PDA

View Full Version : What would Freud have to say?

Old Spice
10-21-2005, 10:07
Okay, I just had my first dream about hiking the trail last night. Anyone else have any interesting or funny AT related dreams? Here is mine:

In my dream I am fording a shallow stream with a fellow hiker named Pican. This is really funny considering the fact that I work at a bakery. We pass a man struggling with what appears to be a 50 lb. pack. He is laboring under the impression that a lighter load would somehow diminish his manhood. As we approach the shelter we are greeted by Maximus from the documentary Trek and Wingfoot. My girlfriend shows up with an offer to take me to a hotel for the night, at which point I wake up.

Lone Wolf
10-21-2005, 10:08
The guy with the 50lb. pack was me fording the Kennebec.

lobster
10-21-2005, 10:22
LW,

Quit aqua blue-blazing the Kennebec!

Footslogger
10-21-2005, 10:23
Freud would ask you about your relationship with your mother ...

'Slogger

orangebug
10-21-2005, 10:50
What was the shape of the bigger load that enhanced the manhood? And did you prefer to sleep with your girlfriend in the hotel or Wingfoot in the shelter?

And why is it that your mother doesn't like you?

D'Artagnan
10-21-2005, 11:05
Dr. Freud would say, "Sometimes a pack is just a pack." :D

bulldog49
10-21-2005, 11:36
Too bad you woke before you got to the hotel with your girlfriend. :D

dperry
10-21-2005, 16:09
And why is it that your mother doesn't like you?From The Addams Family:

Fake Psychiatrist: "You love him, but you resent him. Love-hate, hate-love. Like for Mama, no?"

Gomez: "But I didn't hate my mother! It was an accident!":D

The Old Fhart
10-21-2005, 20:37
D'Artagnan Dr. Freud would say, "Sometimes a pack is just a pack." :D Dr. Carl Rogers would say: "What do you think the dream means?" (you'd have to be into psychology as a doctor or a patient to understand that one) ;)

gsingjane
10-22-2005, 07:56
Same dream, different people or places: I've gone out for an extended section hike on the spur of the moment and have forgotten criitical equipment, such as a sleeping bag, tent or food. I've hiked quite a far distance into the woods, cannot get back before nightfall, and am trying to figure out what to do.

Jane in CT

Just Jeff
10-22-2005, 12:19
Two days ago I had a dream that I was driving to the trailhead and wasn't going to make it before dark, so I pulled off into a closer park to find a place to camp. No cars in the parking lot...I walked a bit up the trail, took a few turns, and found a decent place.

Then I turned around to go get my pack. I couldn't quite figure out the way back, it was getting dark and starting to drizzle, and all I had on was my shorts and t-shirt. Didn't even have a flashlight. Bad news.

Luckily I stumbled upon some campers who knew where the lot was and offered to walk me back. I woke up while I was trying to figure out how to explain what a dumbass I was for leaving my pack.

Thing is...I never hike out like that without gear, especially near dark in a new area.

But I wasn't hiking with my mom or anything...

smokymtnsteve
10-22-2005, 17:34
YAH..the pack ...you be the pack,,,tell me what is happening in your dream from the packs point of view,,

okie...

Old Spice
02-24-2006, 00:46
Ressurection!

SGTdirtman
02-24-2006, 01:11
maybe... just maybe... now stick with me on this... you were the man with the 50 pound pack struggling, a foresight into troubles to come. A battle with relationship issues while out on the trail perhaps. The pack itself being a life burdon trying to "drown" you in the stream. The pack being heavy because your too manly to leave anything behind may be a sign of your strength through your hardship, unwilling to let things fall apart.

many times in dreams when you think you see someone else... its just a way for you to see yourself better.

wow i need to stop drinking

drsukie
02-24-2006, 01:12
Not an AT dream, but before my hike in Grand Staircase-Escalante last May, I dreamed my as-yet unknown group was squeezing through a slot canyon and it turned into a deep hole-type dark, stuffy, no-light tunnel going down deep into the earth, and at the other end, just when I though I could not breath anymore, we came out into a water-slide on the slick-rock, NEKKED, sliding down into a pool of deep, clear warm water in the sun
It WAS a fun trip, but not THAT fun! :jump Sue

neo
02-24-2006, 09:53
He is laboring under the impression that a lighter load would somehow diminish his manhood.

i used to think like that:cool: neo

KirkMcquest
02-24-2006, 11:12
You are clearly suffering from nohikeitus. I recommend one thru-hike for an instant cure.

Burn
02-25-2006, 08:27
had a dream on trail in 04 whatta trip...was into my hike a fair distance and dreamed it was march 1st and i was asleep at home and woke up thinking, hey its march 1st, it's march 1st, i am supposed to be hiking.....i woke up in my hammock and was rather disoriented to actually have a reverse not hiking dream while hiking

MOWGLI
02-25-2006, 08:40
Two days ago I had a dream that I was driving to the trailhead and wasn't going to make it before dark, so I pulled off into a closer park to find a place to camp. No cars in the parking lot...I walked a bit up the trail, took a few turns, and found a decent place.

Then I turned around to go get my pack. I couldn't quite figure out the way back, it was getting dark and starting to drizzle, and all I had on was my shorts and t-shirt. Didn't even have a flashlight. Bad news.

Luckily I stumbled upon some campers who knew where the lot was and offered to walk me back. I woke up while I was trying to figure out how to explain what a dumbass I was for leaving my pack.

Thing is...I never hike out like that without gear, especially near dark in a new area.

But I wasn't hiking with my mom or anything...

Dreams like this are caused by too many nights spent in a hammock. Switch to a tent - quickly - and find your way out of the darkness. ;)

Just Jeff
02-25-2006, 13:17
Haha...right. Assuming I finish my two papers today, tonight I'll be sleeping with my wife in a homemade tarptent. I'll let you know if it cures the dreams. :)

peter_pan
02-25-2006, 21:12
Hike harder, drink more....dreams should subside within 50 miles of your start...if not repeat with vigor.

Pan

orangebug
02-27-2006, 09:46
Not an AT dream, but before my hike in Grand Staircase-Escalante last May, I dreamed my as-yet unknown group was squeezing through a slot canyon and it turned into a deep hole-type dark, stuffy, no-light tunnel going down deep into the earth, and at the other end, just when I though I could not breath anymore, we came out into a water-slide on the slick-rock, NEKKED, sliding down into a pool of deep, clear warm water in the sunSue, Sue, Sue. I _know_ you have _that_ dream figured out!

Moxie00
02-27-2006, 10:10
You will experience many more real life situations than you had in your dream once you thru hike. Some pretty weird things happen between Springer and Kathadin. It's a good thing you woke up before Wingfoot took your girl to the hotel. Whats so special about a 50 pound pack? Nothing wrong with carrying what you really need. The ultra lite thing is just a fad that will pass when hikers realize what they miss by not carrying what they need. After supper in the evening I enjoy reaching into my pack and bringing out my forge and anvil. There is little more relaxing than knocking off a few horseshoes before falling asleep. I then fall asleep to the relaxing sound of the ultra lites slapping black flies and mosquitoes as they try to sleep unprotected under their flimsey tarps.