PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday, My Hiking Mentor Died

shelb
11-12-2014, 01:01
Yesterday, my friend who inspired me to hike the A.T. died after a 14 month battle with cancer. Years ago, she talked me into traveling 12 hours away for a vacation and to hike the area around Mt. Minsi. She was enamored with a book by a through-hiker called "Wolf Woman." Reading that book and our subsequent day-hike on that section of the AT convinced me to move to section hiking, something my friend could not do because of physical limitations.

From now on, each mile I hike will be dedicated to Pat W. - for her encouragement, her dedication, her courage, and - her love!

gsingjane
11-12-2014, 08:48
Oh I am sorry! What a loss for you.

This shows, doesn't it, how much of a positive effect we can have on those around us, during our brief time here. A little bit of Pat will live on in you, and in your hiking adventures. What a marvelous thing, to be remembered for something so positive and hopeful.

Jane

mrcoffeect
11-12-2014, 10:40
Now its your turn to inspire someone.

Demeter
11-12-2014, 10:58
So sorry for your loss. Hopefully her aspirations can be an inspiration to others, like yourself, and you can honor her memory with your hikes!

Cedar1974
11-13-2014, 21:19
I'm sorry you lost someone special to you. All I can say is now she is hiking the best trail ever.

squeezebox
11-13-2014, 23:04
Living well is much more important than how you die. A much greater time span. May she continue to live well in your heart.

Speakeasy TN
11-13-2014, 23:23
Your next Trail Magic will have a little something extra..........

Sorry for your loss

hikehunter
11-14-2014, 01:06
I am sad to hear of your loss. It is good to hear you going forward to honor your friend and mentor.

I hope you have many great adventures in honor of you mentor.

Rain Man
11-14-2014, 11:56
Sorry to hear of your loss. But happy to hear of what you gained from that friendship!

Could you tell us more about the book? I enjoy reading AT books and have never heard of that one. So far, a quick internet search hasn't revealed anything to me. If it's still available, I'd like to purchase a copy.

Rain Man

Rocket Jones
11-14-2014, 12:32
Sorry to hear about your loss. How wonderful though, the time you had with her and the inspiration she passed along to you.