PDA

View Full Version : How long?

dhagan
11-13-2014, 14:10
Ok, here's my goal. I want to hike the whole length, inside alabama. I plan on a week in the spring to do half(?). I know it will take two section hikes, at least. Here's my questions.
1. If I start from the south, and end on top of Cheaha, how long would that take?
2. If I start at the state line and end at Cheaha, how long would that take?
3. Is it better to Start at Cheaha and go "downhill"?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Matt65
11-13-2014, 20:58
Many variables of course: weather / physical condition etc. If it were me I would plan on around ~15 mi./day. I have completed almost all of these as sections, but not through. One day I would like to. Keep us posted.

Here is a video series I have watched many times. It's two-part (near) through hike of the AL section.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoEn0xjxpzoWmtxsWtqon-8MQKvlzJjAV

gubbool
11-13-2014, 22:23
check the distances. Cheaha is and is not a mid point, helfin is a better mid. most of the shelters above helfin are about ten miles apart, that may set you up for fewer miles per day. there is only one other shelter, Blue at Cheaha. see the map at findingwarren.com/pinhoti i've thru-ed both ways - southbound is slightly easier - the short distance between oakley and dugger shelters is the most difficult section on the trail - NB is more difficult. re-check the road walk on the southern end. expect no water at the rebecca TH or Bull Gap - making that 25 miles dry.

dhagan
11-14-2014, 11:20
check the distances. Cheaha is and is not a mid point, helfin is a better mid. most of the shelters above helfin are about ten miles apart, that may set you up for fewer miles per day. there is only one other shelter, Blue at Cheaha. see the map at findingwarren.com/pinhoti i've thru-ed both ways - southbound is slightly easier - the short distance between oakley and dugger shelters is the most difficult section on the trail - NB is more difficult. re-check the road walk on the southern end. expect no water at the rebecca TH or Bull Gap - making that 25 miles dry.
Is it "cheating" if I dont do the road walk?

swisscross
11-14-2014, 12:35
Is it "cheating" if I dont do the road walk?

I would say no.
It is called the Pinhoti Trail not the Pinhoti road walk.
I hope one day that the land can be secured and a trail cut but until then I cannot consider these sections part of a trail system. It disingenuous for the Pinhoti Trail Alliance to even include them.

Matt65
11-14-2014, 13:17
Not cheating in my opinion... I have no interest in road walking.

gubbool
11-15-2014, 10:48
I'm on the trail now. Started with 6 miles of roadwalk out of Slyacauga to the Rebecca Mnt section TH. So you gotta get to there or you'll forever need to qualify your boast - "I have hiked Alabama's Pinhoti, but-cept for the Rebecca section." What is needed is a community bicycle that thru's could use between Flag Mnt and 'becca. that could magically find itself back at Flag. I am considering getting a throw-away bicycle in Cave Spring to ride to the next foottrail - and again between Dalton and Chattsworth. I did the GA roadwalk in '08 on my way to Maine - wasnt worth the T-shirt :)

Matt65
11-15-2014, 18:22
Enjoy the trail. Must be great out there right now. Post a few pics here if you can.

blisterbob
11-15-2014, 18:56
Pretty serious rumor that property has been purchased for Pinhoti woods trail between Weogufka and SR 21
leaving only 9.8 miles of road walk for the Alabama Section once all the approvals have been made.

marti038
11-17-2014, 11:34
Pretty serious rumor that property has been purchased for Pinhoti woods trail between Weogufka and SR 21
leaving only 9.8 miles of road walk for the Alabama Section once all the approvals have been made.

If true (not that I'm doubting you BB, but you did say rumor), this is awesome news. The road walks may be one of the biggest hindrances to the trail's overall popularity.

Now if we could just get the folks in Georgia to tie up their gaps somehow.

marti038
11-17-2014, 11:36

Blisterbob,

Since you seem to be a good source of Pinhoti info, what sort of obstacles need to be cleared to move the southern terminus to the actual summit of Flag Mtn? The CCC Watchtower seems like such a logical starting point.

blisterbob
11-18-2014, 07:54
There are more questions than answers about Flagg Mtn.
This was addressed in an older thread and will probably come up again.
The Coosa County Conservation Club has the property leased until 2017
and therefore has some control of it's use. When their lease runs out then
there would be others involved in access control;
Number one would likely be the historical folks because of the Civilian Conservation Corps building and tower.
Their concern would be that these structures might suffer damage if easy access was allowed.
(for the same reason that the trail does not go by the CCC picnic shelter on Horn Mtn.)
There is also a live communication tower that would have input.

Just my opinion, FWIW

To get official answers you might check with
AHTS & Forever Wild