PDA

View Full Version : White Mountains Shelter

TomN
11-06-2014, 19:40
What would you take for a 1 - 2 week trip in the White Mountains, hammock with quilts or a ground tarp with bug net that is 3 - 4 lbs less than the hammock setup?

TomN
11-06-2014, 21:12
Here are the rough numbers:
Warbonnet Tarp - 13 oz
HG underquilt - 26 oz
HG quilt - 21 oz
WBBB hammock - 22.5 oz
Stakes & lines -2.5
Xlit pad (for shelters and huts, could live without) - 12 oz
85oz without pad, 97 with pad

Option 2
HG quilt as sleeping bag 21oz
MLD Bug Bivy - 6 oz
Zpacks 7 x 9 tarp - 6 oz
Xlite pad - 12 oz
Stakes & line - 2.5 oz
Ground sheet 3 oz
Total - 50.5 oz

So 2 to 3 lbs saved but I would have to buy the bug bivy and Zpacks tarp

Starchild
11-06-2014, 22:35
What are you doing? If you are setting up base camp and peak bagging day trips from there or enjoying the backcountry in at a single cmpsite then bring your camp comforts. If you want to do as many miles on the AT as possible bring the light gear but consider that a good night sleep also matters. Something inbetween decide sleep quality vs weight vs upgrading your gear

TomN
11-07-2014, 08:39
Hiking the AT around 10 miles per day. Just wondering if tarp sites are so hard to find in the Whites its worth the extra weight to bring the hammock.

Slo-go'en
11-07-2014, 11:51
Yes, it is worth the extra weight. While a hammock isn't a cure all for the difficulty of camping in the Whites, it will help. If all the tent platforms are full at a site, there is the possibility you can still use a hammock there. I can't find any rules which says you can't. The only problem is there is so much traffic at the sites they try to make you stay on the paths and not wander into the woods around the site. You'll find a lot of "do not enter, forest regeneration area" signs posted.

Keep in mind you will be hiking above or near tree line for much of this trip where camping of any kind is not permitted. Some of the higher elevation camp sites may not have trees suitable for hanging as they are too close to tree line. Also keep in mind if your not camping within a designated camping area, you must be at least 1/4 mile away from it and 200 feet off the trail. Getting 200 feet off the trail is easier said then done, as just getting 10 feet off the trail is a challenge along most of this route.

lemon b
11-11-2014, 19:05
Not a hammock hanger. However, rule number one still applies. DO Not Under estimate The Whites!

Nimbus
01-22-2015, 17:27
Planning to hike through VT, NH, and ME starting in June. I would love use the Hut system, but not sure of dates or what kind of mileage I will be doing…how do you make reservations with this kind of uncertianty?

rickb
01-22-2015, 19:37
There is no blanket rule that requires on to camp 200' away from the AT in the Whites.

Not sure why so many wish to perpetuate that myth.

Perhpas because they feel a need to "simplify" things for the ignorant.

peakbagger
01-22-2015, 20:03
Hammocks are a lot more viable in the dense spruce fit zone near treeline. If there is a flat spot in spruce fir it is usually a drainage area. There usually will be a some trees that you can hang from but you can get scarred up getting there.

HighLiner
01-22-2015, 21:05
I used a hammock in Whites; it gave me lots of options. Never worked so hard in my life to go 10 miles.

SteelCut
01-23-2015, 07:47
I used a hammock in Whites; it gave me lots of options. Never worked so hard in my life to go 10 miles.

I'm planning on using a hammock on my 2015 thru hike. In the Whites, could you use your hammock at the sites with tent platforms or did you stealth camp ? I'm still trying to wrap my head around the camping (non hut) options there.

Traveler
01-23-2015, 09:06
There is no blanket rule that requires on to camp 200' away from the AT in the Whites.

Before one bandies about the accusation of ignorance (misspelling perhpas aside :rolleyes:), it depends where folks are on the AT in NH for the 200' rule to be more than "myth". There are a few miles in NH that are outside the White Mtn National Forest may not require the 200' rule. However, once inside the WMNF a look at the regulations as published by the US Forest Service for the White Mountain National Forest and Wilderness Areas makes this and other rules pretty clear.

TRAVEL AND CAMP ON DURABLE SURFACES Stay on the trail while hiking. Camp at sites that have already been heavily impacted (but be sure it’s a legal site), or 200 feet from trails and water sources. Avoid moderately impacted sites where your visit could create more damage.

No Camping, Wood or Charcoal Fires within 200 feet of:
The following bodies of water:
• Black Pond
• Black Mountain Pond
• East Branch of the Pemigewasset River from the Wilderness boundary to its crossing with Thoreau Falls Trail, including islands
• The stream along the Smart’s Brook Trail from Rte. 49, 1.5 miles to the log landing
The following trails:
• Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail
• Appalachian Trail corridor from the summit of Mt. Moosilauke to the Connecticut River (except at shelters)
• Intersection of Cedar Brook and Hancock Notch Trails to the junction with Hancock Loop Trail
• Champney Falls Trail from the trailhead to Champney Falls
• Falling Waters Trail
• Franconia Falls Trail
• Liberty Springs Trail
• Lower Falls Trail
• Old Bridle Path
• Valley Way from its intersection with the Scar Trail to Madison Hut
• Wild River Trail from Wild River Campground to 1 mile south

The following restrictions apply to each of the six Wildernesses on the White Mountain National Forest:
Caribou-Speckled Mtn. Great Gulf Presidential/Dry River Sandwich Range Pemigewasset
Wild River
• No motorized equipment or mechanical transport
• No storing of equipment, personal property, or supplies, including geocaching and letter boxing
• Hiking group size may not exceed 10 people, and no more than 10 people may occupy any designated or non-designated campsite
Additional regulations for the Presidential/ Dry River and Pemigewasset Wilderness:
• No camping, wood or charcoal fires within 200 feet of any trail except at designated campsites
Additional regulations for the Great Gulf Wilderness:
• No wood or charcoal fires at any location
• No camping within 1/4 mile of the Great Gulf Trail between its junctions with the Sphinx and Gulfside Trails.
• No camping within 200 feet of any trail except at designated sites

Gray Bear
02-13-2015, 10:46
What would you take for a 1 - 2 week trip in the White Mountains, hammock with quilts or a ground tarp with bug net that is 3 - 4 lbs less than the hammock setup?

No hammock experience here but I'm a local. The lighter the better I say. I'm a ground dweller and I've managed to get by with my tent with a little planing. Depending on the time of year and weather tarps are very doable. The White are known for the elevation gains over a relatively short distance but the rewards are worth it! Go light and enjoy!

Peaks
03-21-2015, 16:59

Rick, hikers need to read the White Mountain National Forest backcountry camping rules. The 200 foot rule applies from the Connecticut River to Moosilauke, and certain trails like the Liberty Springs Trail that the AT does follow.

rickb
03-21-2015, 18:38
Rick, hikers need to read the White Mountain National Forest backcountry camping rules. The 200 foot rule applies from the Connecticut River to Moosilauke, and certain trails like the Liberty Springs Trail that the AT does follow.

Agreed that hikers should follow the WMNF camping rules. As I am sure you are aware, the brochure (which looks to have been copied in part above) includes both the regulations, as well as as section of general LNT recommendations.

That has lead to some confusion about the universality of the 200' rule.

As to the section from the CT river to Moosilauke, it is my understanding that the 200' rules does NOT apply there. In that section the restrictions are greater-- you MUST camp only in designated areas, no? I could be wrong about that. Perhaps I am thinking of "shelter area only" restictions on the NH AT north of Gorham (RT 2).

There are plenty of places along the AT in the heart of the Whites where one should NOT assume a trail side tent is violating any rules -- other than perhaps those of common sense and sound LNT practices. There are also a few places where such sites are simply a fine place to pitch a tent.

rickb
03-21-2015, 18:47
TRAVEL AND CAMP ON DURABLE SURFACES Stay on the trail while hiking. Camp at sites that have already been heavily impacted (but be sure it’s a legal site), or 200 feet from trails and water sources. Avoid moderately impacted sites where your visit could create more damage.

This part of what AT Traveler copied and pasted comes from the WMNF Backcountry Camping Regulations, Brochure and is the source of much confusion.

This section of the Brochure speaks to Recommended LNT practices, and Is absolutely not part of the actual regulations that follow in the rest of his post.

Unfortuantely, ignorance over this distinction is wide spread, and even crops up in AT guide books that prefer to give hikers a simplified version. The ATC would do well to add qualifiers like "recommended" or "generally" to thier chart.

Slo-go'en
03-21-2015, 21:23
This part of what AT Traveler copied and pasted comes from the WMNF Backcountry Camping Regulations, Brochure and is the source of much confusion.

To eliminate any confusion, camp ONLY at designated sites through NH.

rickb
03-22-2015, 07:54
To eliminate any confusion, camp ONLY at designated sites through NH.

If you said "best to plan on camping only at designated sites along the AT in NH" I would tend to agree.

But consider a few of these scenarios:

1. You come off Moosulauke and are immediately offered a ride into North Woodstock. You know that if you accept and go for a beer and burger at the Bre pub, there is NO WAY you will make it to the next NOBO shelter-- and back tracking is not in your DNA. What do do? One good answer would be to return to the trail late afternoon and dry camp along the wooded ridge NOBO before the turn off to Gordon Pond. Very nice and very legal.

2. You are hiking SOBO with your family and reach Ethan Pond on a weekend only to discover that the 5 official tenting sites are full. It's such a beautiful pond but but the caretaker is not willing to put you in the overflow area but says you can camp along the stream on the way to Zealand Hut What to do? One good answer is to regroup and enjoy a break at the pond, then take his advise-- all perfectly Legal and not all bad. No need to camp 200' away from the stream or trail so long as you are on the side of the trail that is not in the Wilderness area.

3. You just walked from the Perch SOBO to Nauman Tentsite. Fricking long day and really not a surprise that there wasn't a tent platform available. You push on, but quickly realize there is no way you are going to make it very far before darkness falls and there is no way you can walk 200' into the woods even if you wanted to. What to do? One good answer is you hang your hammock a few feet from the AT and make dinner with the clean water you just cammeled up on at the Hut.

4. You are hiking SOBO and conclude that your day is likely to end in one of the busiest areas on the AT-- Pinkam Notch. This sucks because you had planned on pushing to Osgood Tentsite but just don't have the energy. Since this is AMC central, you not only want to do the right thing and camp legally, but you figure you would be busted if you don't. Plus, you don't need the stress of wondering if your site is OK or not. What to do? Ask the eager AMC employee at the desk of the visitor center? Absolutely not! They will unlikely know anything more than the abbreviated version of the rules, and take the previous poster's approach. Just hike down the "Old Jackson Road" section of the Trail until you are a 1/4 mile away, spend 5 minutes figuring out the full regs printed out for just such a moment along with your maps (it is a regulation mine field there) and then find a site that is on the legal (trail west) side of the trail for camping.

Or, just camp at the shelters.

But if you do pass other hikers doing anything like the above, don't make any assumptions about the "legality" of thier choices. They just might know something you don't.

peakbagger
03-22-2015, 08:18
Planning to hike through VT, NH, and ME starting in June. I would love use the Hut system, but not sure of dates or what kind of mileage I will be doing…how do you make reservations with this kind of uncertianty?

You don't, you may get lucky with a cancelation but the huts tend to be booked fairly steady from july through September. At $100 plus a night most hikers skip the huts.