PDA

View Full Version : Map for Member Location (Where ya at??)

chomp
10-20-2005, 16:19
OK, I just saw this on another site that I frequent, so I figured I would post there here. Click on the link below and then click "Add Yourself". We can build an interactive map of Whiteblaze members and their locations just by using a name and a zip code.

http://www.risingconcepts.com/frapper/whiteblaze

So what do you say, Whiteblaze? What part of the world do you hail from?

Auntie Mame
10-20-2005, 20:24
OK, I just saw this on another site that I frequent, so I figured I would post there here. Click on the link below and then click "Add Yourself". We can build an interactive map of Whiteblaze members and their locations just by using a name and a zip code.

http://www.risingconcepts.com/frapper/whiteblaze

So what do you say, Whiteblaze? What part of the world do you hail from?

I couln't get the map to show. What's up? They accepted my name and location... :-? http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=133147#

CynJ
10-20-2005, 21:06
This is neat!

TJ aka Teej
10-20-2005, 22:52
Cool! Stealing it for my family history and genealogy webpages! :O)
Nice 'sticker' to add there too, thanks Chomp!

Whistler
10-21-2005, 03:31
This is pretty sweet. Thanks!
-Mark

Kerosene
10-21-2005, 07:20
Cool idea. I'm the first to register from Michigan, but I know that there are a bunch of other WB members out there! Get a picture of yourself out there so we can recognize each other on the Trail!

SGT Rock
10-21-2005, 07:41
You know, I was wondering if it would be possible to do something similar with a trail map of the AT. That way you could track the class of 2006 as they progress up the trail-of course they would have to update their position at towns to make it work.

lobster
10-21-2005, 10:32
I mentioned this a couple years ago on another website and the issue of hiker safety ( especially women) was brought up.

lobster
10-21-2005, 10:35
By the way, it is a cool idea! I think a yellow hiker icon for yellow-blazers, blue for blue-blazers, and ??? for purists! Just joking.

jlb2012
10-21-2005, 10:40
OK, I just saw this on another site that I frequent, so I figured I would post there here.

You wouldn't also be a TTer would you chomp? That's where I first saw this app. ;)

chomp
10-21-2005, 10:45
You wouldn't also be a TTer would you chomp? That's where I first saw this app. ;)
A VFTT'er is that is what you mean. :)

Footslogger
10-21-2005, 10:50
Only pin in Wyoming.

'Slogger

jlb2012
10-21-2005, 11:18
A VFTT'er is that is what you mean. :)

Ahhh that explains it a forum I don't normally check but someone on TT obviously does and got the same idea. :jump

lobster
10-21-2005, 13:44
I posted my name and zip code and I don't see anything on the map or my name on the list!

Footslogger
10-21-2005, 13:46
I posted my name and zip code and I don't see anything on the map or my name on the list!====================================
Same thing happened to me at first. It takes a few minutes to update the records and repaint the screen.

'Slogger

lobster
10-21-2005, 14:10
All's good now. The shootout is required!

gumby
10-21-2005, 14:14
Shootout is required then the update is almost immediate.

gumby

chomp
10-21-2005, 15:27
OK, I made a few changes to the Frapper so it has a little bit of the Whiteblaze feel. Also, while you cannot edit your entry, I have admin access and I have some editing abilities. If you made a mistake with location or "shout out" and want me to delete your entry, drop me a PM.

Tha Wookie
10-21-2005, 15:38
Only pin in Wyoming.

'Slogger
Did I tell you about my middle school science teacher? He said Wyoming was a figment of our imagination. When we argued, he said, "ok, well does anyone here know anyone who's ever been to Wyoming?" The room fell silent.

Now I finally know better.

Footslogger
10-21-2005, 15:51
[QUOTE=Tha Wookie]Did I tell you about my middle school science teacher? He said Wyoming was a figment of our imagination. When we argued, he said, "ok, well does anyone here know anyone who's ever been to Wyoming?" The room fell silent.
=====================================
Yeah ...when I was a kid I always thought "Wyomingite" was some form of rare earth element. NOW I ARE ONE !!

'Slogger

SGT Rock
10-21-2005, 15:52
I mentioned this a couple years ago on another website and the issue of hiker safety ( especially women) was brought up.
Well a woman worried about safety wound not have to opt into updating, or she could give false reports of location LOL.

But also something to think of safety wise is if you give accurate reports and then stop reporting, the last site reported gives family and friends a point of reference to start from.

Spartan Hiker
10-21-2005, 16:01
Well a woman worried about safety wound not have to opt into updating, or she could give false reports of location LOL.

But also something to think of safety wise is if you give accurate reports and then stop reporting, the last site reported gives family and friends a point of reference to start from.DANG! Now we have to report all phase lines and NAIs??!! Before you know it we'll be reporting BDA and CL I/III/VI status coming out of trail towns! ;)

All kidding aside, not a bad idea for the family's peace of mind, I suppose.

Mags
10-21-2005, 17:07
Cool idea Chomp!

Hey..meant to tell ya...had a lot of fun hooking up with your crew at the Broncos game. If only the rally helmet worked just a bit earlier! :)

You know I am from a small state when the person I meet at the Broncos game (from RI) knew the person I went to Catholic school with...

SGT Rock
10-21-2005, 17:21
DANG! Now we have to report all phase lines and NAIs??!! Before you know it we'll be reporting BDA and CL I/III/VI status coming out of trail towns! ;)

All kidding aside, not a bad idea for the family's peace of mind, I suppose.
I sent an e-mail to the site admin to ask the feasibility of a theater specific map LOL. No response yet.

totempole99
10-21-2005, 18:27
I sent an e-mail to the site admin to ask the feasibility of a theater specific map LOL. No response yet.Ok, so I've been a lurker thus far on here but I can chime in. I followed Traction's TrailJournal this year and I'm not sure if it is he or one of his buddies that can help you. But I'm pretty sure this is what you are talking about http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=89366

I've also seen it on this site, http://hikerguys.com/ , so the program you are looking for already seems to be out there.

eric_plano
10-21-2005, 19:33
I believe those are just images edited in Paint or Photoshop :)

SGT Rock
10-21-2005, 19:40
I was thinking Paintshop too. Maybe we could get a graphic overlay of the AT done for Google Earth and then people could have their own placemarks to pass around LOL. That would be cool.

Red Hat
10-22-2005, 10:18
Wyatt, aka Mouth of the South, did the map you showed, Totem Pole. I updated as I hiked, but most of the folks stopped after a while. Actually, I didn't do the 900+ miles, as the map just asks where are you now, and I skipped from NC to Waynesboro... Long story, don't even ask... Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool! Red Hat

Grampie
10-22-2005, 16:07
Hay, Slogger, doesen't Bad Ass Turtle live in Wyoming with you? :sun

Mouth
10-23-2005, 17:16
You know, I was wondering if it would be possible to do something similar with a trail map of the AT. That way you could track the class of 2006 as they progress up the trail-of course they would have to update their position at towns to make it work. Sgt. Rock, I'm a step ahead of you. I wrote this little script for my hike and then modified it quickly to test with other hikers.

http://wyattmcguire.com/trail/map.php (http://wyattmcguire.com/trail/map.php)

All a hiker has to do to move themselves on the map is post their "miles from springer" and the map does the rest. The original development was done in just over one night with a whole lot of coffee, seeing as how I have some time now, maybe I'll pretty it up a bit and make it available to 2006 hikers.

I also have another little project I'm working on that should be done soon, but we'll keep that secret 'till it's in beta testing.

SGT Rock
10-23-2005, 17:56
Just let us know if you come up with something and want a testing pool. I'm sure we could find some folks to try it.

johnny quest
10-23-2005, 20:46
i signed up to be on this map but i cant see myself there. can anyone else see me? i feel so rejected and alone!

Doctari
10-24-2005, 08:23
I like this. Posted, even put in a picture of me, WooHoo!

Nice to see where "We" live.

Doctari.