PDA

View Full Version : Hostel Stays for Non Hikers

rickb
10-20-2005, 11:45
I am wondering what the accepted ethic is regarding staying at a Hostel when one isn't a thru hiker. Or even backpacking.

I honestly don't have a clue.

In my world, my wife and I have taken scores of trips up to the Whites during thru hiking season where we have stayed at a motel in Gorham or North Woodstock for our first night out (or for an entire weekend when its been cold). Never even consider staying at a hostel (other than the AMC's), in large measure because we don't want to take someone's spot. To a lesser extent, because we don't want to interject our weekender personas onto the thru hikers.

Are we really being consideate, or are we just missing out on some of the fun? If we did stay at one, would there be bad form if I didn't introduce myself as a former thru hiker? On the web I like to talk alot. In real life, I much prefer to listen.

Rick B

Lone Wolf
10-20-2005, 11:51
Hostels are in no way for "thru-hikers" only. That's elitist BS. Rusty's was the only place that was like that.

Ender
10-20-2005, 12:27
Hostels are in no way for "thru-hikers" only. That's elitist BS. Rusty's was the only place that was like that.

I agree. Thru-hiker's should get no special consideration unless that is the focus of the hostel.

What ever happened to Rusty? Is he still around? I liked the guy well enough, and the setup at his place was pretty sweet. The fire-heated hot tub was fantastic.

Lone Wolf
10-20-2005, 12:39
I guess he's back open. He keeps closing then re-opening. Must need $$.

The Old Fhart
10-20-2005, 12:41
I've done trail magic for over 15 years. When a hiker comes by I ask if they are hungry. I've had many say: "But I'm not a thru hiker", to which I reply: "that wasn't my question. Are you hungry?"

When I stayed at the now closed church hostel in Hot Springs in the 1980s, room went to local people in need first. Thru hikers aren't special, they're just "different".

D'Artagnan
10-20-2005, 12:54
Thanks for bringing up this subject, Rick. Since I'm not yet a "thru" I had wondered the same thing and voluntarily stayed away from hostels. I guess I just always perceived them as intended solely for the thru-hikers. Live and learn.

Is the same standard applied to Trail Days in Damascus? In other words, is it primarily for thru-hikers or is everyone accepted? I know this may seem like a dumb question for a 35 year old man who on occasion sleeps alone in the woods to ask, but I want to come up in 2006 and not feel out of place. Maybe that's just my personal hangup but I'm being honest and would appreciate an honest response. :D

Lone Wolf
10-20-2005, 12:57
The Place is open to ALL hikers, Creeper Trail bikers and long distance bicyclists. You are welcome. Thru-hikers are an extreme minority of folks using the AT.

Alligator
10-20-2005, 13:50
I aim for campsites when I am sectioning and in need of a place to sleep. I prefer to hit the trail if at all possible though, so I carefully consider whether there are shelters, potential campsites, or water close to entry. I am going to guess that a very well rated feature of a hostel is the availability of shower and laundry. I don't consider myself to need these unless I'm on the trail for a week or so. I can get by without the laundry, but after 4 days or so, I like to shower! I can do this on trail though if need be.

If it's not thru-hiker season, you are doing the owner a favor, at least if there is some profit margin. It has been relatively rare that I have used hostels though. Just twice that I can think of where I stayed overnight. Once due to injury, and I stayed at Palmerton. I had the place to myself!

orangebug
10-20-2005, 14:29
It has never occured to me that this could be an issue. I've stayed at Elmer's in Hot Springs when he had guests who drove in for the weekend. I've never been a thru hiker, only a lowly section hiker, but that doesn't seem to decrease the hospitality of the hostels I've visited. Unfortunately, by reports of other hikers, it didn't enhance the hospitality of a couple of places I've visited, either.

Jack Tarlin
10-20-2005, 14:33
Some hostels are designed specifically for A.T. long-distance hikers, but this is not generally the case. In nearly every case, a hiker hostel is that .....it's for any hiker that wishes to use it.

Friends and family members of thru-hikers are almost always welcome in hiker hostels, assuming there's room, and assuming they behave as any other guest would, i.e. behaving properly, helping with chores, etc. If one has any doubt if they're welcome at a particular place, all they need do is ask the folks running the hostel.

Some hostels (like Delaware Water Gap) have rules rergarding vehicles, (i.e. they don't want them on the property); some hostels have rules stating that their facilities are ONLY for long-distance hikers, i.e., their facilities are not for overnighters, weekenders, Boy Scouts, camp groups, etc. Just about all hostels have rules regarding your length of stay. These rules should be respected.

Hikers should remember that in many cases, hostel space is limited; there are places that will only accept the first ten or twelve people, and in these cases, it'd definitely be uncool for a friend or family member to take a spot IF THAT HOSTEL WAS DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY for long-distance hikers.

In short, the rule of thumb is that every facility has its own policies and expectations from its guests. Hikers should be aware of these rules when they arrive, and if they have any questions, they should discuss the matter with the hostel owner or manager, who, in just about every case, will bend over backwards to help out the hiker. But in most cases, unless specifically
posted to the contrary, a hiker hostel is for any hiker that wants to use it.

Almost There
10-20-2005, 14:57
If not in season, give the hostel a call. If they're open they most likely would welcome a paying guest, especially if the hostel is meant to be a source of income for the hostel owner.

Hammock Hanger
10-20-2005, 15:47
In 2003 I stayed at Elmer's with 2 thrus that I was visiting. WHen I went to check out and the guy realized I wasn't hiking at that time he doubled my rate. He said that the rate I was quoted was a "thru-hiker" discount. I told him I did not have that much on me as I didn't realize there was a difference since we all shared a room. I told him I would gladly send him a check for the other half as soon as I got back home. He said he would consider us even but to remember in the future that the rates at Elmers are discounted for "hikers" (not necessairly thru's).

So if you are not hiking it is a good idea to call ahead and check it out.

weary
10-20-2005, 15:54
If not in season, give the hostel a call. If they're open they most likely would welcome a paying guest, especially if the hostel is meant to be a source of income for the hostel owner.
In season or not, some hostels depend on filling up their spaces in order to stay open.

Two that come to mind are the Bears Den in northern Virginia and the Ironmasters Mansion in southern Pennsylvania.

When my wife's folks lived in North Carolina, my wife and I stayed at both frequently on our trips to and from Maine -- both because they were pleasant and inexpensive places to stay and about halfway to our destination, and because we knew they needed the business, especially in off seasons.

Weary

max patch
10-20-2005, 16:08
I think one needs to make a distinction between hostel that is a business -- such as Ironmasters or any of the AYH places -- and the Church that clears out space in the basement.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-20-2005, 17:22
I stay in hostels when the majority of the thru-hikers (north or south bounders) are not likely to be in the area - in other words, when I don't think they will be full of thru-hikers or long-distance hikers. During the peak periods, I stay in a town I can drive to since I have a vehicle to get there and they don't. Some of you have met us as we visited hostels and asked if anyone needed a ride into town (when the town wasn't too far away). I have also bought items in somewhat distant towns for hikers staying at hostels and taken hikers into distance towns to stay for the night / back to the trail in the motrning when they just wanted a night away from other thru-hikers. This wasn't difficult as we were normally going to resume hiking at the same spot the following morning or were at least dropping a vehicle off there.

We've always been warmly welcomed at hostels by the owners / operators. A few hikers have looked down their noses at us lowly section hikers, but I figure that is their problem and I will leave it for them to deal with.

Tim Rich
10-20-2005, 18:15
We stayed at Bears Den when we hiked through there, and there were several driving customers with us that evening. Another option as you work up the AT areas of VA, MD and PA is to use the PATC cabins. Cheap, private and interesting, and a number are drive ups or short walks. My favorite is Pocosin, about 0.4 miles out a flat road off Skyline Drive that's gated about halfway to the cabin. It's listed as a walk-in, but .2 miles on a flat road isn't much. Membership to PATC is required for most of the driveups.

http://www.patc.net/index.htm
http://www.patc.net/activities/cabins/
http://www.patc.net/activities/cabins/cab_list.html
http://www.patc.net/activities/cabins/cab_rate.html

Has anyone stayed at Highacre in HF before?

Thanks,

Tim

Peaks
10-20-2005, 19:03
Like Jack posted, it all depends on the particular hostel. Some are hikers only, and others don't seem to mind. Check the posted rules, or talk with the caretaker or manager.

rickb
10-20-2005, 19:06
How about the Barn in Gorham, Peaks?

Hammock Hanger
10-20-2005, 19:44
Like Jack posted, it all depends on the particular hostel. Some are hikers only, and others don't seem to mind. Check the posted rules, or talk with the caretaker or manager.

... I would feel rather ridiculous driving into the parking lot of the Church in Vernon, NJ and asking to sleep on their floor and us the shower...

Lone Wolf
10-20-2005, 19:49
Why? Drop $20 in the box. It's a lot more than Christ-like thru-hikers would give.

Hammock Hanger
10-20-2005, 19:53
Why? Drop $20 in the box. It's a lot more than Christ-like thru-hikers would give.
I would feel weird, like I was using them for a cheap stay... You are right no one dropped anything in the basket when I hike though.

(Well I did.)

Lone Wolf
10-20-2005, 19:55
You have class. A lot of thru-hikers don't.

max patch
10-20-2005, 20:00
... I would feel rather ridiculous driving into the parking lot of the Church in Vernon, NJ and asking to sleep on their floor and us the shower...

I agree Sue; and its because the mission of the Church isn't to provide cheap lodging to anyone who once upon a time hiked in the area.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-20-2005, 21:06
Good point, HH. I have to say the only way I would driving into a church to sleep on the floor would be if no hotels existed within 50 miles. BTW, I've really been enjoying your posts.

Blister
10-21-2005, 10:38
This summer, although I was doing a bit of backpacking and trail magic, I have stayed at hostels. My practice however is that I stay in my truck, not taking up space at the actual hostel. In addition to having a vehicle I will help out with shuttle ect..... I would not however even attempt to stay in the parking lots of church hostels - would rather stealth park at a trail crossing as not to draw attention and/or clutter their parking lots. I have made numerous friends that are hostel owners and they have not had a problem with my truck being parked on the property and many cases when I have tried to donate monies to their hostel it is refused and even in one case they tried to give me money as a thank you for helping out. I personnally will not take a hostel space especially if it is prime hiker season, but as Jack has already mentioned a hikers hostel is for all hikers not just through.

Red Hat
10-22-2005, 10:38
Some Hostels I would visit even when not hiking: Hiker's Hostel in Dahlonega GA probably off season, Miss Janet's in Erwin anytime other than March/April/May since she is overflowing with hikers then, Bear's Den anytime since they usually have room. I plan on visiting the Church Hostel in Waynesboro to see friends, but not staying there. And now that I've earned status by staying and leaving, I'd visit Rusty's again.

By the way, Rusty was open this season, but the property is on the market. When it sells, if it sells, it will be closed. Word around town was that the property has too little acreage to rebuild according to new regulations which require at least 25 acres, so it would have to stay as is... And it is pretty expensive for that...

lobster
10-22-2005, 11:52
It's sort of common sense whether you should or shouldn't take up a spot at a hostel. If it's a hiker hostel and you ain't hiking, don't take a spot from somebody else. Also, church hostels, etc. aren't there for people who can afford to pay $3 a gallon and drive around in their car, but figure they can extend their roadtrip by not paying for a hotel. Stay in your car if you want to save money.