View Full Version : Titanium Goat Ptarmigan Bivy Review

Darwin13
11-07-2014, 01:01
Check it out here!

http://thetraillives.com/2014/11/07/gear-review-titanium-goat-ptarmigan-bivy/

10-K
11-07-2014, 07:49
Thanks!

I've been using the TiGoat Krestal bivy with my tarp since I got back from the PCT. Quite a nice combination.

CalebJ
11-07-2014, 10:40
10-K, what tarp are you using in combination with the bivy? I just picked up a Ptarmigan the other day and that will be my next purchase. Hoping to avoid CF for cost reasons.

10-K
11-07-2014, 11:18
This one: http://shop.bivysack.com/CatBirdTarp-TM-2-1CatBirdTarp2.htm

It's a 2 person tarp.. (Translated, "2 person" means "just right for 1 person")... :)

I'm also not buying cuben fiber shelters and packs on purpose.

Studlintsean
11-07-2014, 13:36
This one: http://shop.bivysack.com/CatBirdTarp-TM-2-1CatBirdTarp2.htm

It's a 2 person tarp.. (Translated, "2 person" means "just right for 1 person")... :)

I'm also not buying cuben fiber shelters and packs on purpose.

10K- Have you used the tarp in constant rain yet? I planned on taking a 5.5 X 9 tarp on a recent trip but decided against it due to 4 days of rain in the forecast. I'm thinking I would do fine with some off and on rain but not sure I want to "live" under it for long hours when it is constantly raining. I do realize you tarp tapers a bit but I was curious how you it did .

Dogwood
11-07-2014, 19:48
I don't see why you're giving a CON to the Ti Goat Ptarmagin bivy in that it isn't waterproof. Ti Goat never stated the Ptarmagian bivy is WP. The specs and advertising clearly say Impetus 1.1 is the top fabric which isn't WP. It is what it is - a water resistant bivy. It's advertised as such.

For a water resistant bivy one of the primary aspects is how that top water resistant fabric behaves. I'd want to know EXACTLY what it is. I'd want t know under what trail conditions you observe "it's not very breathable." I would like to see your review mention specs concerning the breathabilty of 1.1 Impetus, the top fabric Ti Goat is using in this bivy, compared to what some other UL bivy makers are using rather than offering a general CON "it's not very breathable." Compare the breathablity specs of Impetus 1.1 to Impetus 1.0, Impetus 1.2, Endurance, M50, M90, EPIC, various Pertex fabrics, etc Because when you don't it leaves me wondering under what conditions you claim that "it's not very breathable" is being made.

Sounds harsh but I'm attempting to offer wht might make an even better review. Smiley.

JamesHenryTrotter
09-08-2016, 05:59
I have one for sale with the bug net hood, barely used. I also have the regular bug bivy. looking for $60 each if anyone is interested.

Shutterbug
09-08-2016, 11:30
I don't understand. If a bivy isn't waterproof, what use is it? Just bug protection?

Malto
09-08-2016, 11:34
I have one for sale with the bug net hood, barely used. I also have the regular bug bivy. looking for $60 each if anyone is interested.

I will take the bivy with the full bug net. PM sent.

Malto
09-08-2016, 11:40
I don't understand. If a bivy isn't waterproof, what use is it? Just bug protection?

Many different reasons.
1) wind protection with quilt.
2) eliminates ground cloth.
3) keeps quilt cleaner.
4) bugs
5) adds a few degrees of warmth in winter especially with quilt.
6) protects against splash with a tarp.

it is ideal with a quilt, not as useful with a sleeping bag.

Dogwood
09-08-2016, 12:12
That boy is wicked smart.

Think of a non WP bivy as a liner that goes on the outside of the sleeping bag/quilt that can protect from elements originating from outside the sleep system. It's like having a sleeping bag/quilt with full time integrated speciality protective shell fabric that is now broken into components offering versatility.

Franco
09-08-2016, 22:25
I'm with Malto.
The Ptarmigan isn't designed as a stand alone alpine type bivy.
it is meant to be used with those minimalist tarps that of course don't have bug protection but also adding wind and insect protection.
I have one but I prefer more bug proof space around me .