PDA

View Full Version : Vote!

Tuckahoe
11-04-2014, 00:02
I do not care about anyone's ideology or who anyone supports, but November 4 is election day. Get your butts to the polls and cast your vote.

July
11-04-2014, 00:32
I do not care about anyone's ideology or who anyone supports, but November 4 is election day. Get your butts to the polls and cast your vote.

Here Here Tuck...

Feral Bill
11-04-2014, 01:05
Already cast mine, vote by mail only here.:(

Tuckahoe
11-04-2014, 07:53
Already cast mine, vote by mail only here.:(

Cast my ballot at 6:05am. It was nice to get to the polling place about ten minutes before it opened to see a line forming.

peakbagger
11-04-2014, 07:58
Much as I dislike my choices sometimes, if I don't vote I cant complain until the next election :rolleyes:

daddytwosticks
11-04-2014, 08:07
Gosh, I voted four times already! Do you want me to go again? :)

dangerdave
11-04-2014, 08:10
If you live in the US, you have the right to complain whether you vote or not (Freedom of Speech). Being a "free country", we also have right to choose not to vote. I respect everyone's choice to do as they see fit on election day.

Note: I'm voting on my way home from work this morning.

saltysack
11-04-2014, 09:20
If in Fl vote yes on amendment one!!! $$ for land and water conservation!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pedaling Fool
11-04-2014, 09:24
I vote in every election, even those off-year local voting. I don't understand the mindset of only voting during the Presidential years, nor do I get it that people need to be "energized", but apparently they do:confused:

hooshr
11-04-2014, 09:36
Voted at 6:10 AM. Exercise your right and obligation to vote! Do not complain if you do not vote!

theinfamousj
11-04-2014, 10:05
I am voting on my way home from work this morning. I vote every election. I enjoy going about my daily routine and seeing the stickers on everyone's shirt.

I appreciate it when people cast ballots as it makes it more of the people's choice.

WingedMonkey
11-04-2014, 10:43
Because of important amendments on the ballot, I voted.

For the first time I can remember I skipped some races.

I really wish we had a "none of the above" to check off.

Sarcasm the elf
11-04-2014, 11:00
I really wish we had a "none of the above" to check off.

Sometimes You and I are in complete agreement.

One year I did cast a write in vote for "Ficus" for a state election. I thought that a houseplant could do a better job than either of the candidates on the ballot.

Starchild
11-04-2014, 11:04
If you live in the US, you have the right to complain whether you vote or not (Freedom of Speech). Being a "free country", we also have right to choose not to vote. I respect everyone's choice to do as they see fit on election day.

Note: I'm voting on my way home from work this morning.

I do agree with this and do not like the guilt trip that people lay on others to pressure them to vote.

There are reasons to chose not to vote.

If a country has a high percentage of the population who votes the government can claim popular support in it's claim to rule, it gives them status. If a high percentage do not vote they are unable to claim this.

The guilt trip to pressure people to vote goes to further the government's claim of popular support and artificially skews numbers in the government's favor to make this claim. Saying non-voters should not complain if they don't vote is just wrong, they have that exact right to do so and one should not try to suppress this with such a statement that disenfranchises them from their choice of how to participate.

People who want to vote should decide on their own to vote, from within, not pressured to do it.

With that said I need to look at the ballot and decide what to do this time around, there are some people I know who I will be voting for.

DandT40
11-04-2014, 11:27
Long line of old timers this morning all waiting for the electronic machines. No way I was waiting in that line! Grabbed my paper ballot and was done before one of them even moved.

illabelle
11-04-2014, 11:29
I hope I get to vote this year. Sometimes do the early voting thing, but I kind of like standing in line with my fellow citizens in my precinct and experiencing the process. Also, if you're teaching your children to vote, standing in line at the local elementary school gym to cast our ballot is much more memorable than the early voting process.

Unfortunately this year a friend of the family passed away suddenly, and the services this evening may prevent me from getting in line before the cutoff. :(

Coffee
11-04-2014, 11:31
I've never experienced long lines in non-presidential election years. For presidential elections, I'm at the polls about 15 minutes before they open. Today, I'll just stroll over after lunch sometime and probably be in and out in 10 minutes at the most.

10-K
11-04-2014, 11:34
Early voting.. Here in Erwin that means walking down the sidewalk to the election office, saying hi to my neighbor who volunteers there, voting, then walking over and grabbing a cup of coffee at the coffee shop/furniture store. :)

rhjanes
11-04-2014, 11:37
I always early vote. Small if any lines in our little precinct.

And remember, the media is wrong on a major point. They LOVE to say "We are a Democracy" and "we are bringing Democracy to the world". WRONG. We live in a Republic with democratically elected (we each have a say in elected officials) officials.

Odd Man Out
11-04-2014, 11:43
I already voted. There are two wildlife oriented proposals on the MI ballots, both having to do with wolf hunting (and political shenanigans - one legislator was caught fabricating wolf stories to drum up support for his proposal). Unfortunately they were giving out mints instead of stickers today. I'd rather have the "I Voted" sticker than more candy.

Odd Man Out
11-04-2014, 11:47
...Unfortunately they were giving out mints instead of stickers today. I'd rather have the "I Voted" sticker than more candy.

Found one on line. Print your own if you need one. It's an honor system. You can only use it if you really voted.

Another Kevin
11-04-2014, 11:50

There's always someone who's the "least worst." Hold your nose and vote for the idiot that you guess will do the least damage, or if you can't bring yourself to, at least write in someone.

The last election up here was the first time I found myself voting AGAINST a "wilderness preservation" amendment, but the one in question had wandered into "crazy ecofascist" territory.

Deer Hunter
11-04-2014, 12:05
I hope I get to vote this year. Sometimes do the early voting thing, but I kind of like standing in line with my fellow citizens in my precinct and experiencing the process. Also, if you're teaching your children to vote, standing in line at the local elementary school gym to cast our ballot is much more memorable than the early voting process.

Unfortunately this year a friend of the family passed away suddenly, and the services this evening may prevent me from getting in line before the cutoff. :(

Sorry for your loss, ILB.

10-K
11-04-2014, 12:05

I also no longer vote in races when I have no knowledge of the people running.

johnnybgood
11-04-2014, 12:16
I'm at work by 6am when the polls open . Hopefully still a short wait by the time I get there at 3 this afternoon. The great thing is my voting location is just minutes from the house.

Coffee
11-04-2014, 12:38
Almost no wait at my polling location. The volunteer there said that there was a line when they opened. There were more campaign workers hovering around near the entrance than voters inside. I hate the fact that it is legal for campaign workers to aggressively approach voters as they get near the building.

DandT40
11-04-2014, 13:01
Almost no wait at my polling location. The volunteer there said that there was a line when they opened. There were more campaign workers hovering around near the entrance than voters inside. I hate the fact that it is legal for campaign workers to aggressively approach voters as they get near the building.
+1
There were several people at my polling location complaining about this. I guess the law here is 100 yards, but they are no where near that far. Thankfully they were hovering around the parking lot at my location and walked to and from so I was able to bypass them.

Hikes in Rain
11-04-2014, 13:06
Since I drive right by our polling place, got there around 7:15. Only one there (but the volunteers told me there was a line when the polls opened at 7).

Alligator
11-04-2014, 13:38
Folks, keep the particulars of the specific ballot choices out of the thread unless they happen to be a trail related issues. Keep the thread partisanship free. If you can't help yourself, put the thread on ignore.

10-K
11-04-2014, 13:52
Folks, keep the particulars of the specific ballot choices out of the thread unless they happen to be a trail related issues. Keep the thread partisanship free. If you can't help yourself, put the thread on ignore.

I guess it'd be a serious violation to talk about the guy with a gun I saw smoking pot near where we voted?

:)

(p.s. I didn't really see a guy with a gun smoking pot, etc. etc.)

Teacher & Snacktime
11-04-2014, 14:01

My bad, sorry. I kept the names and parties out and thought that was enough.

illabelle
11-04-2014, 14:03
Sorry for your loss, ILB.

thank you.

Teacher & Snacktime
11-04-2014, 14:08

Sorry to hear....our sympathies.

WingedMonkey
11-04-2014, 14:23
I guess it'd be a serious violation to talk about the guy with a gun I saw smoking pot near where we voted?

:)

(p.s. I didn't really see a guy with a gun smoking pot, etc. etc.)

Only one of those was on the ballot here.

:sun

Slo-go'en
11-04-2014, 14:38
It was a good excess to take a walk to town hall, about a 5 mile round trip. Mid forties with overcast skies. Along the way I noticed Justin Beaver and his gang are taking down some serious trees along the river bank which parallels the road.

Odd Man Out
11-04-2014, 14:44
I will skip voting for the unopposed candidates, especially if they are in the "wrong" party. As per the instructions, I won't say which party that is ;-)

atmilkman
11-04-2014, 14:57
One year I did cast a write in vote for "Ficus" for a state election. I thought that a houseplant could do a better job than either of the candidates on the ballot.
One year I wrote my ex-wife in for president. And, over the years Mickey has gotten more than one vote.

CarlZ993
11-04-2014, 16:10
Did early voting in Austin. Showed my ID, signed a form, & voted for the least objectionable politician in each race. Had a few bond elections as well. I did my civic duty.

BuckeyeBill
11-04-2014, 17:26
I also voted early. Two bond issues and the rest was politicians. Selected the least objectionable of the liars club.

Treton
11-04-2014, 17:32
I voted! I felt so torn though. We had a third party candidate that I really wanted But I couldn't bring myself to "throw away" a vote like that. So I went with the lesser of the two evils. Hard Times.

Coffee
11-04-2014, 17:41
There was also a credible third party candidate running for the house in my district but the seat is not competitive at all. Although an open seat this year, the incumbent party will easily get 65-70%+ of the vote.

shelb
11-05-2014, 00:30
Done! However, husband did not make it home from work in time! He will get an absentee ballot next time!

swjohnsey
11-05-2014, 00:32
If voting could make a difference it would be illegal.

Teacher & Snacktime
11-05-2014, 00:33
I voted! I felt so torn though. We had a third party candidate that I really wanted But I couldn't bring myself to "throw away" a vote like that. So I went with the lesser of the two evils. Hard Times.

I had the exact same quandary and did the exact same thing. Imagine if everyone who didn't "throw away their vote" actually voted for that candidate.....he/she'd probably win!

rocketsocks
11-05-2014, 01:07
...and yes, I Vote.

atmilkman
11-05-2014, 01:21
...and yes, I Vote.

I'm voting for you in '16.

rocketsocks
11-05-2014, 01:47
I'm voting for you in '16.
your wastin' a vote, I never won nothin' :(

July
11-05-2014, 03:48
your wastin' a vote, I never won nothin' :(

Trust me ......rocketsocks is NOT where you need ton"cast".

Tuckahoe
11-05-2014, 07:48
To all who voted, thank you!

Sarcasm the elf
11-05-2014, 08:08
If voting could make a difference it would be illegal.

Voting makes a difference. Just ask all the kids that got the day off from school yesterday.

Rocket Jones
11-05-2014, 08:17
I saw that in one district in Arizona, out of almost 80,000 votes cast, the difference was 36 votes between the winner and loser. Votes count.

Pedaling Fool
11-05-2014, 09:02
I think some people expect too much from the voting process. Democracies (I know, we are not a true Democracy...) are tough and gridlock is just part of our form of govt, there is no way around it.

So, voting is just one way we keep it (our govt) going, but don't expect quick change; it's more like watching glaciers move -- you just gotta accept that fact of life. Protesting by not voting is not true protesting, you're just doing what you're always doing -- nothing. However, if that's what you want to do, go for it. I won't say that you have NO right to complain, you do, but don't think you're protesting.

Here's an interesting story on compulsory voting, not that I'm for it, but it is the law in Australia. http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ruth-marcus-a-case-for-compulsory-voting/2014/11/04/9b486afe-6463-11e4-836c-83bc4f26eb67_story.html?wpisrc=nl_opin&wpmm=1

Tuckahoe
11-05-2014, 09:28
I think some people expect too much from the voting process. Democracies (I know, we are not a true Democracy...) are tough and gridlock is just part of our form of govt, there is no way around it.

So, voting is just one way we keep it (our govt) going, but don't expect quick change; it's more like watching glaciers move -- you just gotta accept that fact of life. Protesting by not voting is not true protesting, you're just doing what you're always doing -- nothing. However, if that's what you want to do, go for it. I won't say that you have NO right to complain, you do, but don't think you're protesting.

Here's an interesting story on compulsory voting, not that I'm for it, but it is the law in Australia. http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ruth-marcus-a-case-for-compulsory-voting/2014/11/04/9b486afe-6463-11e4-836c-83bc4f26eb67_story.html?wpisrc=nl_opin&wpmm=1

<Insert golf clap .gif here>

Coffee
11-05-2014, 09:45
Mandatory voting is a form of tyranny. Low voter participation can be an important signal that robs the powers that be of legitimacy when appropriate. The power to boycott an election has proven very valuable throughout the world in many situations.

Alligator
11-05-2014, 10:50
Kudos to everyone who took the time to participate in this year's elections.

This thread is now closed.