PDA

View Full Version : 48L... and counting

bayoutrail
11-03-2014, 20:44
I have an Osprey Kestrel 48... It's been said to me by some that if they pack it right, they can go for a four day trip. I went small on the tent, compression big time on the sleeping bag, light on clothes and food both inside e-vent bags... Small (not UL) size on stove/cookset... And I'm about tapped out... But I don't think I could do four days with what I have packed... Anyone who actually pulls this off care to share what you shed, what you pack? Just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damn Yankee
11-03-2014, 21:01
I use a Nemo Meta 2P tent, groung cloth and stakes with my trekking poles for tent supports. My sleeping bag goes into my pack uncompressed and pushed down in the bottom of my pack. MSR Pocket rocket, one canister of fuel and the evernew solo cookset. Five days of food and clothes and it fits into my Jam 50 at around 30lbs.

bayoutrail
11-03-2014, 21:15
I use a Nemo Meta 2P tent, groung cloth and stakes with my trekking poles for tent supports. My sleeping bag goes into my pack uncompressed and pushed down in the bottom of my pack. MSR Pocket rocket, one canister of fuel and the evernew solo cookset. Five days of food and clothes and it fits into my Jam 50 at around 30lbs.

Those two extra liters help I'm sure. I kept feeling if the Kestrel was only two liters larger, I'd be totally set.

dangerdave
11-03-2014, 21:49
I have a Granite Gear Blaze 60 holding thirty pounds fully provisioned. I just don't use the whole 60 liters. :)

bayoutrail
11-03-2014, 22:05
I have a Granite Gear Blaze 60 holding thirty pounds fully provisioned. I just don't use the whole 60 liters. :)
Just move to know they're there if you need em, right? ;-)

MuddyWaters
11-03-2014, 22:25
I don't know the real specs, but typically with a mainstream pack the size is only the main compartment.

That said, some could go easy 10 days with that pack. The key is the volume of your gear obviously, how much and what kind. But especially, how much. If your pack is much more than half full if gear, you wont have room for food. Figure about 2L per day for food. If you want room for 5 days food,you need about 10L for that.

Tarp tent, xlite pad, no extra clothes, fleece, down puffy, raingear, long underwear, light down quilt or bag, nothing that's not needed, will generally get you there.

bigcranky
11-03-2014, 22:34
I have a Kestrel 32 that I use as a heavy day pack (for cameras and stuff.) I could do a 4 day weekend with it in the summer, easy, but not 4 days in, say, March.

I remember a story on BPL about Ryan Jordan doing a multiday hike in Yellowstone with a Golite 24 daypack. I have that pack, and it would be a serious challenge for me to do more than a dayhike with it. So I think all of this comes down to individual experience.

bayoutrail
11-03-2014, 22:43
I have a Kestrel 32 that I use as a heavy day pack (for cameras and stuff.) I could do a 4 day weekend with it in the summer, easy, but not 4 days in, say, March.

I remember a story on BPL about Ryan Jordan doing a multiday hike in Yellowstone with a Golite 24 daypack. I have that pack, and it would be a serious challenge for me to do more than a dayhike with it. So I think all of this comes down to individual experience.

I don't know the real specs, but typically with a mainstream pack the size is only the main compartment.

That said, some could go easy 10 days with that pack. The key is the volume of your gear obviously, how much and what kind. But especially, how much. If your pack is much more than half full if gear, you wont have room for food. Figure about 2L per day for food. If you want room for 5 days food,you need about 10L for that.

Tarp tent, xlite pad, no extra clothes, fleece, down puffy, raingear, long underwear, light down quilt or bag, nothing that's not needed, will generally get you there.

Both Excellent points! Thanks for the input.

Slo-go'en
11-03-2014, 23:51
The pack description says it all "suitable for overnight and weekend hikes". It should also say "in the summer". Due to the way the top pocket (Brain) is attached, it doesn't look like you can over stuff the main compartment by much. Right time of year timed with the weather, careful gear selection and it would be possible to carry 3 nights, 4 days of food.

bayoutrail
11-04-2014, 00:04
I think the trick to this bag is the sleeping bag... Saw another post up above talking about uncompressed quilt... I think that is part of it... I use a BA synthetic... Not nearly the same pack down factor available. I thought the same thing about the brain but the elastic on the sides actually keep it pulling down and covering pretty well... At least I've found.

bayoutrail
11-04-2014, 00:05
The pack description says it all "suitable for overnight and weekend hikes". It should also say "in the summer". Due to the way the top pocket (Brain) is attached, it doesn't look like you can over stuff the main compartment by much. Right time of year timed with the weather, careful gear selection and it would be possible to carry 3 nights, 4 days of food.

I think the trick to this bag is the sleeping bag... Saw another post up above talking about uncompressed quilt... I think that is part of it... I use a BA synthetic... Not nearly the same pack down factor available. I thought the same thing about the brain but the elastic on the sides actually keep it pulling down and covering pretty well... At least I've found.

bayoutrail
11-04-2014, 00:06

daddytwosticks
11-04-2014, 08:13
I did a three day weekend this past Memorial Day with my new Osprey Exos 48. No problem on volume, in fact the pack still had room for more stuff. Of course, I had minimal clothing, light down quilt, and a tarp. No heavy/bulky items. :)

Another Kevin
11-04-2014, 09:51
There are a lot of us who just go with 65-litre packs or so. I think I could do a 4-day in the summer with a 45-50 litre pack, but it'd be tight. It's worth a few ounces to me not to hassle about packing. 65 litres gets me well into the shoulder season. I can pack for 3-4 days in light snow with that much space. I just can't justify to myself the added expense and storage to have a dedicated summer pack, so I use the 65-litre one for three seasons.

If I were to do an extended trip in deep winter (I don't do that, I switch to peakbagging), I think I'd need 80-100 litres: winter gear is bulky and heavy. (Hi, Tipi Walter! ;) ) My winter traction gear (snowshoes, ski poles, ice axe, crampons, ice creepers) outweigh my summer Big Four, but you can't travel safely without it.

bayoutrail
11-04-2014, 10:27
There are a lot of us who just go with 65-litre packs or so. I think I could do a 4-day in the summer with a 45-50 litre pack, but it'd be tight. It's worth a few ounces to me not to hassle about packing. 65 litres gets me well into the shoulder season. I can pack for 3-4 days in light snow with that much space. I just can't justify to myself the added expense and storage to have a dedicated summer pack, so I use the 65-litre one for three seasons.

If I were to do an extended trip in deep winter (I don't do that, I switch to peakbagging), I think I'd need 80-100 litres: winter gear is bulky and heavy. (Hi, Tipi Walter! ;) ) My winter traction gear (snowshoes, ski poles, ice axe, crampons, ice creepers) outweigh my summer Big Four, but you can't travel safely without it.
Very true thoughts sir.
Living in LA, one, doesn't provide much scenic elevation; I have to travel decent distances to explore such areas. As such, the heat and other factors play havoc on a heavy pack against my back. However, you're point is still very valid.

Ktaadn
11-04-2014, 12:08
Get rid of the compression sacks. They just create bricks that are hard to pack/fit other things around. Treat your pack as the giant stuff sack that it is. You will be surprised by how much space this saves.

Slo-go'en
11-04-2014, 12:09

Yea, you'll have trouble with a synthetic bag. I did several long section hikes with a 45L pack and used a 32* down bag which packs pretty small. The bag, plus a SMD Luna Solo tent and 3/4 length pro-lite pad took up about 1/2 the pack volume. A 0.7L cook set (stove fit inside pot) and a minimal amount of clothes left just enough space for 4 days of food. It's rare that you have to go more then 4 days between pit stops on the AT.

I'm not sure how I actually managed with a pack that small, these days I need a 65L unless it is just a summer overnight. The I can go with a 30L day pack.

bayoutrail
11-04-2014, 13:49
Yea, you'll have trouble with a synthetic bag. I did several long section hikes with a 45L pack and used a 32* down bag which packs pretty small. The bag, plus a SMD Luna Solo tent and 3/4 length pro-lite pad took up about 1/2 the pack volume. A 0.7L cook set (stove fit inside pot) and a minimal amount of clothes left just enough space for 4 days of food. It's rare that you have to go more then 4 days between pit stops on the AT.

I'm not sure how I actually managed with a pack that small, these days I need a 65L unless it is just a summer overnight. The I can go with a 30L day pack.

Yes, the tent and pad are what take up the most space in the pack. I use a BA insulated air core... With a BA gunn creek as my bag.
My other bag is an Aether 70 and I'm about to get an older Exos 58 from a member here. Bottom line: I've got space options haha

Slo-go'en
11-04-2014, 14:42
If you want to use a small pack, you need to get small gear - and use less of it!

Havana
11-04-2014, 15:47
I have the Kestrel 48 and I routinely use it for 3-4 day trips without a problem for summer and shoulder trips. When I was using a sleeping pad I had to strap it on the outside (not ideal, but I never had a problem). Now that I have a Neoair it takes up a lot less room and I can pack it internally.

I have a big, synthetic bag and compress the heck out of it (eVent also) and then everything loose gets stuffed around that "brick". There's a ton of volume in there that you may be wasting. One way to test the theory is to pack everything in loosely. I've been tempted to get a bigger pack, but I love the Kestrel pack so I'm sticking with it for now and it keeps me hyperfocused on what I really need versus what I can take. For instance, just like thru hikers I don't bring changes of clothes (extra socks are my only "extras") extra water bottles, etc.

My methods for packing for a trip is to put everything in the bag that I need. Weigh myself with the pack on and then try and shed a few pounds. I put a box next to my pack and start unpacking it dropping into the box everything that is a "nice to have". I then decide what I want to add back from the box. Rarely does anything get added back.

Next purchase: an 800/900 fill down bag to save some weight and space.

Havana
11-04-2014, 16:27
While I'm at it, here's a list from memory about what gets in there for a two nights/2.5 days on the trail:

Inside Bag
Sleeping bag, 20*, synthetic
Neoair pad
BA Fly Creek Tent (Poles on the outside)
Clothing - last trip I had 2 pairs of socks, long johns, puffy down jacket, change of underwear (a luxury item and given the rain I was happy), fleece pullover, knit cap (owing to a lack of hair on top)
Jetboil
Hygiene Kit - toilet paper, soap, sanitizer, toothbrush & toothpaste, etc.
First Aid Kit - basics including blister stuff, Glide, etc.
"Wallet" - Car Key, ID, $s in a ziploc
Back up Battery for iDevices
Food - 5 Freeze Dried Meals, a half dozen snickers, a couple of Clif bars, a bag of Gorp, a baggie with a bunch of Gatorade powder, a couple of Starbucks Vias, probably something else (I always pack too much food).
I'm sure I'm forgetting something

Outside of Pack
Rain Jacket & pants
Poo Shovel
Bear bag and line
Battered tin mug (a nostalgia item)
Nalgene
Platypus & Sawyer

mattjv89
11-04-2014, 18:46
Get rid of the compression sacks. They just create bricks that are hard to pack/fit other things around. Treat your pack as the giant stuff sack that it is. You will be surprised by how much space this saves.

A big +1 to this, no other packing technique has cleared more room in my pack. Stuff the bag in the bottom and hold it down with my food bag, fill the sides around odd shaped items such as cookpot with extra clothes, etc. Food and small ditty bag items are the only things that go in a sack.

bayoutrail
11-04-2014, 19:58

Just saw your post... Somehow I missed it earlier, it got buried haha.
Thats a good thought; I'm sure it will probably be a big help as well in my Exos; no individual sleeping bag compartment.

bayoutrail
11-04-2014, 20:02
A big +1 to this, no other packing technique has cleared more room in my pack. Stuff the bag in the bottom and hold it down with my food bag, fill the sides around odd shaped items such as cookpot with extra clothes, etc. Food and small ditty bag items are the only things that go in a sack.

Do you think I'd have as much success as you with my synthetic?

Havana
11-04-2014, 22:32
It's easy to find out. Stuff that thing in!

bayoutrail
11-05-2014, 00:56
It's easy to find out. Stuff that thing in!

:-) indeed