PDA

View Full Version : Preplanning: Pros/Cons of starting month

KimmyWasHere
11-09-2014, 17:42
Pree-learning for 2016 (NOBO) & was wondering if anyone could offer pros/cons of starting at a certain time. For example, I had planned for mid to late February date to give myself more flexibility & time (pro) and then started to reconsider due to heavy snows being a strong possibility in the Smokies. Any and all advice greatly appreciated! :)

KimmyWasHere
11-09-2014, 17:49
Pre-planning* my tablet has a mind of it's own.

Lone Wolf
11-09-2014, 18:00
start the 1st week of april

bigcranky
11-09-2014, 18:47
+1 on early April. That still gives you six and a half months before Katahdin usually closes, which is plenty of time, and you skip most of the really bad late winter weather in the South.

Old Hiker
11-09-2014, 18:57
Depends on your job, income and other variables, in my opinion. I'm starting (again - 2nd try) 29 Feb 2016.

School starts again in mid-August. Gotta be back by then.
Slow walker: need as much time as possible.
Retired military so income for the wife isn't much of a problem.

Good luck - see ya on the Trail.

Slo-go'en
11-09-2014, 21:00
The southern Appalachians in April and May are really beautiful, with all the wild flowers, flowering trees and bushes. Missing that is almost as bad as showing up in Maine before the fall colors come out because you started too early.

Start in Feb and all you see is brown, plenty of mud and maybe some white (snow) for a very long time all the while dealing with temps which are often below freezing and lots of cold rain. You need more and heavier gear then those who start even just 6 weeks later. This is just one of several factors which makes hikers who start out in Feb have a very high rate of attrition. Starting in Feb adds a whole extra layer of difficulties on to an already difficult start for many who attempt a thru.

Lone Wolf
11-09-2014, 21:03
The southern Appalachians in April and May are really beautiful, with all the wild flowers, flowering trees and bushes. Missing that is almost as bad as showing up in Maine before the fall colors come out because you started too early.

Start in Feb and all you see is brown, plenty of mud and maybe some white (snow) for a very long time all the while dealing with temps which are often below freezing and lots of cold rain. You need more and heavier gear then those who start even just 6 weeks later. This is just one of several factors which makes hikers who start out in Feb have a very high rate of attrition. Starting in Feb adds a whole extra layer of difficulties on to an already difficult start for many who attempt a thru.

ummm. truth right here

Praha4
11-09-2014, 21:27
ditto... start in early April. Best time to hike New England is late summer-fall. Starting in Feb means you deal with cold/wet Feb-March weather in the south, plus you get to the Vermont mud at worst time of year. Start April, finish in late Aug or September, hike lighter.

dangerdave
11-09-2014, 21:36
I, for one, want to thank you all for this input. Originally, I intended to start 1st of April. Then, I got antsy and pushed my departure date up to give me more time. You all make great points, though. I'm going back to April.

I'll be retired then, so my schedule is completely flexible.

brian039
11-09-2014, 21:55
The only con about starting in April is that you hit PA at the hottest time of year which makes an already very mentally draining state to hike even tougher. But for all the reasons above, the pros outweigh the cons.

Praha4
11-09-2014, 22:02
IMO the early starters want to beat the mob, and are willing to tolerate the cold/wet weather if it means having less crowded shelters, campsites and trail.

map man
11-09-2014, 22:49
I wish I knew more about your hiking style. Are you already an experienced backpacker? Do you suspect your fitness is better or worse than the average thru-hiker hopeful? Do you figure that the social aspect of the hike is going to be very important to you, or less so? Which is less bothersome for you -- dealing with a lot of heat or dealing with a lot of cold weather? All of these things influence when your best starting date would be, and even whether an alternative itinerary to a traditional NOBO might be best for you.

I'll expand on the social aspect as a lot of previous posts have dealt with weather. The prime time when about 75% of NOBOs start is a six week window that begins the last few days of February and extends through the first week of April. During that time 40-50 NOBOs a day start from Springer. That number is likely to be even significantly higher in 2016 after the "Wild" and "Walk in the Woods" movies have had a chance to have a cultural effect. Starting with that many people means the odds are higher that you can quickly meet other hikers with similar hiking styles and compatible temperaments. It also means shelter space will be more scarce and resources at hostels and in trail towns will be stretched thinner. It's a trade off.

Also, the larger the "pod" you choose to hike in, the slower you are likely to make your way up the trail if keeping the pod together is important to you. The slower the progress, the earlier you need to start to make it to Katahdin by mid-October.

KimmyWasHere
11-10-2014, 01:42
I wish I knew more about your hiking style. Are you already an experienced backpacker? Do you suspect your fitness is better or worse than the average thru-hiker hopeful? Do you figure that the social aspect of the hike is going to be very important to you, or less so? Which is less bothersome for you -- dealing with a lot of heat or dealing with a lot of cold weather? All of these things influence when your best starting date would be, and even whether an alternative itinerary to a traditional NOBO might be best for you.

I'll expand on the social aspect as a lot of previous posts have dealt with weather. The prime time when about 75% of NOBOs start is a six week window that begins the last few days of February and extends through the first week of April. During that time 40-50 NOBOs a day start from Springer. That number is likely to be even significantly higher in 2016 after the "Wild" and "Walk in the Woods" movies have had a chance to have a cultural effect. Starting with that many people means the odds are higher that you can quickly meet other hikers with similar hiking styles and compatible temperaments. It also means shelter space will be more scarce and resources at hostels and in trail towns will be stretched thinner. It's a trade off.

Also, the larger the "pod" you choose to hike in, the slower you are likely to make your way up the trail if keeping the pod together is important to you. The slower the progress, the earlier you need to start to make it to Katahdin by mid-October.

I will say i am no expert, but I am not a beginner. Several extended trips in Cheaha hiking the Pinhoti this past year after kind of "rediscovering" hiking, if you will. I would say at the moment my fitness is worse, due to being a stay at home mom. While i do look forward to meeting people along the way, that is NOT my ultimate goal. The social aspect weighs far less than the personal & mental growth to me. I would say I am better suited to dealing with warm weather vs cold, coming from as far south Alabama as you can get but have dealt with snow & ice before on trips to the Smokies. I also know that snow/ice/frigid temps may happen sporadically for quite a while anyway. It is alot to think about with alot of unknowns for a first time long-distance trip but i am sure everyone goes through this process. Thanks to all these answers! Time to do a greater bit of pondering!

illabelle
11-10-2014, 06:21
I'm just a section hiker, but if I were attempting to do the whole trail in a year, I would start in Damascus in early March, and hike north to Delaware Water Gap. Then I'd do the piece from Springer to Damascus, and finish up with DWG to Katahdin. This itinerary, or a similar one of your own, can help to ease the overcrowding in Georgia and North Carolina and improves the likelihood of pleasant temperatures over more of the trail. I'd aim to hit Pennsylvania in the late spring, the Smokies in the summer heat, and the northeast in the late summer and fall.

dangerdave
11-10-2014, 08:00
What's the difference between PA in July, or PA in August? Hot either way.

If the following items will scare you off, you are not likely to make it: snow, walking, people, cold, heat, rain, bugs, hunger, walking, drinking two gallons of water each day, rain, walking, tired, sore, achy, BO, itchy, blisters, rain, bears, crapping in the woods...um, did I mention rain? Reality has a way of snuffing the hype.

In the "cosmic view", these troubles are balanced by meeting some wonderful folks, seeing some really cool places, being free of nearly all concerns except your own, and having a sense of personal accomplishment that rivals no other deed. While these things may seem insubstantial and non-quantifiable, they are indeed worthwhile. If you mesh with the trail, and find that place of purpose within, you will be sitting comfortably atop Maslow's Hierarchy, and the hardships will become meaningless.

garlic08
11-10-2014, 08:47
I started my hike early April and kinda wished I'd started a couple of weeks later. I would have missed a couple of fairly serious snow storms in the Southern Appalachians. One reason I started earlier was to beat the summer through the mid-Atlantic, and that was successful. I was in New England by the time things started getting warm in June. So I understand the planning aspect of AT hiking.

From what I've seen, a February start may mean an expensive hike. You'll probably spend a lot of money on lodging and meals, sitting out the storms. Or on shuttles, going around some areas and coming back later. Or buying additional cold-weather gear and shipping it home later.

Starting in April will mean a six-month season instead of an eight-month season. With a modicum of physical fitness, experience and commitment, six months is plenty of time for a fun AT hike.

johnnybgood
11-10-2014, 10:05
Unless you're a seasoned winter backpacker ; then you're likely to spend time off trail in hostels or motels.
While you're holed up in a motel waiting for the inclement weather to pass the more money in your thru hiker budget is being spent.

colorado_rob
11-10-2014, 10:22
I started on April 10th, and if I did it again, I'd definitely start earlier, like mid-March. One major reason for myself is the longer time spent before the thick Appalachian forest leafs-out. I much preferred my AT hiking time before it turned into that famous Green Tunnel. My mental state dropped once the leaves were in full bloom.

As said below, a mid-February start will likely mean lots of down time and more expense.

Grampie
11-10-2014, 10:32
I started my thru in mid April and still faced cold weather, 8 degrees, cold rain, and snow. Bad weather is one of the first hardships you will have to cope with. Starting a little later in the spring will make your experience some what better. A lot of early starters give up and quit or skip a lot of the trail because of the bad weather they face.
You will face some crowds in the spring but they will soon spreas out and the trail will not be so crowded. Quite a few hikers are hiking during spring break and they will soon leave to return to school.

msumax1985
11-10-2014, 17:03
I left Springer in March 24, 2013. That's just about right to miss the worst winter weather. I took a zero waiting on freezing rain in Franklin. And got to the Smoky's when the last of a 1-2 foot snow storm was about melted. Every year is different. But if you have no other life/time restrictions, I'd recommend an April 1 start. You should have good views through the leafless trees until about Hot Springs. And you could get away with a 20+ degree sleeping bag. I prefer my 30 degree quilt, and might even get away with that. Leaving in Feb/early March, you'll definitely need a much heavier bag that will need to be swapped out eventually, so added cost of two bags. Many people leaving early need to sit out winter storms, so more cost with extra lodging.

Mr. Toad
11-12-2014, 10:08
The attached article doesn't speak directly to your question about best starting times, but if you are concerned about weather and crowds, it does lay out the options available to you. Good luck to you.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

rwagner
11-16-2014, 12:09
Mid February is too early for me. I helped someone start on Valentine's Day in 2012. She had to stop two days later due to temperatures in the teens accompanied by snow and ice. Consider that you may need to pack different gear for colder temps and it will likely be a heavier load.

Dogwood
11-16-2014, 13:54
start the 1st week of april

Well said!

ditto... start in early April. Best time to hike New England is late summer-fall. Starting in Feb means you deal with cold/wet Feb-March weather in the south, plus you get to the Vermont mud at worst time of year. Start April, finish in late Aug or September, hike lighter.

I started my hike early April and kinda wished I'd started a couple of weeks later. I would have missed a couple of fairly serious snow storms in the Southern Appalachians. One reason I started earlier was to beat the summer through the mid-Atlantic, and that was successful. I was in New England by the time things started getting warm in June. So I understand the planning aspect of AT hiking.

From what I've seen, a February start may mean an expensive hike. You'll probably spend a lot of money on lodging and meals, sitting out the storms. Or on shuttles, going around some areas and coming back later. Or buying additional cold-weather gear and shipping it home later.

Starting in April will mean a six-month season instead of an eight-month season. With a modicum of physical fitness, experience and commitment, six months is plenty of time for a fun AT hike.

All this. Starting that early you're more likely to quit too. Save the Feb start dates for a later hike after you enjoy this hike.

takethisbread
11-16-2014, 14:26
Early to mid April. Fitness level is not too important as that comes automatically. No matter how you start , by Damascus you will be a good hiker . I feel like the cold rains/snows/nights sometimes lead folks to quit. April is def. more social,

As stated above . April starters tend to hike quicker and cheaper. I did a April start and took no winter gear. I suffered a bit, but the point is you won't need as many winter items. IMO

jdc5294
11-16-2014, 16:41
I started Feb 19, sure it was cold but I still had a fantastic time and I beat the crowd. Absolutely no issue getting work for stay in the Whites, and there was exactly 1 time when a shelter was full before I got there.

ScottTrip
11-16-2014, 20:16
Start when you want to. There is always good and bad about everything. I started March 9th.... It will always be hot and cold. That is what makes the Hike So great.

Kaptain Kangaroo
11-16-2014, 21:34
Yep, the "best" starting time is different for everyone...... I started March 3rd so I could avoid hot weather. Cold doesn't bother me, but heat does. Was in Maine by late June & did not have to suffer too much hot weather along the way........ Would do the same again, or even a bit earlier if I did it again. As others have already said, early start means packing appropriately & having the time & money to wait out storms if necessary.

KimmyWasHere
11-17-2014, 11:17
Thanks guys! I am eyeballing a mid-march date. A bit later than originally planned but a bit earlier than the initial "rush". I think I am so afraid I will hike so slowly I will need the extra time :) (even though I know I have never hiked THAT slowly).

Just Bill
11-17-2014, 11:31
I'd chime in for as late as May. If you look at some of the paces, zeros taken, and MPHD in Map Man's info I think it's fair to say that even April hikers loose a fair bit of schedule (not to mention funds) fighting early spring. If budget is an issue, this seems like the safest in regards to heavy winter gear and frequent rest days early on.

Just as march vs april is a vast improvement, so is april vs may. The average NOBO hiker takes longer to hike the beginning of the trail than to hike the whites. Fitness and other factors play a part, but trail conditions and weather are likely a big factor as well. Even if fitness (or youth) is in your favor, it's tough going on muddy half frozen spring trail.

As con, if it is one for you, likely you will miss out on some of the experience and camaraderie of an April start with fellow hikers.

rafe
11-17-2014, 11:37
Starting early April, I missed the worst of winter, but by a hair. Got a dusting of snow near Blood Mtn. and several sub-freezing nights in the first few weeks. I never had to walk through snow, except that one day.

But the weather varies radically from day to day; even in those first few weeks -- in addition to the freezing nights -- there were a number of days with temps in the 70s.

As late as early May, hikers just behind us got caught in a whiteout crossing over Roan. So -- expect the unexpected!

Jim Adams
11-17-2014, 12:57
Pa. in August is consistently a lot hotter than July. The heat just drains me and I am an avid winter hiker but I still would not leave in February. Mid March is a good compromise. I started once on the 25th and once on the 17th. Only had a few really cold days and light snow each year but it made for a much more relaxed hike due to the extra time available.

RED-DOG
11-17-2014, 14:03
It all depends on YOU, I started all my thru's in mid FEB and loved every minute of it but I also have lots of winter hiking experience and love hiking in snow, if you have experience in winter hiking conditions start I n FEB if you don't start later, if you plan to attend Trail days start in mid april that way you will be hiking to trail days instead of getting 2-300 miles past Damascus and having to hitch back to trail days why would any body want to do that is beyond me , but yeah it all depends on you and your experiences.

cbg
11-17-2014, 16:26
Started on Monday February 21, 2011. I did this for a variety of reasons but the main one was I knew that I was 50 & out of shape (30+ pounds over weight) and felt that it would take one month to get into shape and have a good set of trail legs. IMO, I made a good decision in that after 12days I felt like I had my trail legs (could hike 12-15 miles a day and not be exhausted) and was starting to get into what I consider reasonable physical condition. I did not take a zero until I had been on the trail for 27 days but I did have a few low mileage days where I only did 5-9 miles before I stopped to resupply, get a hot shower & sleep in a warm bed. IMO, if you are not in good physical condition its less taxing on the body to hike in the cold weather than when its hot & humid.

CarlZ993
11-17-2014, 22:57
I started on 3/21/13 & it was cold at the start. A good amount of snow & ice (wish I brought my Micro-spikes). I'd recommend a later start (2 - 3 weeks later) to miss some of the cold & icy trails.

I finished up on 8/19/13. 152 days total w/ 12 zero days. I only had one bad weather zero (Port Clinton, PA). The rest of the time, I just slogged through it. No hiker high on those days. See schedule below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vq3wfR_I1vBnCQkuIrKKB_Kx0xdti_I8Tf37jA3gt1M/edit#gid=0

BillyGr
11-18-2014, 17:06
Picking a good start time is tricky, since while there are trends, there is never a guarantee what weather will be like any year. Here’s a good example:
Our Troop has attended the same summer camp every summer since 1996, all but 1 of these in the last 3 weeks (so say July 24th - Aug 12th range).
Over the years there have been times when you needed a sweatshirt and long pants in the morning (OK, sometimes all day long). Other times it was almost impossible to sleep on top of your sleeping bag as it was so hot and humid. Some years constant rain and storms all week, others 99% sunshine.
And remember, this is all in the exact same place and time of year. So if that place can vary that much year to year, any other place may do the same.
With all of that, it would make sense that those planning to start early be prepared for cold, snow, ice and such and probably have at least some experience in cold weather camping. Probably many don’t, which might explain the higher dropout rate early on.

TEXMAN
11-18-2014, 18:16
Every year this question is discussed and every year I add the following comment that usually goes unsaid ...

In Feb the days are shorter .... probably by 2 -3 hours per day from Mid April sun comes up at 7:30 and is down by 5:30 pm...
which means you hike in the dark or spend 13-14hours in your tent every night

The Solemates
11-19-2014, 00:03
any time is a good time to start a thru of the AT! I'd start any day of the year if I could!