PDA

View Full Version : Is the Watauga shelter still closed

misterfloyd
11-06-2014, 10:24
Hello,

As I plan to go from US 19 to Damascus I have to ask are the shelters around Watauga lake still closed.

I remember that one or two were over the summer, are they still closed? Could you please tell me which ones?

Thank you for the information.

Best,
Floyd

Sly
11-06-2014, 10:33
Yup, still closed and as far as I know will be until December of 2015 if not longer. Also, I believe there's a relo in the area which should be well posted.

Tennessee Viking
11-06-2014, 11:45
The section between US 321 and Wilbur Dam Road is still open to hiking. But all camping, picnicking, and other recreation within the area are not permitted. The USFS notice is up till late 2015.

Watauga Lake Shelter and the area camping sites are affected.

The best plans are to shack up at Dennis Cove/Hampton hostels, or camp at Pond Flats.

LittleRock
11-06-2014, 12:55
There's also a decent campsite (no water) just north of Wilbur Dam Rd. I stopped for water at the Watauga shelter then hiked on and camped there.

misterfloyd
11-06-2014, 15:20
Hey guys thanks for your help.

Thank you for that tip about the campsite as well, I will put that down before I leave.

Sly, you said there is a relo in that area. Is that a relocation of the trail? Could you be more specific if possible?

Thanks
Floyd

misterfloyd
11-06-2014, 15:21
BTW,

They haven't relocated that bear(s)? Or is there another problem?

Tennessee Viking
11-06-2014, 16:14
Hey guys thanks for your help.

Thank you for that tip about the campsite as well, I will put that down before I leave.

Sly, you said there is a relo in that area. Is that a relocation of the trail? Could you be more specific if possible?

Thanks
FloydI was part of TEHCC right before the relo was worked on. The trail was moved from the higher hillside to more lakeside trail somewhere between the fisherman's camp to the shelter.

Jeanette
11-07-2014, 08:45
Thanks for posting this - I'm so glad I saw it! I am planning a hike from Kincora to Damascus next June and had planned on staying at Wautauga Lake Shelter, so this is definitely good to know!

Are other shelters in that stretch (Vandeventer, Iron Mountain, Double Springs, Abingdon Gap) that are closed also?

Sly
11-07-2014, 10:51

Thanks
Floyd

Uuum, not really. Bob Peoples said something at the Gathering and mentioned Oliver Hollow Road which skirts Watauga Lake. Relo or not, other than Watauga Lake Shelter closing it shouldn't affect your hike.