PDA

View Full Version : MRE revisited for Backpacking

Wise Old Owl
11-09-2014, 22:42
Well we all know MRE (Meals Ready to Eat) is a failure for backpackers. Why? they are just that shelf stable, no water added, and open the pouch. They are good for five years in all weather issues. And terribly heavy... well a few BP's have admitted to stripping the meals down to just the packs and nothing else. So imagine my surprise as I walked into one of my favorite bicycle stores in Jim Thorpe, PA and there are MRE on clearance for $3 each. Brown packages of Apple Turnover at 3.1 oz and Honey BBQ sandwich at 3.5 oz so a few backups won't be junk in your tru..... eh backpack. This is a relatively new company and food that you buy will be shelf stable for 5 years.

Here's your link

campingsurvival.com/bridgfordfoods.html (http://www.campingsurvival.com/bridgfordfoods.html)

check out the other links under the same site... pretty cool

The Cleaner
11-09-2014, 23:49
Great find. Those new to backpacking and wanting to go UL, well not so good. After 30+ years of backcountry meals, something different and possibly tasty the slight weight penalty is moot. If you can't hump a few extra ounces you will be stuck with lots of Ramen and lots of town resupply stops. Lots of hikers still can't carry out their trash:eek:....28869

Leanthree
11-09-2014, 23:56
Eat whatever you want.

For me, MREs are too heavy cal/oz and everything is individually wrapped. If you schlep the heater that is extra weight and IMO they taste terrible and produce a lot of trash. They make sense for the millitary because they last forever and don't require cooking, but I get to go to the grocery store once week and bring an alcohol stove.

Tuckahoe
11-10-2014, 00:34
Great, I happen to agree, though WOO wasn't advocating the use of whole MREs. He was pointing out that some components are infact viable options -- such as the Bridgeford Foods MRE sandwich. The reality is other than supper and maybe breakfast, most backpackers already carry "full weight" food for their mid day meals. Using an MRE component wouldn't be illogical and not that different than carrying crackers and a pack of tuna.

JumpMaster Blaster
11-10-2014, 01:38
I usually bring one MRE (either an entree or snack) on my hikes. Perfect for a meal where I don't need to boil water. There is a weight tradeoff, but they take up less space than a Mountain House. You'd be crazy to carry the whole thing- break it out of the cardboard & take what you need. Right now I'm on a keto diet & 2 no-carb entrees were perfect.

July
11-10-2014, 01:39
Great, I happen to agree, though WOO wasn't advocating the use of whole MREs. He was pointing out that some components are infact viable options -- such as the Bridgeford Foods MRE sandwich. The reality is other than supper and maybe breakfast, most backpackers already carry "full weight" food for their mid day meals. Using an MRE component wouldn't be illogical and not that different than carrying crackers and a pack of tuna.
Woo deff is civil conet bull**** to MRE. I f younwant to connect, Actice Service and it'sfar in between.

JumpMaster Blaster
11-10-2014, 01:40
Some of the better choices for backpacking- cheese & peanut butter packs, tortillas, nut mix, jerky, bread.

levibarry
11-10-2014, 02:30
I have actually tried this one Honey BBQ sandwich and it was not bad. They came two to a package
when I got them. I heated one and then ate the other right of the bag. The warm one (in bag)
was better just
used boiling water. Just cold wasn't real bad but a warm drink to wash down helps. Had tea.

levibarry

peakbagger
11-10-2014, 09:21
There is a new style of MRE called FSR (First Strike Rations), they are MREs that have been stripped of most of the extra packaging and are all items that can be eaten directly out of the pack. Each package has 2500 calories. There is no need for the MRE heaters as everything can be heated cold. They also include caffeinated chewing gum and pudding to replace coffee. I see them on ebay on very rare occasions. They are not cheap and an AT backpacker would be far off better off using standard resupply techniques. That said, many of the items might be a nice addition to a menu for a rainy day when you need calories but don't have time to stop.

I have a case of them in the house for emergency situations (winter storms and power outages or road trips in nasty conditions and I know of several folks who carry standard MREs in their vehicle for emergencies.

By the way, officially MREs and FSRs cannot be sold but its not illegal to own them, its definitely a very gray area for the US government issued items, but some of the contractors supply civilian alternatives. MREinfo.com has everything you need to know.

perrymk
11-10-2014, 10:30
Be prepared (http://beprepared.com/food-storage/mres.html?meal_types=348)has a year supply of MREs for $4200. I believe they come in around 3000-3500 calories per day so a 6 month thru hiker could be fed 6000-7000 calories per day for 6 months. I guess it's an option, though not for me. The also have shorter time period packages. Keeping a few burritos in the bottom of the pack as a backup emergency meal might not be a bad idea.

BobTheBuilder
11-10-2014, 10:36
Woo deff is civil conet bull**** to MRE. I f younwant to connect, Actice Service and it'sfar in between.

Least coherent comment I've ever seen on WB, and that is saying something. Winner winner, chicken dinner!

CalebJ
11-10-2014, 10:41
Celebrating the Marine Corps birthday, perhaps?

swjohnsey
11-10-2014, 10:44
The First Strike Ration is about 2,900 calories for 40 ounces. Pretty easy to get 100 calores/ounce at the grocery store much cheaper.