PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with a retainer

Neemor
11-07-2014, 21:23
Ha maybe this is an awkward question... but I am Thru-Hiking starting in march and i wear a retainer...like the kind from the dentist after you have braces.
Does anyone on here have advice for keeping it clean? (besides leave it at home)

when ever i do hikes under a week i never bring it.. but i dont want my teeth to shift after 6 months..
okay...I'm done ha

Thanks

10-K
11-07-2014, 21:37
I watch too much Law & Order... I thought you were talking about an attorney... :)

HeartFire
11-07-2014, 21:42
I have a small jewlery bag (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silk-Jewelry-Chinese-Pouch-Bag-Roll-Assorted-ONE-DOZEN-Zipper-2-1-2-x-2-/300905425444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460f5c6a24) that I put mine in, then it goes in small ditty bag with other toiletries

Neemor
11-08-2014, 09:47
Thanks for the tip!

Do you ever have any problems with it stinking? Or getting smushed?

Speakeasy TN
11-08-2014, 10:02
First I thought a faithful retainer..... like a butler or Sherpa

You'll have as many chances to clean it as you would at home. Storage should be the easy part.

rhjanes
11-08-2014, 10:49
I figure it is in a hard case? I would stuff my sleeping bag and then put the retainer case into the end, cinch it up and put in pack. or even push it into the stuff sack when you have half the bag in it, that way it is cushioned on all sides. You will want to remember to rinse it in the field using filtered or treated water.

jawnzee
11-08-2014, 16:06
What do you usually do to keep it clean?

I would think that several hours every night in your mouth would be a good way to wash the dirt off. :)

Des
11-08-2014, 16:42
I kept mine in a hard retainer case. In the morning I would rinse it off good with a little scrubbing with my toothbrush and pop it in the container.You don't want too many of your germs to stay on it, since it will usually dry during the day and could form deposits where the little buggers can multiply pretty unchecked.

I also rinsed it again at night before using it, but this was more to make me feel better (less ick factor) than maintenance for the retainer.

Dogwood
11-08-2014, 17:06
With all the crazy and often repeated questions ad nauseam here on WB I don't think your question is weird at all. I think you're responsibly considering something some hikers take for granted or are ignorant of, me included, care of our teeth while doing a multi month thru-hike. I commend you!

What factors into your cleaning choice is what kind of retainer you have. Speaking only from what I've seen other long distance hikers doing I've seen hikers carry their removable retainers in a small hard case similar to a denture case. They mostly intermittently wear their retainers and store them at other times. I've seen organic castile soap like Dr Bronners, vinegar, denture type cleaners, some toothpastes, and baking soda used all on trail soaking in a WP case or being cleaned with a small brush. I've noticed these hikers further cleaning their retainers at town stops when other cleaning materials are found. Some of these cleaning products like Dr Bronners have multiple uses. For example, I drop a small bottle of Dr Bronner's Peppermint into an occasional resupply box that I use to brush my teeth, launder my clothes, wash my body and gear, and shampoo my hair.

Why don't you discuss this with your dentists/orthodontists telling them you'll be backpacking/traveling away from home on the west coast stopping into town every week or so? You've come this far investing in your dental health don't ignore it now.

Riocielo
11-08-2014, 22:49
My daughter's orthodontist put a permanent retainer on the lingual side of her teeth. You could ask yours about that. Although she says it's a pain to floss.

Neemor
11-09-2014, 10:42
My daughter's orthodontist put a permanent retainer on the lingual side of her teeth. You could ask yours about that. Although she says it's a pain to floss.

I was thinking about doing this! But i only can if they include it in the cost i have already paid them. Cuz my budget doesnt cover that.

Thanks everyone!

lal2wx
11-09-2014, 11:20
Glad to hear I'm not the only one planning to carrying a retainer over 2,100 miles next year! If you wear it day and night, you don't have to worry about a case. For hygiene, just brush it when you brush your teeth. That's the cleaning procedure recommended by my dentist, my orthodontist, and scrubbing is a standard cleaning for dentures. Case:After having my braces removed back in middle school, I was instructed to wear my retainer at night and I still do with exceptions of short trips. The cheap case the orthodontist gave obviously didn't make it that long, so when it broke I found a small container in our kitchen made by Sistema that is just slightly larger than the retainer and has a lid that snaps on really solid. I think it being a hard case and closing well so it won't fall out is important so it doesn't get smashed in my bag and perhaps a bit of the metal bent or something. I'm sure any kitchen store or any store like Target with lunchbox containers will have something that will work, just make sure it snaps closed well. At home I leave the lid off and use it as an open tray in a drawer or medicine cabinet, but when traveling for extended periods of time I use the lid and throw it in my bag with the rest of my toiletries.Hygiene:As for the smell, to be honest the container definitely has a bit of a funky smell to it. When at home I threw it in the dishwasher every couple months, but I've been on the road for about 5 months and haven't been able to. I've been in parts of Asia and Africa where clean water is precious, just like water on the AT will be. I wash the container with a little Dr. Bronners and my hand every now and then and rinse it out. If it dries before coming in touch with the retainer you don't have to use clean water. For the actual retainer, every couple of days I brush it after brushing my teeth with the left over toothpaste on my tooth brush. And then using the purified/bottled water used to rinse out my mouth, I'm able to spit water pretty hard onto the retainer to rinses it off well. I do this because just pouring water from my bottle on it wastes water and I can add water pressure by spitting to clean toothpaste left from scrubbing off better. A light splash from my water bottle, and all is clean enough for the next couple days!I know it sounds gross, but it's worked pretty well. If you're really concerned, the cleaning tablets used by people with dentures are the most recommended way to clean a retainer well. You can throw a couple in a bounce box and sporadically soak them in the cleaning solution using a paper cup like a gas station coffee cup or a wide mouth nalgene if you're carrying one of those. Planned Thru Hike Solution:My plan for my thru hike attempt next season is to use the Sistema 200mL container I currently have and drill some holes in it. It's honestly a bit big to just have my retainer in it, so I'm thinking I'all also put in my cut in half tooth brush in there, and if you do toothpaste drops or a travel sized tooth paste you can put it in there too. The sistema container comes leak proof so it's nice it's not draining saliva in my bag, but it's not able to air out and this likely contributes to the smell. I was able to find the container I use online. Doesn't look like they still make a clear version, but that doesn't really matter.http://sistemaplastics.com/products/lunch/200ml-three-pack-colouredGood luck and hope to see you on the trail!

Neemor
11-09-2014, 17:46
Thanks for the info guys! i appreciate it!

I spoke with my orthodontist today and he said that they would only put a perminent retainer on the lower teeth because if you put one on the upper, your lower teeth will bang into it all day long and maybe bend it or something. but he said they can make me a clear visiline sort of thing to bring with me so i wont have to worry about losing my real retainer (i could leave that at home)

I like the idea of the sistema 200mL container lal2wx (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/55095-lal2wx)

I guess i will just have to pay special attention to it so it wont get nasty

rickycodie
11-09-2014, 22:31
You could pack a small dropper with bleach in it then soak it during rests to keep it from stinking.

slbirdnerd
11-10-2014, 14:20
I have a cheap, small red dry bag (Walmart maybe) I keep my personal and first aid items in. My retainers go in a small zippy bag in there. Brush them as you brush your teeth. They don't need much toothpaste, if any--what's left on your toothbrush.

Phlashlite
11-10-2014, 17:26
I just rinsed mine each morning and kept it in the container the dentist gave me. It never has recovered a clean look but helps me remember the trail each time I look at it and go uchk how dirty this looks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Superbugz
11-13-2014, 00:07
I carry a baby food plastic container. It's the perfect size, protects it and I can soak it with efferdent once in awhile. It's cheap and works well for me. Plus it's disposable and easily replaceable at almost any store

Neemor
09-11-2015, 10:01
Just so everyone knows, i lost my retainer to some evil raccoons in the Shennandoahs in Virginia..... Hate those guys.
But if was not difficult to keep clean.

ChrisJackson
09-11-2015, 10:08
Hey man! I was wondering about you! Been following and enjoying your videos...haven't seen an update lately..."Neemor's World" right? Maybe my subscription is wonky...(sorry about the retainer. #$% raccoons).

Neemor
09-11-2015, 10:11
Yeah, i havent uploaded in a bit, but i will be uploaded videos when I get home, so expect a video soon!

ChrisJackson
09-11-2015, 10:13
Just saw your other thread...congratulations!