PDA

View Full Version : Camera lens for PCT thru hike

Mayanway
11-06-2014, 22:26
I'm planning a 2015 PCT thru hike and am debating camera options. I shoot with an OMD E-M1 and will most likely take it with me, with one lens. I also have the 12-40 f2.8 lens and love the combination, but together they weigh about 30 oz. The camera will definitely be my luxury weight item, but I'm open to a bit of optimization. I'm debating between bringing the 12-40 or purchasing a lighter lens instead - probably either the Olympus 9-18mm or a used plastic kit lens (12-50 or 12-32). The wide angle lens would be nice to have for landscapes but I imagine it would be somewhat limiting for most other shots. Any experienced thru hikers have opinions based on the conditions/focal lengths you used? Your choice for one lens to bring along? Any input is much appreciated. I know that whatever choice I make will still be a huge weight savings over my pre-mirrorless backpacking trips hauling around a DSLR and 1-2 heavy zooms...

Mayanway
11-06-2014, 22:31
Also, how did you handle camera charging? Put the charger in a bounce box or bring it along?

Malto
11-06-2014, 22:43
Never had a problem with my iphone. :)

colorado_rob
11-06-2014, 22:47
I'd go with the 12-50 kit, there is really no reason to carry an f2.8 zoom on these type of hikes. I have all sorts of Canon gear, but when it comes to long hikes/backpacks, I carry my 7 ounce 18-55mm zoom on an SL1 body, total weight including zing neoprene case is right around 2 pounds. I also carry three batteries, each one of which lasts a few weeks with careful use.

Shutterbug
11-08-2014, 10:44
I'm planning a 2015 PCT thru hike and am debating camera options. I shoot with an OMD E-M1 and will most likely take it with me, with one lens. I also have the 12-40 f2.8 lens and love the combination, but together they weigh about 30 oz. The camera will definitely be my luxury weight item, but I'm open to a bit of optimization. I'm debating between bringing the 12-40 or purchasing a lighter lens instead - probably either the Olympus 9-18mm or a used plastic kit lens (12-50 or 12-32). The wide angle lens would be nice to have for landscapes but I imagine it would be somewhat limiting for most other shots. Any experienced thru hikers have opinions based on the conditions/focal lengths you used? Your choice for one lens to bring along? Any input is much appreciated. I know that whatever choice I make will still be a huge weight savings over my pre-mirrorless backpacking trips hauling around a DSLR and 1-2 heavy zooms...

I use only one lens - Nikon 18-200 VR.

I have rigged my camera bag so the weight hangs off the straps of my backpack, not around my neck.

Neemor
11-08-2014, 11:21
I use a nikkon D7100 and for the lens i use a Nikkor 35mm 1.8

I havent done a thru-hike yet, but i have done many backpacking trips with it this year. I carry it in a vanguard uprise II bag. And rig it between my shoulder straps for easy access and to help balance my load.

I wish i had a mirror-less camera to save more weight. But $$ isnt happening right now.

I find that if i only have one focal length (35mm) I think more about the shots and have more variety. #ZoomWithYourFeet

But i also carry a gopro and iphone.

jawnzee
11-08-2014, 16:10
I enjoy prime lenses as well. Usually relates to sharper image for the $$$ and is easier for me to know how the shot will be framed before I even take my camera out. When I did the PCT I used a micro 4/3 with a 20mm lens.

marktrumpet
11-14-2014, 12:04
I enjoy prime lenses as well. Usually relates to sharper image for the $$$ and is easier for me to know how the shot will be framed before I even take my camera out. When I did the PCT I used a micro 4/3 with a 20mm lens.

Jawnzee, how did your setup work out for you? Which camera did you have? I have an Olympus E-PM2, am considering a 20mm prime, and am trying to figure out a good way to carry it up front (small case to hang off of shoulder straps). How did you carry yours?

To the OP, I also have the 12-40 f/2.8 lens, and it is fantastic. The EM1 with it is a fantastic setup and you probably won't miss much. The overall setup seems like it would get heavy, though. I've thought of going with a 20mm prime or the Panasonic 12-32. I would downsize your body if you're going to downsize your lens. E-PM2 is great (same image quality as EM1) and can be had for relatively cheap now on the Olympus outlet site.