PDA

View Full Version : Silk Sleeping Bag Liner, recommendations?

Danwood
11-04-2014, 08:40
One of the moderators over at /r/appalachiantrail (which is also an awesome resource to use) recommended using a silk sleeping bag liner in conjunction with a quilt. Cocoon, Sea to Summit, and Grand Trunk seem to be some of the top producers of these. Does anyone have any specific recommendations on a make/model?

Slo-go'en
11-04-2014, 12:25
I have a couple of the Cocoons. (I left my first one home, then decided I needed one while on the trail so bought another). The Cocoons are pure silk, pack small and are light.

The Sea to Summits which I have looked at are synthetic and significantly larger and heavier. There are several weights to choose from and are probably a little warmer then the Cocoons.

I have no experience with Grand Trunk, never seen one.

DeerPath
11-04-2014, 14:37
I have the Grand Trunk Silk bag. Used it a few nights on the AT in 20 degree temps with my WM Alpine bag. I stayed very warm with the addition of the silk bag.

jimmyjam
11-04-2014, 16:20
I have a Cocoon and I like it. Helps keep your bag or quilt clean too. Packs up to about half the size of a 12 oz beer.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

TNhiker
11-04-2014, 16:33
with those silk liners----have y'all had any rips in them or are they pretty durable?

currently, im using a fleece liner my mom made me one day.......cost like 15 bucks for the material...........a little on the bulky side and probably heavy but it was cheaper than most silks.....

and i agree---i use it to keep down bag a little cleaner.........

T-Rx
11-04-2014, 16:38
I also have a 100% silk liner, I forget which brand, and I agee they are very compact & lightweight. They will also definitely help keep your bag cleaner and add some warmth. In warmer weather I will sleep in the liner and use a quilt or open my bag like a quilt. The down side to the liner for me is that I tend to move a lot while sleeping and the liner can get tangled up around me sometimes.

Lyle
11-04-2014, 17:10
Cocoon, mummy style, silk. Also have a rectangular I bought by mistake. Been using the mummy for many years. This last trip the side seem started to rip out, about 8 inches. Did a quick double stitched repair job (ugly stitching but effective) and it was good for the next 21 nights, no sign of ripping out again. Would buy another Cocoon brand without hesitation if I ever need to.

Great for keeping any stray drafts off when sleeping quilt style, good for warm nights by itself, and always keeps the bag cleaner - amazing how dirty the liner gets, dirt that would otherwise be in your sleeping bag, compromising it's loft. Easy to wash either by hand or with your normal laundry.

gbolt
11-04-2014, 19:42
I own a cacoon silk liner that I have used tent camping for years. Now that I am hanging, I still use it in Shelters, Hostels and as a Summer Top Quilt. You can't beat it at 4.9 oz. and is durable. I plan on purchasing a S2S Thermmolite Liner at 8.1 oz to work in conjunction with the Silk Liner. Both together at 12.10 oz. it is a light weight Top Quilt for Temps over 50* and again in Hostels or on the Ground.

kayak karl
11-04-2014, 19:59
I own a cacoon silk liner that I have used tent camping for years. Now that I am hanging, I still use it in Shelters, Hostels and as a Summer Top Quilt. You can't beat it at 4.9 oz. and is durable. I plan on purchasing a S2S Thermmolite Liner at 8.1 oz to work in conjunction with the Silk Liner. Both together at 12.10 oz. it is a light weight Top Quilt for Temps over 50* and again in Hostels or on the Ground.
if you want to use it hammocking you can cut a head hole and two arm holes in it and wear it like a night shirt.

Dogwood
11-04-2014, 20:52
A specific rec would be more dialed in if we knew exactly what your goals are for a liner. For example, my goals are in line with UL(least wt), ultimate compactness, a soft hand/slipperiness(I toss and turn in my sleep so prefer the 100% silk and rip stop silk versions since I feel they are less binding although the polyester/microfiber versions are rather slippery IMO too), usually mummy shaped, adding only a few degrees of temp increase(about 5-8*), keeping my pricier down bags cleaner, reducing drafts when coupled with a quilt considering I toss and turn on my sides all night, etc. C2Summit has a new version that stretches more along the length with a small lycra band so is less binding which some sleepers have an issue with a liner. Cocoon and C2Summit have informative websites. They both make liners in differ temp ratings, fabrics, sizes, shapes, features, etc. All liners are NOT equal! Peruse both sites.

http://www.cocoon.at/eng/show.php?doc=frameset&page=whichcocoon

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/22

I've owned the versions I stated above. I've enjoyed them all and believe them to be high quality, quite durable considering that most of the ones I've had are silk, and easily taken care of products from both Cocoon and c2Summit. I don't know about Grand Trunk liners.

As per your question TNhiker, yes I've punctured and torn both Cocoon and C2Summit 100% and silk ripstop liners. Obviously, the rip stops. They are easily repaired by sewing them up, applying some Tenacious Tape, etc

Danwood
11-05-2014, 02:17
Hahaha, thank you for the perfect imagery of the size. I'm guessing it doesn't weight the same though, eh?

Danwood
11-05-2014, 02:25
^Whoops sorry this was in reply to the beer can comment. I'm not really used to whiteblaze's forum yet.

gbolt
11-05-2014, 19:45
if you want to use it hammocking you can cut a head hole and two arm holes in it and wear it like a night shirt.

I actually plan to cut both liners down the center of the back and then cut a T towards the bottom to form a foot box. This will allow me to use each seperate or slide one in the other for my feet and then pull up over me just like a quilt. Just wish the silk was a rectancle instead of a mummy bag. If it fails maybe the night shirt will still be possible!

Cedar1974
11-05-2014, 22:13
I don't know about silk liners, but I use a Magellan 100% polyester mummy liner. It packs small, and is rather light. It works well with my current bag,and cost less than the silk.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Treehugger
11-12-2014, 08:52
Jag Bags made in NZ. I just bought one and used it in my Feathered Friends bag and it was very comfortable. Thicker silk than some other brands. Not as pricey either. Happy with the product and will bring on my AT thru next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theinfamousj
11-12-2014, 20:02
I have a Grand Trunk and a Dreamsack. In Amazon, am the one who posted a video review for the Grand Trunk single.

I like both.

Durability wise, the stuff sack for the Grand Trunk had the stitching rip out, but that is it.

I stitched the stuff sack back up and stitched up the sides a bit more to make it more enclosed and am happy as a pig in clover, so they say.

Also happy with the Dreamsack brand bag. Have had no durability issues with that one.

theinfamousj
11-12-2014, 20:32
PS: I use a rectangular liner in my mummy bag. I found mummy liners to be more restrictive than the bags they were supposed to line.

squeezebox
11-13-2014, 11:26
I'm planning on wearing silk longies instead. Less twisted up than in a bag. About the same wt. For comfort I need some sort of pajamas.