PDA

View Full Version : Odum Scout/ Pinhoti

blisterbob
11-04-2014, 17:47
Election day, shadowsue and I elected to go hiking.
Seemed the best choice; vote for the incumbent crooks
or vote for new crooks.

We started at High Falls just after daybreak, the water flow at the falls is very low.
The 4 miles on the Odum Scout trail to POC (Pinhoti, Odum, Chinnabee) intersection clear of new deadfalls
and easy to follow the beaten path. This trail had yellow blazes at one time, but now someone has painted
over them with brown paint.
The seasonal stream at POC has water and the 4 or 5 seasonal seeps between Heaven and Adams Gap also
had some water but may dry up soon. This section also was clear of new deadfalls and easy to follow even
with all the fresh leaves falling. There is adequate blue blazes in the boulder fields where it is sometimes
difficult to see the treadway.
I would say the leaves will be close to peak by this week-end. We saw no other hikers on this 10 mile hike,
but 1 campsite just south of POC had fresh ashes in the fire pit and someone had left 6 or 7 cans of vegetable
beef soup at Heaven.

bb

Mountain Dog
11-04-2014, 20:33
Thanks for the report. Always good to hear about water and at this time of the year, the leaves.

Matt65
11-06-2014, 09:25
Excellent trail report.

I saw those same cans two weeks ago on Sunday. Certainly made me shake my head. I was very close to hauling them out. I may start carrying a P38 to dump the food and pack the cans.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/06/d30db9b4ff355661e4dbb9aa64e3e226.jpg

blisterbob
11-06-2014, 18:42
I thought about that but then it just might be a good find for a hungry hiker.
It looks like they tried to burn the emptys which gets a lot of criticism, but
worse would be to leave emptys with food residue that attract insects.
BEST choice, LNT

JBEN
11-13-2014, 08:05
Arghhhhh!!!! C'mon people....Agreed BlisterBob...LNT!!!