PDA

View Full Version : Garmin - Trailhead Series - Appalachian Trail - Question

Woof Shaven
11-13-2014, 00:59
Does anyone have working experience with Garmin BaseCamp and the Trailhead Series - Appalachian Trail maps?

I have most of my waypoints found and saved to my handheld device. I have every shelter from Springer Mountain to Hot Springs plus a bunch of other waypoints as well.

Now I am building my route(s). I am building a master route of all the waypoints from Springer Mountain to Hot Springs along the way first. Then I will break it down to day trip segment routes from my wake-up shelter to my go-to-sleep shelter that would include all the waypoints along that segment day trip route as well.

I am finding most of my routes are running mostly as the crow flies laser straight lines that are running from waypoint to waypoint. I am finding very few places along my master route where my route is magically snapping to the Appalachian Trail.

I wonder if the map I downloaded may have been a defective download.

I will try to include a picture a picture of that magical snap to the trail effect I was expecting to see 99% of the time. Most of the time my route lines are showing up as laser straight lines from waypoint to waypoint.

Does anyone else have this issue?

lkmi
11-13-2014, 22:43
I am finding most of my routes are running mostly as the crow flies laser straight lines that are running from waypoint to waypoint. I am finding very few places along my master route where my route is magically snapping to the Appalachian Trail.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I painstakingly marked up the route for a few section hikes. That seemed to be the only way to "create" the route.

Then I realized that the AT route is already in the software. So I stopped marking the entire thing, and just market a few specific points (start, finish, where I expected to camp, etc.).
But I don't use my GPS - and these maps to navigate. I have it solely if I decide I want to know exactly where I am - on my (paper) map.

FWIW, I see the same effect w/another set of maps I purchased (of parts of the UK).

Havana
11-14-2014, 00:11
Have you seen Guthook's apps. Very handy. http://www.guthookhikes.com/apps