PDA

View Full Version : Going lighter

Havana
11-06-2014, 17:20
My 49 year old knees aren't all that fond of a heavy pack and I'm getting ready to go light. I've taken three pounds off my sleep system, one pound off my tent, now for the pack.

I do mostly 2-3 night trips in generally warmer weather so I'm not looking for an winter expedition pack. I've gotten pretty good at paring down my load though I'm by no means an ultralight hiker. I imagine a base weight (after purchasing all this lightweight gear) of around 15 pounds though some of that depends on just how lightweight I go.

I've got a 3.5 lb Osprey that I really like but it's on the chopping block as it now weighs about the same as my bag, tent, & pad combined. It just seems a sin to be so light in some areas and heavy in another. I generally like something with some structure so totally frameless is out of the question. Given that, I'm looking at two options: ULA Circuit or the Zpack Arc Blast. The Circuit shaves a little over a pound off of my current pack weight and the Arc Blast shaves off 2.5. It would seem a no brainer given that weight is my primary criteria.

A weight savings 2.5 pounds is awfully appealing though I worry that the Arc Blast will be too little pack -- can something that light really get the job done with reasonable comfort and durability? Does anyone have experience with both and can help me with my quandary?

Coffee
11-06-2014, 17:31
I started a thread some time ago on the very topic of the Circuit vs. Arc Blast. Here is a link, check it out:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/98561-ULA-Circuit-vs-zPacks-Arc-Blast

FWIW, I decided to stick with my Circuit and have not regretted that decision. My base weight is about the same as yours, maybe a bit lower. Since starting that thread, I've used the Circuit on a AT section hike and on a Colorado Trail thru hike where my pack weight hovered between 22-27 pounds most of the time. I now have 1100 miles on my Circuit.

Nodust
11-06-2014, 17:39
The ULA ohm 2.0 or GG Gorilla may be worth looking into. I have a Gorilla and my son uses a ohm. Both are about the same. We each have a base of 12-15# and 25-28# is a good weight starting a trip loaded with food and water.

Both are a little lighter than the Circuit. But a little smaller capacity.

Havana
11-06-2014, 17:42
Thanks for the pointer to the other thread. That's exactly what I was looking for. Someday the search function on this forum will work better. :)

Coffee
11-06-2014, 17:48
Try using Google rather than the whiteblaze search. This format works well typed into the Google search box:

site:whiteblaze.net whatever you are searching for

Havana
11-06-2014, 17:51
Try using Google rather than the whiteblaze search. This format works well typed into the Google search box:

site:whiteblaze.net whatever you are searching for

Awesome tip. Is there any bit of knowledge that can't be learned on Whiteblaze.

quasarr
11-06-2014, 19:26
A weight savings 2.5 pounds is awfully appealing though I worry that the Arc Blast will be too little pack -- can something that light really get the job done with reasonable comfort and durability? Does anyone have experience with both and can help me with my quandary?

I haven't used the Arc Blast myself, but it is a very popular pack on the PCT. Comfort of course is subjective, but I don't think you need to worry about durability. Plenty of hikers use this pack for the whole PCT, including stuffing a giant bear canister in there for a couple hundred miles. If you are doing short trips I think this pack will last a very long time.

dmax
11-06-2014, 20:25
I have an arc blast and I'd have to say its outstanding. It carries the weight on my hips where I need it. I went with the 52L. But if you need more room the 60L is only 0.5 ounces more. For longer trips you can add the different bags he sells; chest, waist, or add your own.

Havana
11-07-2014, 00:21
Thanks for the feedback. Between the comments here and the other thread I'm going to give zpackk a try.

Damn Yankee
11-07-2014, 00:46
I use a Jam 50 and can fit up to five days of gear and food with a pack weight of 25-30 lbs. You can also put a CCF pad where the hydration bladder would go to help structurely.

Old Hiker
11-07-2014, 10:34
http://www.zpacks.com/bargains.shtml

On sale now - most of the sale items are gone as of 0930 - 07 Nov 2014.

russb
11-07-2014, 10:43
I have friends who love their ULA packs. I love my GG Mariposa. Prolly cant go wrong with either ULA or GG.

garlic08
11-07-2014, 13:25
ULA gets consistently high points and you can't go wrong with them, but I've always used Gossamer Gear. They often have sales, too. I've never paid more than $80 for a pack there. I used the G-5 until it was discontinued, now I use the G-4.

Dogwood
11-07-2014, 18:56
Welcome into the light of hiking lighter and smarter.

Gear wt doesn't exist in and of itself. Don't exclude all other factors in gear/backpack purchases and comparisons. If you do it can easily lead to yet unforseen issues especially since you're considering backpacks. You might strongly consider comparing backpacks first based on them having the same or very similar volumes. The ULA Circuit is by default 68 L(4200 cubes). The Zpacks ArcBlast in the largest volume it is offered is 60L(3650 cubes). These backpacks in their basic form are a different volume by 8 L a difference which might not seem like much to you now but some seeking to hike lighter would also call it a sin to have an overly voluminous bacpack for your typical hikes. Additionally, having an overly voluminous backpack might tempt one to fill it up. Based on what you've shared about the charactistics of your customary hikes I'm going to offer that a 68 L backpack is likely overly voluminous even more so if you continue down the wt saving and hopefully volume saving road. A fairer backpack wt comparison would be to compare the 63L ULA ohm and the 60L Zpacks Arc Blast for example. You might expand your possible backpack purchase options too. ULA and ZPacks aren't the only UL/light wt backpacks available.

Paring down your load should also include considering the volume of your gear. It directly imapcts the volume and hopefully wt of the backpack you will need.

Another consideration you may have is if this is/becomes your only backpack than you might consider backpacks that have a feature that lets you expand and contract the volume of the backpack. This feature, again, might pove itself useful based on you likely continuing down the UL highway.

Havana
11-07-2014, 22:07
Dog, thanks for the words of wisdom. So much to consider.

I have been sorely bitten. I've carved 6.5 pounds from my base, I have a window into another pound and I'm sure if I start counting in metric there's grams to be found (though metric may be a bridge too far).

garlic08
11-08-2014, 09:55
...Paring down your load should also include considering the volume of your gear. It directly imapcts the volume and hopefully wt of the backpack you will need....

These are indeed wise words. Years ago I was flirting with the sub-ten-pound base weight, not quite making it for several seasons. Then I met my first stoveless backpacker and thought I'd give it a try. When I committed to the stoveless style after another couple of years of trying it out, I bought one of the extra-light packs, under a pound, and that finally got me under the ten pound threshold. I've been there ever since. Part of my point is that it did not happen in one season or with one decision--it was a gradual change in hiking style, molded by various people I met on the trails who gained my respect.

Good luck in your journey.

Havana
11-08-2014, 13:54
The main body of my current pack is 500 CI more than the zpack. Of course, my current pack doesn't have the outside storage that the Z has either. And, the new sleeping bag is much smaller than my current one. So, I will require some further tuning of my load and pack regimen (e.g. My tents rain fly can easily ride on the outside of the pack vs inside, as can anything stuffable in a dry bag). That said, as garlic says, it's a journey. Stoveless is not something I'm ready to do. I can give up everything but the coffee.

Connie
11-10-2014, 15:49
I haven't updated my website links, working my way thru from page 1. It is hard work!

My Products link is under the panoramic photo at the top of each webpage. It also appears on the Site Map.

There is so much great lightweight gear, now, including packs.

If the links are broken, at least get the brand names to "Google".

My website link is my signature.

I usually don't go out for more than 4 nights.

For me, a 40-liter pack is sufficient.

The largest backpack I have has been 55-liters. I just purchased a roll-top backpack, at a maximum 55-liters, that can have the volume reduced by the roll-down top. It also has provision for reducing pack volume from the sides.

Many backpacks have provision for providing compression from the sides, to keep a smaller volume load close to your back.

I think these are good features in a backpack, also a large mesh pocket on the outside back for a wet tarp, tent, or, raingear to be inside, and, not fall out.

I have had "cold camp", but there is no reason to go stoveless when there is the modified StarLyte with lid.

Dogwood
11-10-2014, 18:19
Yes, going lighter can be likened to evolution a journey. Going lighter isn't just about gear either. It's also about developing a skill set that evolves to match your lighter wt gear. You just can't buy yourself into the lightest wt kit or lightest wt hike. Light wt proficiency is more than gear! It snowballs where many aspects are interconnected/integrated.

One of the skills you should consider mastering is consumable logistics. For example, dialing in your food requirements for your typical 2-3 day fair weather trips can save wt sometimes substantially so. Think about it. If you normally carry 2.5 lbs of food per day on those 3 day trips and then, after listening to your body and mind, and observing what they typically require, can reduce that food wt to 1.5 lbs of food per day you have just knocked off 3 lbs from what you once customarily carried. AND, best of all, it didn't cost you any money. It saved you money in not buying so much trail food! AND, it very likely saves you volume in your food bag. This snowballs into requiring a lesser volume, and hopefully, lesser wt backpack. And, so on. And, so on.

But what do some do? They will be quick to run out spending huge sums of money to save a few ounces, sometimes a few grams!, on the most UL most hullabalooed backpacks, shelters, rain gear, stuff sacks, etc. Going lighter is more likened to a journey not a destination with many integrated aspects enjoyed just like a hike in incremental stages/steps.

Even for someone on 2-3 trips it can easily be that the single heaviest item you carry is water. Water is 8.3 lbs/gallon. You want to carry the water you require, IF YOU NEED TO CARRY WATER AT ALL, but not over carry water wt. I notice some, even in the UL community, who will nit pick the various gram wt differences of water carrying receptacles, yet I notice them carrying far more water than necessary! This can be likened to penny wise dollar foolish.

I make light of these ignorant things that some wt conscience hikers make but I too have made some of the same oversights. I pass on what I've learned to you so you can possibly do it better than me. :eek:

TwistingInTheWind
11-17-2014, 17:22
Hey, I just replied about my personal Holy Grail of packs but figured since we seem to have similar goals of lightening our loads for physical reasons that I'd plug my choice here too: the Vargo Ti-arc packs will keep the weight off of your shoulders and give a nice air gap between your back and the pack so you don't get the back sweats.

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/ti-arc-cf-backpack.html#.VGpZl8lIHat

Whatever keeps us trucking as our bodies change!

Going lighter is more likened to a journey not a destination with many integrated aspects enjoyed just like a hike in incremental stages/steps. thanks Dogwood

1azarus
11-17-2014, 17:48
Well, if i go lighter, i better not forget my eyeglasses. i read your thread title as "good lighter" and was looking forward to a discussion of cigarette lighter quality. oh my. and on the topic? sure, go lighter.