PDA

View Full Version : What to wear, bring, etc. November in NW, GA.

Gary62
11-07-2014, 18:35
I could use some good advise, who couldn't, for a 40 mile hike. Approach Trail to Neels Gap. Weather is supposed to be pretty cold. 25 at night and 45ish in the day.
I've got a Eureka Solitaire 3 season tent, insulated sleeping pad, 30 degree bag, 80% down puffer jacket.
I have 4 days to do this. I like to walk slow and enjoy my surroundings.
Oh yeah, Asolo gtx boots.
Am I on the right trac OR am I gonna feeeeze my arse off!

The Cleaner
11-07-2014, 18:59
If the "Polar Vortex" gets here next week, you'd need a 0* to 10* sleeping bag and clothing for winter conditions from head to toe. A real 4 season tent which will block wind might help some too. The weather can go from bad to worse very quickly when the vortex arrives....

illabelle
11-07-2014, 21:07
25* ain't all that bad at night, although it does help to have someone to cozy up with. Issue will be the daytime temps. 45* with cold blustery wind and rain? or 45* with calm wind and sunshine?
We're planning to knock out the 40 miles between Dick's Creek and Winding Stair over Thanksgiving. Forecast doesn't show that time period yet. Assuming typical late November temperatures, I'll have a 15* bag, a warm down jacket (maybe 2!), and extra layers to sleep in. I'll leave the shorts and short sleeves at home. Might bring my gaiters since I've only used them once so far.
If there's a significant snow event, we'll head to an alternate destination at lower elevation.

Trailweaver
11-08-2014, 01:08
You live in Florida and won't be used to the cold here, in all probability. It's a cold that's damp, and even in the daytime you might not be warm enough. I don't think your sleeping bag will keep you warm enough, but you can try it. I'd keep a phone number handy in case you need to call someone to pick you up early. Either the Hiker Hostel or Neel Gap. Hope it works out for you.

Last time I went in Nov., it snowed (unexpectedly), was about 25 degrees, and the wind howled all night.

soulrebel
11-08-2014, 08:07
i'd have my 10d bag with regular, multiple winter layers, or 20d bag with aforementioned plus extra fleece items/thick or two layers of long underwear/thick socks, or 30d bag with puffy polartec/down pants, puffy jacket, fleece/ longjohns with a warm beverage before bed and one ready to fire up early in the morning. It really could go either way, but you should carry winter gear-and have the ability to get warmed up when it's 37 and freezing rain outside...A nice section to hike, have fun.

Gary62
11-08-2014, 10:08
Thanks all. I was worried the bag may not work. Going to pick up a 0* to 10* before I go. Also will bring my big heavy fleece Carhart to go over the down and a big poncho to keep it all dry. I spent a few nights on the Florida Trail last winter. It got down to 28* at night. 70 in the day. Water froze at night and I sweat like a dog in the day. Looking forward to the cold.
Would a footprint staked over the tent help? I'm thinking as a wind block? The long johns were on my packing list.
White Blaze is awesome!

FatMan
11-08-2014, 11:06
When exactly will you be hiking? 25 degrees is not all that cold at night. But I do not know what forecast you are looking. Trail temps are usually at least 5 degrees colder than the best forecast. A 30 degree bag would not cut it for me. I would want something warmer. Also, plan your hike so you are camping in the lower elevations. I can assure you there is a big difference in temps and wind between Springer Shelter and Stover Creek Shelter for example. As someone mentioned above, 45 degrees with little wind and bright sunshine will feel quite warm and require little more than a short sleeve shirt and maybe even shorts. It is about 48 right now with bright sun and I am leaving for a hike right now with shorts. But 45 degrees in rain and wind will freeze your butt off. So just be ready for anything.

Here is a link to our weather underground station that is at near 3000' and a few hundred yards for the trail at Grassy Gap. Check it before you leave. Just remember that the forecast temps are on average 5 degrees to the high side.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=34.665%2C-84.032&sp=KGASUCHE4

FatMan
11-08-2014, 11:08
And let me add that if I were you I drop everything right now and start your hike. It is going to be a great week up here.

Gary62
11-08-2014, 12:07
I looked at the temps for Amicalola Falls 10 day forecast. I would leave now if I could! Good advice on the temps. Thx.
Enjoy your hike!

BirdShooter
11-09-2014, 15:03
November is actually a very nice time to hike in Georgia. I would suggest bringing some blaze orange because it is hunting season, but basically you should be fine especially if you invest in a warmer sleeping bag which it sounds like you planned to.