PDA

View Full Version : TP vs Wet Wipes vs leaves....

Hammock Hanger
10-19-2005, 21:42
This started on another topic but I thought I would give it, it's own subject line.

As a woman on the trial what is your "wipe of choice? If it is artificial do you carry it out? If it is not biodegradable to you still drop it in the privy hole?

Just wondering??

I use the Dab Rag.

CynJ
10-19-2005, 22:02
Because I have problems with easily catching a yeast infection (I have some hormonal imbalances that play havoc with my systems) I tend to be really careful about what I use in the woods. (and its why I am asking those questions in the other threads as well)

I generally have some tp or single ply napkins that I pack in and pack back out in a zippy for my day hikes.

For longer hikes I am planning on using biodegradable tb and burying it where I can and packing out where I can't.

Singer
10-19-2005, 22:24
So far the best solution for me is single ply toilet paper and, for that time of the month, Instead cups (available at walmart). I pack out both (my husband can't stand this idea, but he doesn't use as much TP as me.) I hate to see TP in half dissolved glops in the woods, so I won't leave mine for others to see.

Hammock Hanger
10-19-2005, 23:02
I hate to see TP in half dissolved glops in the woods, so I won't leave mine for others to see.
This has always been a pet peeve of mine, made me embarassed to be a woman. I always have the kids from the camp pack out the TP. Even when buried most animals will dig it up and then there are those wads all over the place.

DebW
10-20-2005, 10:02
I use nothing when I pee in the woods.

Hammock Hanger
10-20-2005, 10:06
I use nothing when I pee in the woods.
so I guess I should have put shake and dribble in the poll:jump

I do this on occasion but find I get a little wet on my upper thigh and occasionally get a rash...

any tricks you can share...

Bad Ass Turtle
10-20-2005, 10:41
I use shake and dribble as well -- the only trick I can tell ya, HH, is to bounce your ass up and down quite a few times. The advantage to NOT using TP is that you can get your business done quickly, before someone else comes along the trail. Disadvantage -- well, there's that whole ass shaking up and down thing . . .

JojoSmiley
10-20-2005, 12:09
I use a dab rag for the pee and a wet wipe for the other and at that time of the month in conjuction with the usual stuff.

flyfisher
10-20-2005, 12:14
Sorry Deb, I did not see it was a womans only poll.

frieden
10-20-2005, 21:55
I use biodegradable tp, and pack it out in a zip baggie.

Marta
10-20-2005, 22:57
I use little packets of Kleenex because it's easier to keep track of how much I've got with me. I usually figure on one per day, which is generous. I pack them out. Easy to keep in my pocket and to pull one out to make the whole process go quickly. I have tried the shake and drip dry method, and the dab rag but don't like the result. (Ditto with the rash problem.) For serious business I use dry leaves to start with, which go into the cat hole, and then one tissue. Once a day I use a section of Personal Cleansing Cloth (I chop up the sheets and keep them in a snack-sized bag) for a real cleanup.

BTW, on this week's short hike (three days) I carried a little bottle of isopropyl alcohol and gave myself a sponge bath in strategic areas at the end of the day. (First I used water to get the actual grime off, as well as the salt from sweat.) There was no B.O. at the end of the hike! The Mountain Hardware T I always wear is terrible for picking up odor, but this time there wasn't any. I got the idea from Brawny and Rainmaker's site. I used a bandana as the washcloth, which is easy to rinse out and quick to dry. At the end of three days the only part of me that was not feeling too clean was my hair.

Red Hat
10-22-2005, 09:56
I carry a few wet wipes and resupply in towns (usually a pack of about 10). Even if I only pee, I still wipe because I chafe easily, but I do carry out my wipes and dispose of them in garbage cans. A wet wipe bath is important at the end of the day too. Red Hat

CreakyBonze
02-05-2006, 21:16
8 wetwipes weigh just under 2 oz. Just as an experiment, I air dried those 8. Dry they are 1/2 oz. So, I then experimented further to see how much water it would take to moisten the wipe, without making it soggy. And to see if it accomplished the same thing....scent was there, it felt soft as in lotion or aloe.

Hmm, now, I don't use an alcohol based wipe in personal areas, and I found unscented baby wipes so I don't have to worry about odors that attract critters with these.
I don't do preparations as extensively for food as most of you seem to do, so I'm thinking... If I could carry twice as many wipes for the same weight, I'd rather carry more cleansing stuff as my luxury item. You should see my other bedroom....a drying rack with little butt wipes draped over them.

My brother thinks I've gone over the edge with this one. Am I being silly?

If I don't dry these, its going to be washing with a specific bandana, and taking more tp...which is also packed out.

:confused:

CreakyBonze
02-05-2006, 21:29
old timer disease..sent twice

mindi
02-13-2006, 13:48
I plan on taking both tp and wet wipes, and packing out both. The tp for when I have to dig a cathole, and the wet wipes for extra cleanup during that time of the month and for a quick 'bath' before bed when I get super-grimy. I'll probably use the drip and shake method when I pee. I don't like the idea of leaving anything in the woods, even biodegradable tp...I don't want it getting dug up and having someone else have to walk by it. Ick.
:) Mindi

springchicken
02-13-2006, 18:00
Creaky Bonze, you may have just gone over th edge, but I love that idea! I'm going to go home tonight and start drying out my wet wipes...

I like wet wipes because they aren't rendered useless when they get wet, unlike tp. Bandanas are good for wiping up pee, too.

neo
02-13-2006, 19:09
i prefer toilet paper,i also carry a small bottle of purell hand sanitizer in my silnylon bag with mt tp:cool: neo

dougmeredith
02-13-2006, 20:35
As I was clicking my response, I thought "what the hell is 'dab rag' doing on the list?" Right after this, I noticed the forum. Sorry.

Doug

Blissful
02-13-2006, 22:02
8 wetwipes weigh just under 2 oz. Just as an experiment, I air dried those 8. Dry they are 1/2 oz. So, I then experimented further to see how much water it would take to moisten the wipe, without making it soggy. And to see if it accomplished the same thing....scent was there, it felt soft as in lotion or aloe.

My brother thinks I've gone over the edge with this one. Am I being silly?

If I don't dry these, its going to be washing with a specific bandana, and taking more tp...which is also packed out.

:confused:

Wow, thank goodness someone is confirming what I have been thinking! I've been wondering if you could dry those things and then revitalize them. I mean, you can with the dry Oil of Olay facial wipes. But I also have other painful areas at times, so these kinds of wipes are going to be a necessity, or man, it is gonna hurt. :o

Nokia
02-14-2006, 01:39
Okay So I'm not a woman, but I did hike with a few :). Linus in 2005 took wet wipes and extra soap so she could take bird baths every night before bed she went to bed and seemed to think this greatly cut down on chafing. She said it also helped to make her feel cleaner during that time of the month. Several other women also said that this little extra "bathing" really helped thier mental out look on not being able to shower every day or every other day.
Hope it isn't bad form to post to a women's forum. Thought it might help.

Icicle
03-01-2006, 11:44
Last year I started out with regular tp - would pack it to the shelter and then use it to start the campfire!

But then I switched to a dab rag - it was a cotton washcloth that I rinsed out with my Dr Bonner's...so I got minty fresh clean. hehe

Will probably always use a dab rag now. Used to keep it in an outside mesh pocket on my backpack so it was always handy - but also away from everything else.

Hammock Hanger
03-01-2006, 12:58
Last year I started out with regular tp - would pack it to the shelter and then use it to start the campfire!

But then I switched to a dab rag - it was a cotton washcloth that I rinsed out with my Dr Bonner's...so I got minty fresh clean. hehe

Will probably always use a dab rag now. Used to keep it in an outside mesh pocket on my backpack so it was always handy - but also away from everything else.

I will never give up my dab rag. That and a skirt make life so simple. I use a 4 x 4 square of chamois cloth, very absorbent. Cleans and dries fast.

Volleydoll18
03-06-2006, 15:36
Check out a thing called the "freshette". I find that it's easier than trying to hide in the woods and exposing myself... instead just turn around like a guy, when your done, drag it forward removing the excess moisture. quick and easy. :cool:

camich
03-06-2006, 17:01
http://www.freshette.com/

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-09-2006, 00:19
For pee, I use a dab rag or drip dry. For the other, I use TP and pack it out in a ziplock.

ToeJam
04-06-2006, 10:09
OK I have searched a bit and can't figure out *specifically* what you all mean by dab rag. :o I get the general idea and chamois seems like a good choice, but do you mean basically use it as a washcloth for the nether regions (and some use for pee/dribbles?).. and then RE-use it? I am a bit concerned of getting a uti that way maybe tho?

Also, I use Instead all year long and will be lucky enough for that time of the month to be totally within our 300 mile section next week. In previous years I have lucked out timing-wise and not had to worry much, but I am a BIT conerned about possible mess when changing them... if anyone uses them you know what I mean, or maybe its just me that makes a mess even at HOME when getting them over to the sink to rinse out lol! I wouldn't be surprised... peeing is quick out there, esp with my skort but if you add in the time involved in doing that, it makes it all a but more complicated fer sure...

roxy33x
04-06-2006, 11:24
I would think that a dab rag would get nasty.... do you keep it in a bag then wash it out every night? Does it dry in time? I plan on using biodegradable wet wipes that are dried out. And maybe a little pack of kleneex.

Catsgoing
04-06-2006, 11:33
Why not bring the T. Paper used in RV's. My Dad has it and it almost falls apart just with a wipe. It falls apart real fast in the tolite. Nothing worse than a raw p p when camping.

???????????????????????????????????????????????? Question

Hana_Hanger
04-06-2006, 19:57
Wow I am impressed with this Freshette idea...Thanks so much for sharing :)

Michele
04-22-2006, 00:34
http://myvag.net/pee/standing/

Here's a link that tells women the steps to learn how to pee standing up w/out any other devices.

I am thinking about learning how to do this....I'll admit I've tried it once in the shower and didn't do too badly, but it would have been a mess if I'd had clothes on. From what I hear...you can practice enough to not even have to drop your pants, but instead, you can just unzip. We'll see......

The General
04-22-2006, 05:51
Hey Nokia don't apologise, I read these female sites all the time and to be honest more male hikers should. There is not much that is private on the Trail and the stuff that is don't stay that way for long.
I look at it this way, we all know that the fairer sex are different from us but thats no excuse for ignorance. I taught Female Cadets tactics and fieldcraft at the British Royal Military Academy and had to deal with all manner of problems and questions in particular hygene in the field. I would have been failing in my duty to them not to know the answers. This is a great site and more men should read it, Ignorance is no excuse.
Keep it coming Ladies.

Knowledge is power.