PDA

View Full Version : New ULA Packs!

Whistler
10-20-2005, 10:36
The beloved and proven P-1, P-2, and Fusion packs are being phased out. Not a lot of details on the new models, but they'll be ready in December:

www.ula-equipment.com (http://www.ula-equipment.com)

-Mark

Footslogger
10-20-2005, 10:39
I've got a Fusion I'd sell if anyone is interested. Used it 4, maybe 5 times. Excellent condition.

'Slogger

tlbj6142
10-20-2005, 11:04
This a great move on Brian's part. The old line-up was a bit dated. And it was difficult for someone to find out about the packs as there had been several major changes to the packs, yet the names stayed the same.

All 4 new packs "look" great. And the reduced volume was much needed.

chris
10-20-2005, 14:08
I tested a prototype this summer and fall with excellent results. Definitely the best ultralight pack I've ever used. Combined with a new hipbelt design, I think Brian has, more or less, created the perfect pack. When he gets back from the Hayduke, I'll post a review.

Whistler
10-20-2005, 14:23
Chris, which model or equivalent did you test? I'm kind of salivating over both the Relay and the Conduit pack.
-Mark

MarcnNJ
10-20-2005, 14:53
mmmmmmmmm.............Conduit.........looks yummy.......:banana

Anyone want to buy a brand spankin new P-2? :datz

tlbj6142
10-20-2005, 14:53
Its hard to tell if there is a front pouch on the first 3 models. The "black patch" does look like it has something running down the center. Maybe a velcro closure of a kangaroo pouch (a la Arc'Teryx packs)?

chris
10-20-2005, 14:59
It looks like I tested something half way between the Catalyst and the Circuit. It weighed in (with old style hipbelt and hipbelt pockets) at 2.25 pounds, or 36 oz. It has the dual stay frame sheet. I like it so much that I'm going to get Brian to fix some damage on it (I thrashed this thing at times). It had a front pouch, roll top closure on top. Etc. Etc.

sierraDoug
10-21-2005, 01:54
This is so cool. I'm closing in on having replaced all of my twenty year old gear for new light stuff and was leaving the pack selection for last. And the top pack company I've been interested in just came out with more choices and improved designs. Groovy. :D

tlbj6142
10-21-2005, 09:32
Chris, what is "different" about the new hipbelt?

Streamweaver
10-21-2005, 11:13
Nice looking packs!! Its nice to see sizes for tall folks too!!! :banana :banana :banana

ARambler
10-21-2005, 12:57
It looks like I tested something half way between the Catalyst and the Circuit. It weighed in (with old style hipbelt and hipbelt pockets) at 2.25 pounds, or 36 oz. It has the dual stay frame sheet. ...
How much weight can you comfortably carry in the dual stay pack?

chris
10-21-2005, 13:29
Chris, what is "different" about the new hipbelt?

The material is much stiffer and it uses a 4 point adjustment system rather than the normal two point one. So, each side of the hipbelt has two straps (top and bottom) coming down into a single buckle. It works exceptionally well.

chris
10-21-2005, 13:32
How much weight can you comfortably carry in the dual stay pack?

On the CDT, without the new hipbelt, I had an 8 day supply of food and the pack carried well. I'd estimate the total weight on my back when I left East Glacier was in the 35-40 lb range. With the new hipbelt and 5 days of food for my 80 mile loops this summer (new hipbelt), I had something like 30 lbs total on my back and couldn't feel the pack. With the new hipbelt, I'd estimate that one could carry 40 lbs without too much effort, and 50 lbs and still be moderately comfortable. The transfer of weight from shoulders to hips with the prototype was simply unbelievable: I felt pressure on my chest, not tops of shoulders, and the hipbelt kept things locked on my hips very nicely.

sierraDoug
10-21-2005, 20:35
That 4 point hip belt attachment sounds like the one Osprey uses. And it sounds good.

sierraDoug
10-28-2005, 01:43
Hey, I think this is new. On the pages for each new pack there are buttons to make the photo spin around. Now all I need is a button to beam one to a local store so I can try it on. :-?

tlbj6142
10-28-2005, 10:11
All 4 new packs have the buttons now. I do wish the photos were a bit larger (2x would be great) and a bit brighter. Sometimes stuff gets lost in the dark spots.

sierraDoug
11-02-2005, 02:04
Brian's doing a phased roll-out of info on his new packs. How tantalizing. :) Now he lists the standard features of each. The sizing info seems to be temporarily gone. I'm sure it'll be added back with a link, like he had with the old pack pages.

tlbj6142
11-02-2005, 12:20
He needs to give the approximate pack dimensions, sometimes you can't tell how big a pack is from a picture and its volume.

A-Train
11-02-2005, 18:29
Being abroad i have very little time to surf the net, until i return in december. What do you guys who checked out the new packs think would be most suitable for a PCT thru-hike. Im in the market for a new pack as the gregory is way too big, the breeze too flimsy and small and the Ghost not suitable for the PCT

chris
11-02-2005, 18:41
Depends on the rest of your gear. The prototype I tested seems to be a hybrid, but that is the pack I'd recommend on the PCT. Sorry, that doesn't help at all.

On the PCT, given the long waterless stretches and some long resupply legs, I'd get the one with the bigger suspension. That is, the P2 replacement. When I hiked the PCT, the Zenith (predating the Fusion) worked mostly fine except for the 10 day resupply run through the Sierra and during the 2 gallon water carries in SoCal. So, you can certainly get away with something smaller. Volume needs depend on the user and their other gear. However, on the PCT you have other factors to consider (water and food).

Clark Fork
11-02-2005, 19:58
Being abroad i have very little time to surf the net, until i return in december. What do you guys who checked out the new packs think would be most suitable for a PCT thru-hike. Im in the market for a new pack as the gregory is way too big, the breeze too flimsy and small and the Ghost not suitable for the PCT

I am in planning for just the JMT-Southbound. Need to haul the dreaded bear cannister.

The write up on the new pack says the replacement for the P-2 is compatible with a bear canister. The write ups on the other options are silent on whether or not a bear canister will fit.

Anyone know? If not, was the P-1 large enough to take a bear canister?

Does Brian have someone answering e-mails at present?

Clark Fork in Western Montana "Where seldom is heard a discouraging word."

P.S. Spent this afternoon appraising some land. I had to hike around looking for corner posts. It is my birthday and I could not think of a better way to celebrate than to hike and get paid for it at the same time.:clap

chris
11-02-2005, 20:32
Brian is back from the Hayduke now. The prototype I tested would take a bear cannister easily.

A-Train
11-02-2005, 23:51
That is exactly what I feared. As much as I´ve always liked the P2 or equivalent, i´ve always considered it too heavy, tho i guess the PCT is a different beast from eastern trails. I´ve been leaning more towards a 20-25 oz pack, but i guess 20 lbs of food on a resupply, plus gear plus water would exceed the pack weigh limit. I remember even packing the Ghost past its max on the AT, and having an unpleasant run on a couple of the stretches (specifically daleville to waynsboro).
In general my gear is pretty paired down (WM Ultralite, 3-4 ridgerest, alcohol stove, titanium pot, aquamira, six moons single man tent etc. but i guess that doesnt all matter once you consider water and resupply

tlbj6142
11-03-2005, 10:35
That is exactly what I feared. As much as I´ve always liked the P2 or equivalent, i´ve always considered it too heavy, tho i guess the PCT is a different beast from eastern trails. I´ve been leaning more towards a 20-25 oz pack, but i guess 20 lbs of food on a resupply, plus gear plus water would exceed the pack weigh limit. Here are the specs of the 3 bigger ULA packs... Catalyst: 43oz, 4600ci, Internal frame, optional dual-stay framesheet (not sure what the difference is between internal frame and dual-stay framesheet), 30-40# loads. $225 Circuit: 32oz, 3700ci, Internal supension loop. 25-35# loads, $175.............Ahhhh!!!Why can't I put inline carriage returns in my postings!!!!!!!

chris
11-03-2005, 10:43
If you want a 20-25 oz. pack, I'd go for the P1 variant. I used such a thing, with expanded volume, on the GDT and loved it. I needed extra space for extra food and gear given the location. If I didn't take the prototype on the PCT, I'd take the P1-X. With the way the top closure has been re-designed, I'd guess that the P1 equivalent would take bear canister (but only a guess).

sierraDoug
11-18-2005, 02:51
Brian continues to slowly update the website pages. The order page is started, but not accurate as of right now. Funny way to update a website, but keeps me visiting to see when he'll have it all up. :)

Lilred
11-18-2005, 17:04
Brian continues to slowly update the website pages. The order page is started, but not accurate as of right now. Funny way to update a website, but keeps me visiting to see when he'll have it all up. :)

If you send Brian an email, he'll respond to you right away. A co-worker of mine just did that and was able to order the new pack.

A-Train
11-18-2005, 18:08
I emailed Brian and got my email shot back at me. Anyone have his real email. I checked his site and it wasnt that one, thanks

chris
11-18-2005, 19:15
I emailed Brian and got my email shot back at me. Anyone have his real email. I checked his site and it wasnt that one, thanks

Try [email protected]

That is how I usually get a hold of him and sent him an email a little while ago. I don't think Brian has personal email account. Or, at least, I don't know it.

chris
11-22-2005, 15:42
I've posted a review of the Catalyst prototype that I tested this summer. You can find it in the Gear Reviews section.

Jerm
12-12-2005, 00:47
I am in planning for just the JMT-Southbound. Need to haul the dreaded bear cannister.

Anyone know? If not, was the P-1 large enough to take a bear canister?

Clark, I took the P-1 on the JMT-SOBO this summer. Perfect size, could have even gone a little smaller. I thought about taking/cutting the extension collar out. It will hold a bear can at the bottom horizontal. But due to the pack being narrower at the top, it can only go vertical there. The narrower opening makes it a little difficult to get the can in there. You have to put it in vertical then flip it on its side. Don’t forget to put something under it. I wore two small holes in the bottom of my pack from the can being at the bottom and sitting it on all the rocks out there.

I love the huge pocket on the front of the bag. I am able to put all my small things in it, as well as my windshirt and rain jacket. That way the inside of my bag holds only my sleeping bag and bivy, clothes bag, and food bag. The tarp and ground cloth go in the side pockets with a water bottle each. I wish that the new pack comparable to the P-1 had one as big. It looks a little smaller.