PDA

View Full Version : Bear in the Zoo

rickb
10-20-2005, 19:05
Is there still a bear in the zoo through which the AT passes?

Is it right on the Trail?

Anyone know its history-- how old, and how it came to be there?

Not sure why, but thinking about him (her) is starting to bother me.

Perhaps I am just in a bad way becasue I found a dead mouse in my Havaheart trap this AM and am feeling guilty for not checking on it in a more timely manner.

Lone Wolf
10-20-2005, 19:17
Last time I was there, there were 4 or 5 bears there.

TJ aka Teej
10-20-2005, 20:01
Is there still a bear in the zoo through which the AT passes?

Is it right on the Trail?

Anyone know its history-- how old, and how it came to be there?

Not sure why, but thinking about him (her) is starting to bother me.

Perhaps I am just in a bad way becasue I found a dead mouse in my Havaheart trap this AM and am feeling guilty for not checking on it in a more timely manner.
Bear Mountain Zoo ("Trailside Zoo'?) is a rehab setup for injured wild animals that can't be released back to woods. No charge to hike thru for ATers, at least none ten years ago.
I can relate to the havaheart situtation. Ours is set up out back by the stone wall beyond the feeders, because the wood rats give Mrs TJ the willies. I usually trip it at night so nothing has to spend the night exposed, but a few chippers have died in it anyways.

ARambler
10-20-2005, 21:00
About a month ago there were 2 cute cubs in the bear pen. The door to the inside cages was only half open and we thought the mother might be kept inside.

The bears are at the lowest point on the trail, so it is one of the most often photographed parts of the trail.

CynJ
10-20-2005, 21:49
That's cool if its a rehab or sanctuary. :) It would be neat to see!

Moxie00
10-20-2005, 22:36
The Zoo was free to thru hikers as the trail went right through it. I also have a haveaheart trap and I bait it every day as I live in the country and raise crops. When I catch a racoon I take it at least six miles away and release it near a car dealership that screwed me once. Last year I caught over 50 squirels. When i catch one I paint their tails blue so I'll know if they return and usually take them to the edge of town and let them go in a Walmart parking lot. Only once did one run into the store, they often head for the woods at the edge of the parking lot and once in a while I will read in the local paper about a rare blue squirel being seen at Walmart. There is a man I sometimes get paired with to play golf with. From the first tee to the eighteenth hole all he can do is talk about the Bush adminstration and what a great job they are diong. I don't catch more than three or four skunks a year but when I do I release it on his front lawn. Haven't got sprayed yet. House cats and small dogs are released right in my garden as they catch mice and run off squirels. I've caught a few blue jays but no little birds. Moose, deer and bear wont fit inside so they run free. If I ever catch a moose, bear or deer I'll give it to The Bear Mountain Zoo. Right now I would give them the skunks but they are needed elsewhere.