PDA

View Full Version : Carrying extra stuff

10-K
11-09-2014, 08:23
So currently there are active threads about carrying extra lights, extra shoes, extra shirts and indirectly - extra food and extra water.

I'm just wondering - if you opened up your pack - how many redundancies would there be. Do you carry extras of more than one thing "just in case"?

I bet socks are a biggie... :)

For the record, I try not to carry anything extra but I'm not exactly a zealot. I most often have a bit too much food and too many socks.

When I pack my pack I try to load the things I need and then when I get to the point of looking at stuff thinking, "I might need this." or "I might need that." then I know I'm done and stop.

Sarcasm the elf
11-09-2014, 08:33
Funny enough I posted the following to another hiking site last night:

"Here's a confession, I like lightweight, but I've never been able to get into the UL gram-weeniness:

I don't think twice about carrying an ENTIRE roll of TP on the trail. I also don't think twice about a whole jar of peanut butter, or a bunch of bananas, or an extra fuel canister, or that extra liter of water. I also carry soap and wash my hands about twice a day and I carry my non lightweight locking blade pocketknife when I feel like it. Yet somehow my total three season pack weight always stays around 20-25lbs. Oh the horror. :D"

4shot
11-09-2014, 08:33
I am by no means an UL guy so most would say my pack is heavy. i have redundancy in my system in terms of keeping dry - I carry a pack cover and most of my stuff is in waterproof stuff or compression sacks. I also usually carry rain pants when most don't. 3 pairs of socks. and I never sleep in my hiking clothes - I carry a separate pair of cotton boxers. There are absolutely 2 things I will not let myself run out of - TP and fuel (canister). So I replenish well ahead of time. On short or section hikes where I am not pushing as hard for miles I also carry a paperback book.

Jeff
11-09-2014, 08:48
Great thread 10-K !!

Extra socks for sure...hiking in wet socks for 2-3 days in a row is just asking for trouble.

Furlough
11-09-2014, 08:48
My extra/redundant stuff is/are: socks, sleep cloths that could be worn to hike in if needed (note to self, have never needed them to hike in), food, pocket knife (have a leatherman squirt in my pocket and a swiss army knife in my first aid bag- 2nd note to self, always have had the SAK but rarely use it) and rain pants. One of these years I'll get around to weighing my pack. I am comfortable with what I carry.

kayak karl
11-09-2014, 08:49
My second day on the AT Sgt. Rock told me at Hawk Mountain Shelter I needed to "Get the Crap out of your pack". It took 500 miles for that to sink in. Everybody has their little demons and fears. Once you run out of food , water or dead batteries you realize going 4 miles no water, setting up in the dark or hiking into town hungry isn't that bad. For me it is extra cloths. Always want to take that extra set.

Lyle
11-09-2014, 08:58
Often depends on the trip. I generally carry the extra little light Photon light that folks have been discussing, but my main light is the e-Lite that ways less than 2 oz, so I am still well below 3 oz, including my back-up. Could I get by without back-up? Sure.

I also carry camp shoes (Dollar General Crock rip-offs). I find I am much more comfortable around camp with these then if I leave my hiking shoes on, plus I can set my hiking shoes out in a patch of sun with the insoles pulled out to let them air/dry while in camp.

I often carry back-up water treatment tablets if I carry a filter. I've been reduced to drinking boiled water in the past - tastes NASTY. A few extra tablets are way under an oz.

One extra pair of socks usually does it. In winter, two extra.

No extra shirts, per se, but I usually have at least one short and one long sleeve.

I did seriously consider carrying a spare camera on my JMT trip this past summer. I normally carry a compact dSLR, bought a top end compact, full-featured pocket camera with a fixed lens for this trip. Since it lacked any zoom ability, I bought and VERY seriously considered carrying an additional mid-range compact as back-up and for the occasional telephoto. In the end, I sent the second camera home, but it was tough to do. I have been on a two week trip in the past that my camera quit on the first photo - no pictures for the entire trip. I DID NOT want to risk that on the JMT. My reasoning for considering carrying two was that both of these cameras/extra batteries/chargers still weighed less than the dSLR set-up I normally carried.

That is my attitude in general: I've spent a lot of money tweaking my gear, reducing the weight substantially from what I used to carry. I like to enjoy my trips, I have no desire, whatsoever, to set any kind of records, speed-wise or weight-wise. Part of the advantage of spending this money is that I can carry a few luxuries like camp shoes, without over-burdening myself. My pack weight is always well under 30#, usually well under 25# with full food/water/fuel.

To each their own. Decide what luxuries/redundancies you like and have fun!

RCBear
11-09-2014, 09:02
An extra lightweight light source and extra small bic lighter is pretty much it for me. I don't consider 3 pairs of socks Xtra however. 1 pair only for sleeping and 2 for alternating on trail. One of these days I'll know more...so i can carry less. Cody Lundin could hike from one end of the Amazon to the other with an 10th of what we carry probably :)

Hikes in Rain
11-09-2014, 09:16
Like most of the others, extra socks. Mine always seem to get wet. :) But the big one for me is my corrective lenses. A spare pare or two (or three) of contacts and my glasses. Without them, my vision is hideous. In bright daylight, I can make out vague shapes, but not the blazes or even individual trees. As it gets darker, things get worse to the point I might as well just shut my eyes. So, yeah, huge multiple redundancy there.

10-K
11-09-2014, 09:47
Socks are a huge redundant item for lots of people I imagine. It is not uncommon for me to get to town or back home with a pair I didn't even wear.

I agree with KK that having experienced running out of food/water/batteries/etc. and finding out the world didn't end the fears associated with these things subside or go away completely.

I've still got a lot to learn but like everyone, I'm comfortable with what's in my pack.

garlic08
11-09-2014, 10:00
When I go solo, I pretty much carry the bare minimum, maybe a little less--think nine essentials. I'll take the risk. If I bring someone along for whom I feel some responsibility (a first-time hiker or a friend's child, for instance), I bring some extra safety stuff.

On winter trips I carry a few redundancies like extra socks, hat, and gloves.

OwenM
11-09-2014, 10:06
I bet socks are a biggie... :)
Socks are my only "redundancy", and not considered extras. I carry two pairs to hike in, and another to sleep in that's kept clean and dry. Same socks whether it's for 2 days or a week. The only thing that changes is the weight of the sleep socks. If it's getting much below freezing, I carry a third pair of the midweight Point 6 or Smartwool PhDs that I hike in. If it's not cold, a pair of Smartwool ultralightweight micros. Though very lightweight, my gear is not technically "ultralight", and I could easily cut a couple of pounds with a lighter pad, a cuben shelter, and less fully featured quilt, but prefer that my stuff to do what I want the way I want it done. My pack weight is insignificant at this point, anyway, partly because I do not bring any extras, and use every item I bring, except(usually) the first aid kit. Only exception is short outings in winter when I decide ahead of time that I want fire. For that, I have a 10" Corona folding saw for cutting, and a Mora Companion HD for splitting that make processing wood a breeze, and whose combined weight is ~13oz.

Violent Green
11-09-2014, 10:08
For me, it really just depends on the consequences of not having that back up item if I did actually need it. Which is admittedly almost never. Severely affecting my enjoyment of the trip is also a consequence I consider even though not life threatening. Winter hiking with precipitation? I will carry an extra pair of socks sometimes because cold wet feet sucks A LOT. The other three seasons - no extra socks. Extra food - none intentionally. Backup fire - I do carry matches. I rehydrate my meals so I need fire to eat at night. I could go without, but that would suck and I like to eat.

So, I'm not fanatical about it, just try to use forethought and careful planning. For reference, weekend pack weight with food and water is usually around 10lbs.

Ryan

WingedMonkey
11-09-2014, 10:09
I don't carry coffee, a smart phone or a SPOT.

Lightens up my pack for the important stuff.

:banana

Old Hiker
11-09-2014, 10:18
3 pair socks: 2 for hiking, one ONLY for sleeping
3 lighters: cook set, toiletries bag, first aid kit.
Extra line
Extra fuel cartridge - smaller one
3 bandanas - one for food only, one for sweat, one for washing body parts.
2 silt stoppers - one on my filter, one in the pack to exchange

I'll bet there's more.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not sure if I like threads such as these. It's making me think too much. Grams = ounces = pounds = fear.

Coffee
11-09-2014, 10:29
I accept a small weight penalty for redundancy when it comes to keeping the contents of my pack dry. I use a pack liner as well as a pack cover. In addition, I carry a dry bag for my sleeping bag which I use when I either need to compress the bag for volume reasons or I expect particularly wet weather. We're talking a few ounces of weight penalty for something that could save my life in a low probability scenario, which is fine with me. I also usually carry too many extra AAA lithiums since I don't like being without light and also to ensure that I always have batteries for my SPOT device. I will carry the extra batteries for the SPOT even though the SPOT uses very little battery power (I don't use tracking). Not getting SPOT messages would cause great concern for my family. Not being able to sent SPOT message would ruin that part of the hike for me and most likely result in exiting at the nearest opportunity to get word out on my location. I also carry excess water capacity in case one of my bottles or platypus bags break. I carry a few extra VIA packets as well. I'm non-functional without caffeine - quite literally - I get debilitating headaches without caffeine.

I generally do not carry extra food or fuel since that would be measured in pounds, not ounces, and briefly running out of food is not likely to kill me, although I would be miserable. The probability of this outcome is low enough, and the consequences benign enough, to not accept the weight penalty.

Wise Old Owl
11-09-2014, 10:55
People pack extra based on their fears - I need a little more food. etc,

saltysack
11-09-2014, 10:55
For me, it really just depends on the consequences of not having that back up item if I did actually need it. Which is admittedly almost never. Severely affecting my enjoyment of the trip is also a consequence I consider even though not life threatening. Winter hiking with precipitation? I will carry an extra pair of socks sometimes because cold wet feet sucks A LOT. The other three seasons - no extra socks. Extra food - none intentionally. Backup fire - I do carry matches. I rehydrate my meals so I need fire to eat at night. I could go without, but that would suck and I like to eat.

So, I'm not fanatical about it, just try to use forethought and careful planning. For reference, weekend pack weight with food and water is usually around 10lbs.

Ryan

Total is 10lbs? U carry helium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyle
11-09-2014, 11:14
Anyone remember the old recommendation to carry a small package of dog food as your "emergency" food? The idea was that any normal food you carried for emergencies may be eaten on a particularly "hungry" day. No one would eat a packet of dog food unless it was truly and emergency, and then you would be happy for it.

Never did it myself, but remember reading and hearing about others who did.

Sarcasm the elf
11-09-2014, 11:58
Anyone remember the old recommendation to carry a small package of dog food as your "emergency" food? The idea was that any normal food you carried for emergencies may be eaten on a particularly "hungry" day. No one would eat a packet of dog food unless it was truly and emergency, and then you would be happy for it.

What about those of us that hike with a dog?

squeezebox
11-09-2014, 12:00
The dog food thing. What happens when you start chasing deer or bears, or cars in town. You already pee on trees so that not an issue.

Slo-go'en
11-09-2014, 12:25
On at least one occasion I've found myself in a tough spot because I've lost or forgotten 1) my knife, 2) my lighter or 3) my headlamp. But thankfully not all at the same time.

So, on a long trip I'll generally pack a spare knife, lighter and flashlight - the smallest and lightest versions I have of course. Other then those items, I also carry a few spare "AAA" batteries for my MP3 player and flashlight. I usually end up with a few extra tent stakes too. If I find one at a campsite I'll take it. So long as it's a nice one.

Furlough
11-09-2014, 13:35
3 pair socks: 2 for hiking, one ONLY for sleeping
3 lighters: cook set, toiletries bag, first aid kit.
Extra line
Extra fuel cartridge - smaller one
3 bandanas - one for food only, one for sweat, one for washing body parts.
2 silt stoppers - one on my filter, one in the pack to exchange

I'll bet there's more.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not sure if I like threads such as these. It's making me think too much. Grams = ounces = pounds = fear.

Just out of curiosity, what silt stopper are using?

Nooga
11-09-2014, 13:42
I think all of these have been mentioned.

Socks
TP
Lighter
Batteries
Single LED light
Bandanas

CarlZ993
11-09-2014, 13:49
Extra and/or redundant gear (AKA you pack your fears):
- Socks (surprising)
- pack cover, pack liner, & ultra-sil nylon dry bag for clothing/sleeping bag (don't want wet stuff)
- 2 mini Bic lighters, matches, & flint striker
- Photon light (backup for headlamp; almost never use)
- Crocs (so comfy in camp)
- GPS (yes, I carried mine the entire AT; I liked recording my nightly positions)
- SPOT (more for my wife peace of mind than for me)
- TP (I carry a lot; I yogied for TP on one hike in my life; I never want to do that again) :)

All told, I think my base packweight was around 17 lbs or so.

Dogwood
11-09-2014, 14:48
One definition of redundancy is having stuff that is not or no longer needed or useful. Based on that I aim to have nothing in my pack that is not useful. What's going to be determined to be useful is going to be different for different people. I aim to not judge what others find useful based on my situation. I'm constantly evaluating the usefulness of stuff making the necessary adjustments as I see fit. I do not consider having two pr of socks or two shirts or 6 AAA batteries redundant unless I am not employing them, hopefully routinely, in some way. In that sense, I'm careful not to fall into the trap of defining gear and its usefulness by someone else's paradigms, for example, rain pants or rain jacket. They can and are used by me not "just in case" it rains! I also don't consider something extra or redundant based on its immediate use.

BillyGr
11-09-2014, 16:09

In that case bring two extra packages, one for each of you ;)
Or I suppose you could bring a dog food and a human meal and you eat the dog food and the dog eats the human meal. Of course the dog would probably prefer that :)

Violent Green
11-09-2014, 18:11
Total is 10lbs? U carry helium

Ha..Nahh. A product of mild weather and a healthy dose of cuben fiber. With a splash of 900fp. I say around 10 lbs because I haven't weighed my pack in a while. Could be plus or minus a little by now.

Ryan

saltysack
11-09-2014, 18:14
Damn u must not eat or drink!! Total weight 10lb!!!

Connie
11-09-2014, 18:41
I carry Extra Food and Extra Clothing I never use. I will only use those items, if it is an emergency.

I do not eat up the Emergency Food near the end of the hike, or, after the hike. That food is "shelf stable" I like: miso soup, Pad Thai, powdered wheat and barley grass, Gomasio, dried mincemeat, like that.

I only consume that food near the expiration date.

In the same manner, my Extra Clothing is brand new. I do not wear it.

This includes short socks, lined neoprene socks, silk-weight merino, rebreather-type balaclava.

I have a rebreather-type face mask I break-out to wear to avoid getting too cold, but the balaclava is for those times when I recognize I could really be in trouble. Then, I am alert to getting out safe.

Of course, the mountains here are less accessible, not easy to get back out, and, the trails are for the most part not groomed. Nevertheless, all things considered, and, better circumstances, I was trained to do this. I adhere to my training, because I know "it works". That, and I have rescued others not so well-prepared.

10-K
11-09-2014, 18:46
I'm leaving in the morning to hike to Hot Springs, turn around, and come back (to Erwin). 120ish miles.

I'm guessing my pack will weigh between 12-14 lbs, with food and water. The biggest reason is because I am familiar enough with this piece of trail to hike it blindfolded, in the dark, walking backwards in the rain.

OTOH, I'm not burning with enthusiasm - I want to hike something new very bad - but the stars just aren't lined up for it.

Dogwood
11-09-2014, 19:49
I'm leaving in the morning to hike to Hot Springs, turn around, and come back (to Erwin). 120ish miles.

I'm guessing my pack will weigh between 12-14 lbs, with food and water. The biggest reason is because I am familiar enough with this piece of trail to hike it blindfolded, in the dark, walking backwards in the rain.

OTOH, I'm not burning with enthusiasm - I want to hike something new very bad - but the stars just aren't lined up for it.

So can we assume you're not going to be carrying a headlamp?

10-K
11-09-2014, 20:05
So can we assume you're not going to be carrying a headlamp?

No, I'll take one just in case. :)

DLP
11-09-2014, 21:00
I don't really bring "extra" anything when I hike alone. Maybe socks... but if I wear all my socks... are those still considered extra?

Last trip, I'm proud to say that I ended the trip with my extra food consisting of a single serving packet of mayo. Bragging, just a little, I know.

When alone, I normally, I just bring a baggie with some baking soda and a breath mint for each day. However, last time I hiked with my family, we each packed and carried a full tube of toothpaste for an overnighter. My husband and I each had a sample size. My son brought a large family sized tube of toothpaste and an electric toothbrush. If people pack their fears... my family seems to fear tooth decay. :D

saltysack
11-09-2014, 21:05

Damn sounds like I need a pack Shake down from 10-k!! I can't seem to get my pack under 25lbs w food and 1lt water for a 2.5 day 2 night hike...40 mile....I have fairly lite gear!

Big 3
Ula circuit aprox 2.5lbs
Marmot helium 15 down bag 2.3lbs
Lhg solong6. 2.1 lbs w stakes

I have a hard time with food...damn cliff bars are heavy[emoji90]

greentick
11-09-2014, 21:07
Redundancies:
photon light
extra lighter, and one of those magnesium deals
water purification tabs, ~15 (occasionally these get gradually used if I don't feel like hanging the gravity filter)
Plenty of TP, ran out once, just about a mission stopper
My first aid kit is rather extensive, sadly as "lightweight" as my medical training is my kit comes in at about 6oz. The only regularly used item is moleskin.
2 hats. I like a lighter smartwool beanie for hiking and something warmer to wear in camp. In warmer weather I usually just have a boonie.

As a 3-7 day section hiker I have the advantage of last minute tweaks based on the weather.

Typically, I am under 25lbs with 3 days of food and 2-3L of water for a southern late fall/winter hike.

4shot
11-09-2014, 21:11

I find that I can hike the same piece of trail over and over again. being out is what matters the most.

Feral Bill
11-09-2014, 21:24
Food with paws

saltysack
11-09-2014, 21:26
I find that I can hike the same piece of trail over and over again. being out is what matters the most.

Yep...done the standing indian loop 5-6 times now...day,night,clockwise,counter clockwise....just glad to be out!

Dogwood
11-09-2014, 22:16
No way! A whole breath mint each day. Hope they were the UL/Backpackinglight approved breath mints. Couldn't you have cut those breath mints in half? Half a breath mint a day should be sufficient and more in line with reducing redundancy. How about eating Peppermint Patties instead having your food do double duty? :)

I've been reducing redundancy by leaving a headlamp at home when I'm hiking under a full moon. I'm considering going to one trekking pole and one shoe too. A CF iitsy bitsy tarp doubles as my rain jacket and ground cloth these days. Extra socks are my gloves. I've saved 1.3 ozs by emptying a food stuff sack into my backpack and having it double as a water bladder when needed. :)

squeezebox
11-09-2014, 22:19
I like the comment from someone who said, start with the stuff you think you need, then start sending stuff home ASAP. If you are afraid you will not have a good time.

Dogwood
11-09-2014, 22:28
Indeed, a USPO can be a a good friend to hikers who are seeking to reduce.

July
11-09-2014, 22:41

10k if you are used to this section of trail, maybe take a canine brother with, and watch the enthusiasm in his eyes...:)

Old Hiker
11-09-2014, 22:42
Just out of curiosity, what silt stopper are using?

Sent a personal msg, but then I thought other people who carry pump filters might find this useful:

I have an MSR Sweetwater filter. It clogged up badly, even with "clear" water on my 2012 try. I seemed to be constantly scrubbing the filter element. After I got this:

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-02214-SweetWater-Siltstopper/dp/B001HADTIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415587369&sr=8-1&keywords=silt+stopper

with extra:

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-SweetWater-Siltstopper-Replacement-Filters/dp/B001HAJEFO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415587125&sr=8-2&keywords=silt+stopper

I haven't had to change the filter yet. Probably about 250 miles or so.

MuddyWaters
11-09-2014, 23:31
Real compass in addition to one on watchband

Extra couple at zip locks

Extra couple rubber bands on wrist

Always have extra food, usually hike faster than planned

Usually carry extra water because I don't drink much. End up drinking 2 L in evening and only pee out 1/2 at at night.

Maps I never look at

Rain pants I don't wear much of yr.

Bronk
11-10-2014, 16:35
I am guilty of carrying way too much food. Last week I carried a 3 pound turkey breast...it was perfect weather for it...start the day with it frozen and it thaws out by dinner time...it made for a very nice dinner at the end of a long day, and generously fed two people and a dog. I always seem to forget that I'm usually so tired the first night that I don't eat much. So the last night out I end up trying to get my dog to eat all my extra food so I have a nice easy last day. I do carry an extra light, though it doesn't weigh much. I've usually got at least 3 lighters with me...one in my pants pocket, one in my food bag and one stashed somewhere else in my pack. I don't want to be without a way to make a fire.

Bronk
11-10-2014, 16:39
Sent a personal msg, but then I thought other people who carry pump filters might find this useful:

I have an MSR Sweetwater filter. It clogged up badly, even with "clear" water on my 2012 try. I seemed to be constantly scrubbing the filter element. After I got this:

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-02214-SweetWater-Siltstopper/dp/B001HADTIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415587369&sr=8-1&keywords=silt+stopper

with extra:

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-SweetWater-Siltstopper-Replacement-Filters/dp/B001HAJEFO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415587125&sr=8-2&keywords=silt+stopper

I haven't had to change the filter yet. Probably about 250 miles or so.

I've got an old Pur Hiker and recently bought a new cartridge for it and it comes with an extra prefilter screen that slides over the whole cartridge that never used to be on there...don't know when they started doing this because I haven't bought a new cartridge for at least 5 years. But at $40 a pop I'm thinking this may be the last time I buy a new cartridge for this filter...seems there are less expensive alternatives out there. Seems like these cartridges were only like $15 when I first got the filter in 2001...why are they so expensive now?

CalebJ
11-10-2014, 16:45
I can't speak to '01, but the last time I used a Hiker was in the mid to late 90's and they were definitely in the $30-40 range. Not much less than the whole system.

Gambit McCrae
11-10-2014, 16:51
I carry an extra hammer in case my go to hammer breaks, I would hate to not have a tent stake knocker inner

hikernutcasey
11-10-2014, 17:14
I'm in the same camp as many others who have posted.

-2 pairs of socks to wear/rotate and 1 to sleep in
-Plenty of TP but I don't see anything wrong with that since it weighs almost nothing
-Food - I've never ran out but many times finished with almost nothing. It's oddly satisfying to do that though :) It is the plan isn't it?

misterfloyd
11-10-2014, 17:14
Food is where I really pay a weight penalty. I try to base my food on the miles and what I can do. I'm always a section hiker so I never never develop "trail legs"..... more miles= less food on the back, quicker to resupply. I have tried cutting back, and always run out of energy. I always arrive with extra food.

In the winter I know my pack is going to be heavier because of clothes. Summer, lighter, only one changeable set of clothes. Winter I have extra set of L. Batteries, and fleece gloves. Nothing out of the ordinary.

It is always food and water........

Floyd

swisscross
11-10-2014, 17:31
Thought I was pretty organized.

Got home from my last trip and while unpacking I noticed I had packed three lighters. One in the cook kit, one in the first aid kit and in my pocket. Still don't know how that happened.

My down fall weight wise is water. Always afraid of running out and I hate stopping and refilling water bottles.
Only really happens when I know water might be sketchy.

Last trip I started out the second morning with 3 liters of water. Got to top of first climb and found water...oops.
The sad thing is there was a BS gathering water to put out their camp fire. We struck up a conversation and turned out he was carrying 8 liters of water. His water weight was as much as my entire pack weight, ouch.

Always carry one extra dinner and snack. Always have more than likely always will.

shelb
11-11-2014, 00:33
how many redundancies would there be. Do you carry extras of more than one thing "just in case"?

2 socks (in addition to the one I have on. 1 underwear. 1 t-shirt. 1 sports-bra. No other redundancies....(While I have one short, I also have a "conversion short" zip-off, so you might say I have two shorts)

Mags
11-11-2014, 13:34
All depends on the trip. Winter I have three hats for example (thick fleece balaclava, thin polypro balacava, beanie). Three-season solo? I bring just the thin balaclava.

When guiding, with my wife or with my friend's children, I take extra.

importman77
11-11-2014, 13:44

How about hiking with a pig or a chicken? You could have a backup food without having to carry it at all.

Dogwood
11-11-2014, 14:22
Sometimes I'll carry a bandana, merino wool beanie, and have a rain/wind jacket with a hood as well as sleeping bag with a hood. Some may say that is redundant in that I'm carrying several hats or multiple headwear pieces. These pieces don't all strictly function in the same way though. I'll incorporate wearing all these headwear pieces at once as part of a larger sleep system that provides the necessary warmth when I'm pushing the usable temp limit of a sleeping bag. Or, I'll wear the beanie with the bandana lowered around my ears while wearing the rain jacket with the hood up all to stay warm even when it's not raining on an exposed windy cold above treeline ridgeline walk. On some rare occasions I'll further wrap a sleeping bag/quilt around me while hiking to stay warm with the hood up over/under the rain jacket. A bandana serves to filter water, wipe off moisture/dirt, is soaked with water and wrapped around my head or neck to cool me down, is washed/sprayed with insect repellant so functions as a repellant, etc. UL carbon fiber poles help create a backpack suspension. Those so called extra pr of socks don't seem like extras when I can switch to a dry warm clean pr of socks in the morning rather than put on dirty wet cold socks that may increase the chances of raw skin/blisters on my feet or when that so called extra pr of warm dry clean socks are part of a dry warm clean sleep system when the other wet pr are still drying after being washed. That digital compass feature on my altimeter watch may be OK for general more basic navigation but I sure do appreciate the compass I may also be carrying in tight navigational situations. My goal as one seeking to minimize the wt I carry is to use pieces as often as reasonably possible sometimes in unconventional ways which increases their usefulness.

Redundant gear doesn't necessarily have to be defined as "extra" gear or "just in case " rather useless gear.

RangerZ
11-11-2014, 20:32
Finished the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail today. I was afraid of cold/snow last Saturday and took another jacket to back up my soft shell - didn't wear it at all. Same with a goretex shell, only used it against the wind while eating lunch at Seven Springs. Definitely packed for my fears.

Matches/lighter. Headlamp/keychain light. Everything else that people have mentioned.

The Solemates
11-11-2014, 22:08
I tend to be a minimalist…. but not necessarily an ultra-lightweight hiker. only "extra" things I ever carry are rainpants, matches, and occasionally a phone. i tend to use everything else, and tend to wind up back at the trailhead with very little if any food, TP, consumables, etc

some of the things people have mentioned are interesting:
socks: i carry only 1 pair of socks unless hiking in the winter, in which i carry (and then use) another pair. the 'extra' pair goes on the feet, and then the pair i wore during the day goes over top of them...and i wear 2 pair to bed. this keeps my feet warm and i flip-flop the socks each day for freshness.
batteries: I ensure a fresh set in the headlamp before leaving, regardless of the age of the batteries, and don’t use batteries for anything else
clothes: i wear everything i bring at some point and i sleep in the same clothes i hike in
water: this is one of the heaviest things you can carry "extra"; i try to camel up when possible and then carry less only a half liter if water sources are easy to come by (like on the AT)
knife: I rarely have a need for this, and only carry one if I bring food items that require it (like a block of cheese)
electronics: never carry them while hiking, except on occasion a phone
tent stakes: I count out just enough. If one breaks on the trail, a stick has worked for me on numerous occasions.
Supplemental water purification: I’ve never had my main purification source crap out on me, but if I did I would just risk it or boil
Lighter: that’s what the extra matches are for, so no need for another lighter
Rope/line: never had the need for it; tent cordage or shoe strings would do in an emergency
pack cover: i carry a trash bag that i sit on when i stop for breaks or when its wet/snow on the ground
Fuel: I guess technically if I have some left in the canister you could count this

that being said, i do carry at least one book (and maybe 2) on every trip...but these get used.

Dogwood
11-12-2014, 17:43
Don't any of you extra pr of socks people wear them as gloves and/or part of shoulder strap and hip belt padding on backpacks with that multi duty feature?

MuddyWaters
11-12-2014, 21:38
I have many times considered leaving that horrible 1.3 oz pr of spare socks behind. Only to toss it in at the last minute. Damn fears.

Studlintsean
11-12-2014, 22:28
I too carry 3 pairs of socks (2 walking and 1 sleep), crocs for camp, always some whiskey. I find all three of them worth the extra weight. Also, I sweat way more than the average person so I always drink a ton of water and per some standards, carry too much water (I almost always leave the water source with 2 liters). I noticed some people say they only carry enough to get to the next source. I would rather carry the extra 2 lbs than stop every 45 minutes, take my pack off, get my water scooper out, measure out my aqua mira, let it sit for 5 min, and get my legs warm again.

saltysack
11-12-2014, 23:02
I have many times considered leaving that horrible 1.3 oz pr of spare socks behind. Only to toss it in at the last minute. Damn fears.

Wish I brought a spare last trip as I got blisters from wet socks 2 days in a row...I'll gladly add another pair next trip!

Odd Man Out
11-13-2014, 00:40
I have a book of matches as a backup in case my bic lighter fails. I have a few left from the days when restaurants/bars/etc had a bowl of matches to give away at the door. They are hard to come by these days so I'm not sure what I'm going to do when they run out. I think I am currently packing my Russian Tea Room matches.

BuckeyeBill
11-13-2014, 07:45
I have a book of matches as a backup in case my bic lighter fails. I have a few left from the days when restaurants/bars/etc had a bowl of matches to give away at the door. They are hard to come by these days so I'm not sure what I'm going to do when they run out. I think I am currently packing my Russian Tea Room matches.

Bars have learned that lawyers use matches with the bar's name on them in lawsuits when patrons are involved in accidents as proof of being at the bar. Besides blank match books are cheaper.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Five Tango
11-13-2014, 08:16
I wonder if anyone carries a backup lighter in lieu of matches?

colorado_rob
11-13-2014, 09:59
I wonder if anyone carries a backup lighter in lieu of matches?Well... I carry a few matches ("stormproof") as a backup to my mini-lighter, which is really a backup to the piezo-electric igniter on my canister stove... so I suppose I'm doubly redundant for fire starting... just weighed it, the matches and lighter tip the scales at 0.7 ounces. But stormproof matches are really nice to have, along with a small brick (another 0.7 oz) of Trioxane fire starter material; basically can start an emergency camp fire in virtually any conditions. Wet/cold lighters are less robust and less reliable.

My "luxury" item is juice for my phone in the form of 2-3 backup batteries, 0.8 oz each, because I really enjoy reading on the trail and my Kindle phone app gets 1-2 hours use every evening.

wormer
11-13-2014, 10:35
I carry two 55 gallon clear plastic bags that I get from my local bottle redemption owner. These bags make a good full length rain coat or an emergency shelter if needed. I get these bags for free, which makes the price right.