice to hear that others have the same problem and it's OK!!!!!
:clap :banana :clap :banana :clap :banana :clap :banana :clap :banana :clap :banana :clap :banana :clap \

Go women's forum!!!!! :)

Hammock Hanger
10-26-2005, 21:15
The skirts sound great, but I have heard tales of folks hiking behind nasty stains on the backsides of female hikers who don't wear undies....not sure if it's a good tradeoff....
No more than I would want to hike behind a nasty stain on a male hikers kilt/shorts.

What about ticks and chiggers? This is probably a separate thread........
This did happen to me once. I was hiking with another woman and she said you gotta turn your skirt it looks bad!! What had happened was I had forgotten to bring anything for chapping and the first day out I got a rash. All I had in my pack was Vaseline (yuck!!) so I used it. Then of course I would rub it occasionally, thus a pretty nasty stain. Also it was a solid gray. Black works best if solid and a print is even better to hide stains and dirt.

CynJ
10-26-2005, 22:16
that's what gets me about hiker shirts - most of them are plain and light colored - a nice print would hide a lot of grunge :D

teachergal - I hate dresses/skirts -and shorts ride up in the crotch and I really hate that. So I wear capris pants - lightweight - no chafing :)

On the skirt/shorts note though - here's a question - do you all shave the legs or go au'natural? I think the itching of it growing out would drive me bonkers.

Hammock Hanger
10-26-2005, 22:22
that's what gets me about hiker shirts - most of them are plain and light colored - a nice print would hide a lot of grunge :D

teachergal - I hate dresses/skirts -and shorts ride up in the crotch and I really hate that. So I wear capris pants - lightweight - no chafing :)

On the skirt/shorts note though - here's a question - do you all shave the legs or go au'natural? I think the itching of it growing out would drive me bonkers.

no shaving of the legs when I am on the trail (hell, I have a hard enough time doing that chore at home.) Yeah, I've been married for 25 years and have gotten lazy.

I shaved somewhere else on my 2001 hike :eek:, the itch when it was growing it was out of this world and quiet embarrassing to get caught scratching...

sleeveless
11-06-2005, 12:39
Having just hiked the trail this summer I decided to add my 2 cents worth. In the summer,especially, hikers smell. Their packs smell worse. Some days I couldn't even stand the smell of my own pack. So when I pee I either use leaves or air dry a min. and then pull up my underpants (sorry, I like them for this purpose). The underpants got washed when I did my laundry unless I detected a urine order coming from me and that was not often.

You are not going to want to carry many extra clothes. I eventually sent my spare underpants and bra home. I tried panyliners the first few days and for a day hike they are fine but for long distance hiking no. I also hated to see toilet paper behind a tree or rock or anywhere so if you must use it. PACK IT OUT!

You will get use to wearing the same clothes day after day after day in fact for the whole trip. I shaved my legs whenever I had the opportunity. That was just me, I hate to see hairy legged women and fur balls under the arms.

And last but not least, I was lucky not to have chafing but at the first sign of the one time, I used bag balm. I used that on my feet also; an indispensable item in my back. I just put it in a film canister, didn't carry the whole can.
Sleeveless

CreakyBonze
02-02-2006, 22:55
Yeah, I second that! Don't you chafe going commando under skirts? Heck, even when I wear skirts to work, I need to wear bike shorts or pantyhose underneath. Maybe my thighs are just too big?

Thank God, someone else admits she has big thighs. Even when I was not overweight, my thighs would chafe in skirts...

Creakybonze:cool:

QHShowoman
02-03-2006, 09:58
I used to think thigh chafing was a strictly weight-related thing, then I met these rail thin women at the gym who had the same problem and some very overweight women who didn't. I think it's mostly just a matter of build, although certainly, being overweight may contribute to chafing if you have large thighs to begin with.

camich
02-03-2006, 12:57
I tried to use panty liners but I had the same problem with "unsticking" and chaffing. I was reluctant to try the Patagonia panties because of the price...but they are most definately worth it.:o

roxy33x
02-19-2006, 23:17
I found the best undies to be the new Patagonia, capilene super lightweight (1.1 oz), antibacterial/no smellie underwears, good for about four days, quick dry, expensive but worth it.

Where can I find these

camich
02-19-2006, 23:29
Where can I find these

You can get Patagonia panties from REI. They also have an REI brand that is $4 cheaper per pair. I'm not sure about the quality of the REI ones...I ordered some....should arrive next week.

River Runner
02-20-2006, 00:14
Panti-liners are definitely out for me. They usually don't stick where you want them :mad: or do stick where you don't. :eek:

cindellasaurus
02-11-2010, 21:17
To avoid any rubbing/chaffing I wear leggings, or underarmour type compression pants, they cling tight enough that when your legs rub, the only thing making contact is your tights, so, no chaffe! The only thing is, no matter how much they say that they "wick" .. you always get a little sweaty. No me gusta.

cindellasaurus
02-11-2010, 21:19
Glad I always notice how old threads are before I post on them, haha. :p

Bear Cables
02-14-2010, 17:08
I use the very light "always" liners and love them. They are so small and slim they take up very little space in the "santi" bag.

Dovetail
02-17-2010, 21:33
Light Panty-liners helpful in perspiration absorption, but also after peeing when the wet wipes aren't handy or available.

boarstone
02-18-2010, 21:01
Unless your undies are cotton lined, Panty liners won't stick...

Lilred
02-18-2010, 21:08
Unless your undies are cotton lined, Panty liners won't stick...

Mine are cotton lined and they still don't stick. I resorted to safety pinning them and that seemed to work adequately.

LeeAllure
02-22-2010, 17:11
I ordered a couple of pair of the Patagonia, which came in today. I'll do some testing when I go for a week, later this spring. Hopefully they'll wick and stay reasonably dry, as well as stay reasonably odorless.

Nkeef4960
02-23-2010, 22:03
I ordered a couple of pair of the Patagonia, which came in today. I'll do some testing when I go for a week, later this spring. Hopefully they'll wick and stay reasonably dry, as well as stay reasonably odorless.

Ok, you've had enough time. How were they?? :D

Nkeef4960
02-23-2010, 22:05
Ok, you've had enough time. How were they?? :D

ha, never mind you said later this spring. I will need to test them myself before then. Leaving in April!

yappy
02-23-2010, 22:15
I am one of the free girls too. I never wear underwear ! My mom was horrified ! I can pee standing up too and never use tp to wipe either . I do the " thigh dry shake and boogie ...