PDA

View Full Version : 2 day Shenandoah Valley Loop Trails

RickBarnwell
11-05-2014, 21:13
Evening fellow white blazers!
I'm an aspiring NOBO 2015 thru hiker from Baltimore. I've been section hiking north of harpers ferry all summer and this weekend I am trying to get out for a long weekend in the Shenandoah Valley.

I'm looking for a good loop off the AT. Obviously I will be not on the beloved AT the entire time but I wanted to do a loop so I can easily get back to the car without hitching or backtracking.

Anybody have any favourite loops in that area? Looking for somewhere that I can park the car and is hopefully in the northish area so I don't have to drive that far coming from Baltimore.

Thanks for the advice! Hike on friends!

Malto
11-05-2014, 21:53
Look into the big run area on the SW side of SNP. You didn't say how far you want to hike but there are several loops to be looped in the area.

MDSection12
11-05-2014, 22:02
My vote would be Cedar Run/Whiteoak Canyon to Old Rag (camp near Byrd's Nest shelter) the first day then over Old Rag to Robertson Mountain (camp on the peak) the second day... This was my first backpacking trip ever and still one of my favorites. I spent five hours on the road yesterday (from Frederick) just to day hike over Old Rag... It's that good.

johnnybgood
11-05-2014, 23:06
Here's one I did , was recommended to me . This was a moderately difficult 2 day hike - 25- 30 miles.
Grab a northern district SNP map ( #9 ) and a compass , if you desire before heading out. Camping options are plentiful along Keyser Run at the junction . Water should be retreived at every opportunity this time of year .

Park at Beahms Gap- SD milepost 28.5.
* Hike AT north to Thornton River Trail connector,turn right.
* Cross Skyline Drive, descend Thornton River trail to Junction Hull School.
* Turn left, climb Hull School trail to High point at Fork Mountain trail junction,
then continue to descend Hull School trail to Piney Branch trail.
*Ford Piney Branch, then ascend Piney Branch trail to Pole Bridge link trail.
*Turn right on Pole Bridge link trail, to Keyser Run Fire Road.
*Turn right , descending Keyser Run Fire Road, crossing a parking lot at the bottom junction.
*Here you will connect the Little Devils Stairs Trail.
* A moderate ascent up Little Devils Stairs until it ends at the "Fourway" atop the mountain.
* At this junction get back on the Keyser Run Fire Road,turning right to climb Keyser Fire Rd to the Skyline Drive.
* Cross the Skyline Drive, a short spur trail then reconnects the AT.
* Turn left on the AT, follow sobo back to Beahms Gap , and your car.

Rocket Jones
11-06-2014, 07:20
A while back we did a short overnighter in the Northern section of SNP that started in Elk Wallow. Park there, then hike the AT south until you turn off onto the Neighbor Mountain trail. Up and over, then down to the bottom of Jeremy's Run. Camp there. The next morning continue up Jeremy's Run and back to Elk Wallow. Beautiful. On weekends though, Jeremy's Run can be a bit of a highway from day hikers.

RickBarnwell
11-07-2014, 18:50
Thanks for all the tips guys! Now there's decisions to make.

Coffee
11-12-2014, 09:01
I did a 10-11 mile day hike near Big Meadows yesterday. Took the Rapidan Fire Road to the Mill Prong horse trail to Rapidan Camp, then hiked up Laurel Prong trail to the AT and took the AT back to Big Meadows. There is no camping near Rapidan Camp but quite a bit of camping along Laurel Prong. This isn't enough for a 2 day trip but I noticed that the area that the Jones Mountain Trail leads to looked interesting. I can see how a nice two day loop could be made by taking the Jones Mountain Trail, then the Staunton River Trail to Graves Mill, back to the Rapidan Fire road and Big Meadows. This area appears very lightly used.

All of the other options listed above are good options as well.