PDA

View Full Version : Little French Press

Dances with Mice
10-20-2005, 20:17
http://www.smartcafe.co.uk/products/hot_cafetiere_travel_cup.asp

It's an insulated cup with a built-in French Press. Works as a standard insulated cup if you waste hot water on some beverage other than coffee. I picked one of these up at the local grocery store, only with a plastic exterior rather than the chrome one shown on the website.

Weighs 6.5 ounces, holds 3 cups when filled to the brim, so it would make about 2.5 cups of coffee.

kyhipo
10-21-2005, 09:41
I use my french press about everyday and love it!I am interested in one for hiking for sure.Sounds like a winner to me thanks for the web sight:) ky

Tabasco
10-21-2005, 10:02
I have one of the double walled lexan cups with the built in french press too. I quit carrying it because I hated carrying the wet coffee grounds to properly dispose of them.

Dances with Mice
10-21-2005, 10:15
I use my french press about everyday and love it!I am interested in one for hiking for sure.Sounds like a winner to me thanks for the web sight:) kyI found it at a Publix food store then went looking for the website. The store had quite a few of them gathering dust near the coffee supplies, and some of the french press coffee mugs with handles. The mugs seemed both heavier and smaller. The travel mugs in the store also had plastic exteriors, the website only show a metal exterior.

Mags
10-21-2005, 13:20
I use this French Press every day at work: http://www.outmore.com/bigskybiscof.html

I don't make coffee on backpacking trips..but I must say this is REALLY easy to use.

Do use it on car camping trips once in a while as well.

Dances with Mice
10-21-2005, 14:39
I use this French Press every day at work: http://www.outmore.com/bigskybiscof.htmlI've got that one too and also use it at work so I can drink my chicory coffee and not the worksite coffee club's Maxwell House. I get lots of comments about the 'radio antenna' sticking out of my cup. The one I referenced is much more compact, it might even fit inside the Big Sky.

TDale
10-21-2005, 20:26
not pimpin, but have you tried Javette? I love the stuff.

http://www.javette.com/

Valmet
10-23-2005, 08:18
Looks interesting, a little expensive though. But not a hassle to use. No press to clean, which is what I use now on the trail. Might have to order some and give it a try. Any shelf life restrictions on the packs?

Mags
10-24-2005, 11:15
I've got that one too and also use it at work so I can drink my chicory coffee and not the worksite coffee club's Maxwell House. I get lots of comments about the 'radio antenna' sticking out of my cup. The one I referenced is much more compact, it might even fit inside the Big Sky.
That could be a plus. The big sky weighs 8oz. Not a problem at my desk. :-)...and it makes 2 cups. Very important for me! Of course for use in the office and in camp are two different things.

Dances with Mice
10-24-2005, 12:41
That could be a plus. The big sky weighs 8oz. Not a problem at my desk. :-)...and it makes 2 cups. Very important for me! Of course for use in the office and in camp are two different things. Since I carry my Big Sky home each weekend to run through the dishwasher, I dropped the Smart Cafe' into it to see if it really would fit. It does, and it's not a tight fit either. It's a bit higher than the Sky by an inch or so, the height of the Cafe's lid. I guess if I had taken a ruler out of the kitchen drawer, I could be providing exact dimensions right now....

For non-fuss coffee, I really like Cafe Bustelo instant. It's unusually good instant coffee. But it still ain't chicory.

TDale
10-24-2005, 14:55
Looks interesting, a little expensive though. But not a hassle to use. No press to clean, which is what I use now on the trail. Might have to order some and give it a try. Any shelf life restrictions on the packs?
No shelf life restrictions. The packets are heavier than normal packaging. Actually takes an effort to tear one open. They'll send you free samples for an e-mail. Tell 'em I sent you.