PDA

View Full Version : PK 50 Thoughts

bayoutrail
11-08-2014, 12:35
Alright folks; opinions:
They've been out for nearly a year; the overall system seems great, but I'd like thoughts on the hub of the system itself: the PK50 pack from Kelty's Trailogic system. It's definitely not super UL but:
Has anyone used it? Do you like it/dislike it? Who what where why... All that stuff. Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

Tuckahoe
11-10-2014, 12:25
I bought the PK 50 back in February, and I love it.

I like that what Kelty designed was a "collection" with components that fit together, rather than a system dependent all components together. I think Kelty would be smart to design a lightweight 1 person tent in the 2lb range as part of the collection, because the 2 person, 4.5 pound tent is a bit much for a solo hiker.

As far as the pack itself, some of my random thoughts --

It was great at 20 pounds, and I think that 29-30 pounds is the upper limit of the pack's comfort.

Getting compression with roll top closures was a pretty good idea. I feel like I am really able to tighten tthings down.

I like the 35L main bag, and the 15L outer bag and that they clip together. In the main bag I carry my top and bottom quilt, cook kit, and food. In the tent pocket I carry my hammock and tarp. The outer bag's large pocket is my clothes bag, and the small top pocket is where I carry all the small things. At night I unclip the outer bag and stuff it with my air pillow for a very comfy sleep pillow. I use a bridge hammock, and I am able to secure the spreader bars inside the compression wings.

The outer pockets and the hip belt pockets are of a very elastic material. Holds water bottles pretty securely and the hip pockets can really be stretched for greater volume.

I made some small modifications to the pack. The rain cover, I think is a generic Kelty design and not specific to the pack, so I added a mitten hook and shock cord so that I can better secure the rain cover when put over the pack.

I sitiched a couple ribbon loops inside the compression wings and added in some s-biners to better secure my spreader bar bag. It would suck to have that bag somehow fall out without knowing it.

I added a third compression strap between the two original main compression straps.

I took these pictures of the bag back in May. I was able to also tuck my trekking poles into the compression wings and used the bag as carry-on on a train.
28871 28872

bayoutrail
11-10-2014, 23:36
I bought the PK 50 back in February, and I love it.

I like that what Kelty designed was a "collection" with components that fit together, rather than a system dependent all components together. I think Kelty would be smart to design a lightweight 1 person tent in the 2lb range as part of the collection, because the 2 person, 4.5 pound tent is a bit much for a solo hiker.

As far as the pack itself, some of my random thoughts --

It was great at 20 pounds, and I think that 29-30 pounds is the upper limit of the pack's comfort.

Getting compression with roll top closures was a pretty good idea. I feel like I am really able to tighten tthings down.

I like the 35L main bag, and the 15L outer bag and that they clip together. In the main bag I carry my top and bottom quilt, cook kit, and food. In the tent pocket I carry my hammock and tarp. The outer bag's large pocket is my clothes bag, and the small top pocket is where I carry all the small things. At night I unclip the outer bag and stuff it with my air pillow for a very comfy sleep pillow. I use a bridge hammock, and I am able to secure the spreader bars inside the compression wings.

The outer pockets and the hip belt pockets are of a very elastic material. Holds water bottles pretty securely and the hip pockets can really be stretched for greater volume.

I made some small modifications to the pack. The rain cover, I think is a generic Kelty design and not specific to the pack, so I added a mitten hook and shock cord so that I can better secure the rain cover when put over the pack.

I sitiched a couple ribbon loops inside the compression wings and added in some s-biners to better secure my spreader bar bag. It would suck to have that bag somehow fall out without knowing it.

I added a third compression strap between the two original main compression straps.

I took these pictures of the bag back in May. I was able to also tuck my trekking poles into the compression wings and used the bag as carry-on on a train.
28871 28872

Wow!!! Amazing! That's kind of what I wanted to see; real world usage!
The ONLY thing keeping me from getting one is the lack of methodology for trekking poles. I know the compression wings can handle them but I'm an avid osprey user... One such reason is the stow-on-the-go trekking pole system they implement on their packs... The last trip I went on my buddies were eyeing my trekking pole setup by the end of the trip, it's a not a necessity, but it's a great convenience. I've thought of trying to rig something up on other packs that don't have it.
But anyway, thanks for the info. This was great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk