PDA

View Full Version : Pack size?

squeezebox
11-06-2014, 14:12
So what size pack do you use? I'll probably start cold weather with a 70 L pack. wt. 4lbs. I'm hoping I can switch to a 50 L pack for summer, 2 lbs. Nice wt. saving. Not to mention the extra wt. & size of the winter clothes

hikernutcasey
11-06-2014, 14:38
So what size pack do you use? I'll probably start cold weather with a 70 L pack. wt. 4lbs. I'm hoping I can switch to a 50 L pack for summer, 2 lbs. Nice wt. saving. Not to mention the extra wt. & size of the winter clothesHave you tried putting your gear in a 70L pack? That is a HUGE pack. I have a 58L pack and it's too big but I chose it so I could carry some of my sons stuff when I take him on trips.

saltysack
11-06-2014, 15:30
Have you tried putting your gear in a 70L pack? That is a HUGE pack. I have a 58L pack and it's too big but I chose it so I could carry some of my sons stuff when I take him on trips.

Agree....my ULA circuit is really bigger than I need even in winter but is really light...lil xtra is nice when I carry some of my kids gear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee
11-06-2014, 15:55
The Circuit is a really nice size pack and the main compartment isn't really as big as it might seem looking at the specs. The specs include side pockets/hipbelt/mesh pocket in total volume. I find that when I have less than three days of food, I usually have to leave my sleeping bag relatively uncompressed to consume the extra volume.

Jake2c
11-06-2014, 16:14
I have a Black Diamond 50. Have not really tried to pack out for winter though I will this year. More than big enough for 3 seasons. This is a top loader.

swisscross
11-06-2014, 16:33
I recently purchased a Circuit and it is huge for my needs.
I typically only get out for a few days at time.
My 3 season gear does not come within 6 inches of the loop frame. I only had my tent poles and ground sheet in the back mesh pocket AND the two pounds of trash I carried out.

I want to do more shoulder seasons and longer distance trips thus my decision to go with the Circuit.
With more selective gear decisions I could definitely go with a smaller pack.

saltysack
11-06-2014, 16:45
The Circuit is a really nice size pack and the main compartment isn't really as big as it might seem looking at the specs. The specs include side pockets/hipbelt/mesh pocket in total volume. I find that when I have less than three days of food, I usually have to leave my sleeping bag relatively uncompressed to consume the extra volume.

I've never used any compression sacks in this pack...I've had my marmot helium 15 deg down bag and my JRB 45 deg quilt plus all gear and food for 4 day hike still have room...pack just over 2lbs empty not bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freightliner
11-07-2014, 08:05
So what size pack do you use? I'll probably start cold weather with a 70 L pack. wt. 4lbs. I'm hoping I can switch to a 50 L pack for summer, 2 lbs. Nice wt. saving. Not to mention the extra wt. & size of the winter clothes
Wow 4 pound pack no wonder you got so pissy about pack weight. My 65L ULA epic pack only weighs 2 pounds and its all the pack I need for 4 season hiking. It's also great that I never have to worry about anything ever getting wet. I'll carry the extra pound for that. I also have extra bags for day hiking and trail maintenance. I just pulled one out and slip the next one in it's that simple.

Jake27
11-09-2014, 22:24
I use a Zpacks arc blast 52l for all year round.I think roll top bag is the way to go.