PDA

View Full Version : Water availabilty between NOC and Fontana in January?

High Side
11-09-2014, 23:38
I am wondering if the springs are still flowing with the possibility of freezing weather.

jj2044
11-10-2014, 00:57
umm sure.. if they are not frozen, they will be running..... there is no way to know... you realize how many factors go into this ? could they be running ?yes... could they all be frozen? YES..... could only half be running ?? Yes...... could half be frozen? Yes ..... could there be a turd floater in each spring ? YES (doubtful, but still a yes)........ what's the temp been, its it a dry, wet, or cold winter, how long has it been cold for ? these are just a few things people would need to know to give you answer...... 2 months from now! the distance you are walking is 27 miles, with water at the start and end.... you will be fine.

10-K
11-10-2014, 06:29
Should be ok... I'm not familiar with the location of the water sources in this area but if I remember right there's water on the climb out of Fontana about halfway up (4ish miles)?

You'll find water, no worries.

The Cleaner
11-10-2014, 09:19
Spring water comes out of the ground at 52* year round. The only way some springs could freeze if they are coming out if a metal pipe without any other opening. I've been out many times in temps well below freezing and the spring water felt "warm". Sometimes you may see rising vapors from springs in very cold weather as the water is warmer than the air temperature. I was on the AT in the Artic blast in Jan 85' when the temperature was -28*. The spring where I was at was running fine.

High Side
11-15-2014, 18:48
Thanks you all for the information. One other question, how many hours should it take an in shape hiker to make it from NOC to Cheoah Bald? I know its about 8 miles, im thinking 6 hours hike time? We are driving 4 hours to get to the NOC so Im debating how early we need to leave.

bigcranky
11-15-2014, 18:55
That climb out of NOC will get your attention in either direction. Six hours is reasonably conservative for an in-shape hiker.

Sly
11-15-2014, 19:52
That climb out of NOC will get your attention in either direction. Six hours is reasonably conservative for an in-shape hiker.

Agreed, both are some of the longest climbs on the trail.

AO2134
11-24-2014, 19:20
NOC to Fontana was much easier the NOC to Wayah. Much, much easier. I made it up from NOC to Sassafras without taking a break or slowing down much in pace.

Jacobs ladder, which comes after stecoah gap, also is said to be rough, but I didn't find it that bad. It was over as quickly as it started. Sure it was steep, but it is over quickly.

If you hike regularly, not one of these three climbs should effect you much.

As for water, Sassafras has a legit little spring/stream. That should be fine. Brown Fork Gap Shelter also had a great spring which should be fine. I don't remember much in between.

As I can hike at least 2 shelters per day, I usually only stop to get water at Shelters. Every shelter will have reliable water that I doubt will freeze given how well it was flowing, but I have no experience at that time so what do I know.

RED-DOG
11-25-2014, 11:24
The only water sources in this area is at the shelters., and their is one small spring on top big walker MT if their not frozen their be running just fine.

Seatbelt
11-26-2014, 11:21
There is usually good water at Locust Cove Gap 2.4 mi north of Cheogh Bald also. It will be to your left as you enter the gap/campsite.

Tipi Walter
11-26-2014, 11:39
Spring water comes out of the ground at 52* year round. The only way some springs could freeze if they are coming out if a metal pipe without any other opening. I've been out many times in temps well below freezing and the spring water felt "warm". Sometimes you may see rising vapors from springs in very cold weather as the water is warmer than the air temperature. I was on the AT in the Arctic blast in Jan 85' when the temperature was -28*. The spring where I was at was running fine.

I remember that cold snap in January '85 as I was in Boone NC and living in the mountains surrounding Boone out of a backpack with a good tent and sleeping bag. They called it the Arctic Outbreak and we got -30F for several days, with high winds. It was hellish. It got so bad I came out of the hills and into town and spent a couple nights on my Thermarest under a pew in the Baptist Church on King St. The building stayed open and unlocked but I was the only person pulling the storm inside. Who has gear for 30 below??

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2007/15-Days-in-the-Cold-with-a/i-RTG47zg/0/L/DSC00801-L.jpg

As far as creeks freezing up in severe cold, well, sometimes they do. Here's a shot of a little spring below Fodderstack Ridge near Cherry Log Gap in very low temps as I went to do a water run. But with enough effort and a hammer rock you can break thru the ice and find liquid. A good size creek never gets totally solid in the Southeast.

High Side
11-27-2014, 10:23
Thank you all for the information