PDA

View Full Version : what to wear

barefooter333
11-10-2014, 09:34
what do u guys and girls wear.i am talking about for fall and winter. what pants and shirts

Havana
11-10-2014, 09:44
I wear the same convertible pants that I normally wear with a layer of cap underneath if it's cool. And I have a pair of either rain pants or snow pants (insulated rain pants) that I carry if it's real cold for additional layering though it rarely gets that bad. I'm more likely to wear the snow pants while shoveling snow than hiking. :)

Up top it's long sleeve cap shirt with another LS shirt over it if I'm cool. Then I go lw fleece and wind breaker (though I'm more likely to use the wind breaker first cause fleece is usually too warm). I find I need the most warmth at camp and that's where I'll break out a Down sweater as a layering piece and I have a pair of fleece pants for extra warmth and sleep.

I don't enjoy backpacking and camping at temps below freezing but I do enjoy the shoulder seasons for their solitude and beauty so I'll still get out a bit.

saltysack
11-10-2014, 10:28
For me a pair of conv pants with a cap 4 hoody good alone to 30-40 deg if hiking....any colder or windy I add my rain/wind shell an OR helium 11...I usually go strait to bed at camp so put on my fleece Beenie, liner gloves, Montbell ul down parka over fresh caps top and bottoms w heavier wool sox....works to about +5....marmot helium 15 deg down bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OwenM
11-10-2014, 10:49
Marmot Scree Pants over boxer briefs, and an OR Ferrosi hoody over a Capilene 1 or 2 top. Have only needed more during the second round of the polar vortex this January when it was 12-15F in the daytime for a couple of days. Wore Capilene 3 top and bottoms for that, and even a zipneck fleece as a midlayer for a little while in the morning of the second day.

Bronk
11-10-2014, 16:24
When I went out last week it got down as low as 25 degrees and here's what I had with me (my usual winter setup, which I've used down to 5 degrees):

polyester tshirt, shortsleeve
polyester tshirt, longsleeve
long sleeve fleece
fleece vest
rain jacket
nylon jogging pants
two pairs of socks with liners

During the day I'm down to the short sleeved tshirt as long as its above 40 degrees...if I stop for more than 5 minutes the layers start going on immediately, as soon as I stop...if you wait too long, you'll get cold and it will be really hard to get warmed back up...if you leave too many layers on your clothes will all be soaked with sweat when you get to camp and need them to keep you warm.

Slo-go'en
11-10-2014, 16:43
I often wear blue jeans for day hikes in the winter, with gaiters to keep snow off the cuffs. Their pretty wind proof and warm. Just don't get 'em wet. Or I'll wear Dickie work pants which are much warmer and wind proof then the thin nylon hiking pants which are the norm these days - and a heck of a lot cheaper. Again with gaiters and maybe rain/wind pants if it's really cold, hemmed just below the knees since they don't have to be full length if your wearing gaiters.

Don't need a whole lot on the upper body while active, just a couple of layers and a wind breaker. Now if your camping you'll need additional layers depending on how cold and/or wet it might be after you stop for the day.