PDA

View Full Version : Salomon hiking shoes, anyone else wear these?

Cedar1974
11-10-2014, 10:55
I was watching one of my favorite hiker and hangers on youtube and he was talking about the hiking boots from here:

http://www.salomon.com/us/range/hiking-footwear.html?intcmp=mainmea_sports_us_hiking_cosm ic4d2gtx_FW14

I was wondering if anyone else has tried these and just how durable are they?

mattjv89
11-10-2014, 11:17
So if I understand you're asking for general feedback about the Salomon brand and not a particular model you're looking at? I have a pair of the Salomon Xa mesh trail runners and couldn't be much happier with them. Bought them midway through a section hike to replace a pair of boots that were torturing my Achilles tendons. I know switching from boots to trail runners mid hike is supposed to be a no no but I had zero issues. They fit very well the first time and I do like that speed lacing system, I was a little skeptical of it at first but it holds its position and whatever they make the laces out of seems very strong despite it's thin size. There's plenty of tread on them to grip on the VT terrain. One small gripe about them, there was a little spot on the inside that rubbed both feet near my pinky toe when they were brand new. I felt inside the shoe and it seems to be where the stitching for the side panels is terminated, there's a little patch of knotted thread that sticks out a bit. Doesn't bother me anymore but it was a little annoying for the first few days.

I've only had mine for about 60 miles of walking so durability wise I can at least verify they aren't total garbage as they still look brand new, but can't honestly appraise how long they will likely hold up for.

HooKooDooKu
11-10-2014, 11:43
I currently wear the Salomon Quest 4D GTX.

I've only had them for two hiking seasons, which for me means they have about 300 miles on them. I don't see any obvious signs of wear that makes me think I'll be replacing them any time soon.

Perhaps the two best clues that these are some good hiking boots:
1. They are never on sale.
2. With almost 300 reviews @ REI, they have an average review rating of about 4.5+.

However, I wouldn't buy a pair (for the first time) online. I'd go somewhere you can try them on. Every foot is different, so it doesn't matter what the quality of the boot is if it doesn't fit you foot well.

Old Grouse
11-10-2014, 11:43
+1 on Salomon Xa trailrunners. Very good fit, very comfortable. I've been in them since June and they're holding up very well.

ScottTrip
11-10-2014, 12:20
I did the first 1100 miles of the AT in a single pair of Salomon Trailrunners no one problem. I did change out the insoles with SuperFeet..

Cedar1974
11-10-2014, 13:00
I did the first 1100 miles of the AT in a single pair of Salomon Trailrunners no one problem. I did change out the insoles with SuperFeet..

1100 miles? I haven't heard of any shoe making it past 500 to 600 miles. 1100 miles has to be a shoe record.:banana

RED-DOG
11-10-2014, 13:11
I don't use that brand but I have use the X Ultra GTX and they are awesome.

ScottTrip
11-10-2014, 13:13
1100 miles? I haven't heard of any shoe making it past 500 to 600 miles. 1100 miles has to be a shoe record.:banana

Well, there was not much left of them...

Shutterbug
11-10-2014, 20:05
I was watching one of my favorite hiker and hangers on youtube and he was talking about the hiking boots from here:

http://www.salomon.com/us/range/hiking-footwear.html?intcmp=mainmea_sports_us_hiking_cosm ic4d2gtx_FW14

I bought a pair and gave them a god try. The soles were too stiff for me. I returned them to REI.

Bags4266
11-10-2014, 20:34
That's all I wear. I find the toe area more roomier than others.

Del Q
11-10-2014, 21:02
Great shoes, super lateral support..........no longer wide-friendly.

Cedar1974
11-11-2014, 05:50
I bought a pair and gave them a god try. The soles were too stiff for me. I returned them to REI.

I'm actually looking for a stiff sole. It should be better for my ankles.

takethisbread
11-11-2014, 19:35
Salomon are great. But they vary depending on your feet. Some are thin models and some are wider. I strictly use the xt wings. I love them, they are costly $160, and never on sale, but they work for me. I went through 4 pair on thru hike tho, so they aren't durable

wormer
11-12-2014, 08:42
I have been wearing my XA Pro 3D lately with the speed laces loose. The shoes stay on my feet nicely and go from real good fit, to a perfect fit. The laces are a closed loop design and have a tongue pocket that the excess lace goes into, so excess lace isn't a problem. The tongue is sewed into the shoe which makes the fit similar to a slip on when worn loose. While hiking I would recommend wearing the laces tightened up to prevent any small amount of foot movement inside the shoe.

Cedar1974
11-12-2014, 12:23
Actually, I am lucky enough to live near a Gander Mountain store that carries Salomons now. I may be lucky enough to catch a sale like this weekend for Veterans Day where you got 10% off your total purchase.

garyp
11-13-2014, 01:39
i just got the 4d and not sure if my insoles are wrong or the boots. my feet hurt but i do like the feel of the suport i get with those boots.

Chair-man
11-13-2014, 08:11

When you go to the link you posted and scroll down to Adventure Hiking you'll see the
XA PRO MID GTX ($170.00) (http://www.salomon.com/us/product/xa-pro-mid-gtx.html) & the
X ULTRA MID GTX ($160.00) (http://www.salomon.com/us/product/x-ultra-mid-gtx.html)
Both of these have a sneaker like feel to them. Salomon calls them shoes and the soles are not as stiff as their Backpacking boots.
Both of these have received good reviews and the X ULTRA MID GTX will be on sale at REI from Nov 14 to 23 for $119.00. I'm going to be getting a pair of these sometime soon so if anyone has any experience with these let me know.
One last thing, when I buy footwear anymore I buy a full size larger than my foot measures and then add a gel insole. I've had great success with this method. Your mileage may vary.

tpike2
12-30-2014, 05:15
I got a pair of Brooks Cascadia's with 800 miles on them. I am pretty sure there is at least 200 more miles left on them.