PDA

View Full Version : Laurel Highland Hiking Trail Veterans Day

RangerZ
11-06-2014, 13:17
Anybody else out on the LHHT this weekend? I'm going to finish the southern half, RT 31 to Ohiopyle, Saturday thru Tuesday, 8/6/12/6 miles/day. Columbus Day weekend I did the northern half. I hate to leave it undone until the spring.

The weather forecast seems to be tolerable, highs 40/50, lows in the 30s, maybe a little snow.

The State Park assures me that there's still water and firewood at the shelter areas.

Happy Veterans Day to all that serve/served. Remember what it's all about.

RangerZ
11-11-2014, 23:45
I finished the southern 32 miles of the LHHT today, RT 31 to Ohiopyle. I liked it better than the northern half. The weather was good 40/50 highs, lows in the 30s, no precip. Light snow had been forecasted for Saturday night but didn't happen.

I did 8.5, 5.5, 12.2 and 6.3 miles. On Saturday I crossed through Seven Springs ski area, right along some ski runs, under ski lifts, etc. I liked the 5.5 miles on Sunday the best, it was relatively flat and easy trail, except the last mile or so to the shelter area. It was a steep downhill that I wouldn't recommend in the dark or when wet. In theory at one point you can see the Steel Building in Pittsburgh 40 some miles away but I think that you need to squint hard and have a good imagination. I got an early start on Monday for the 12.2 mile day, on the trail before 7 AM. Saw some wind turbines, that area of SW PA has a bunch of wind farms. The last 2.8 miles to the Ohiopyle Shelter Area is a 1300' downhill, slow with the leaves covering the rocks and branches on the ground. Today was much warmer, started with my soft shell but soon took it off and eventually zipper off my pants legs. Mile 4 -> 3 kicked my butt. After averaging 1.5-2 MPH it took me an hour to make that mile uphill. Mile 2.5 -> 1 is a sidehill down hill trail, you have to remain vigilant, in some places if you went over the edge you'd roll all the way to the railroad tracks at the bottom. There's a great view of the Youghiogheny River at about mile 2.

I tented at the shelter areas but remain unimpressed by the tent sites. PA DCNR needs to put some work into leveling the areas better and, like the rest of PA, they were rocky. Makes it hard to find a right sized area. The shelters and privies remain in good shape, even TP and hand sanitizer. The water pumps all worked and firewood had been dumped in the areas.

There seems to be more flowing streams in the southern half than the northern.

I spent Monday night at the Ohiopyle Shelter with Matthew (Hungry Horse NOBO 2014). He's knocking off the LHHT before starting a job next week.

July
11-12-2014, 01:59
Good Trip Report. SOS for Breakfast?

July
11-12-2014, 02:09
Ft Benning.

July
11-12-2014, 02:25
Plus : appalavhian

Plus ********************. Check it..

July
11-12-2014, 02:26
Appalachian Trail Cafe.

RangerZ
11-12-2014, 07:11
Good Trip Report. SOS for Breakfast?

I'd do sos but i'm not there yet with my trail cooking. Breakfast was oatmeal and cereal.

Huh? To your other replies.