PDA

View Full Version : MSR WhisperLite Universal: Fuel question.

Cedar1974
11-14-2014, 05:49
We just got a new Gander Mountain here, and I saw one of these in the store. I like that you can use canister fuel or liquid fuel with a separate fuel bottle. I do have one question. I have a portable propane grill, and I was wondering if the MSR can use the mini propane bottles as fuel, or does it burn too hot?

OCDave
11-14-2014, 09:38
No, that stove is not a propane burner. It is a pressure limitation rather than a temperature limitation.

OCDave
11-14-2014, 09:43
No, that stove is not a propane burner. It is a pressure limitation rather than a temperature limitation.

Actually, I don't know if pressure is a limitation. Perhaps MSR just figured that someone buying this stove would be less likely to carry the weight of the propane bottles.

Cedar1974
11-14-2014, 11:14
Actually, I don't know if pressure is a limitation. Perhaps MSR just figured that someone buying this stove would be less likely to carry the weight of the propane bottles.

Well my grill uses these small propane tanks. they are about the size of a 2 liter bottle and not all that heavy. Maybe it is because the stove doesn't have a proper regulator on it. The propane might start going out of control.

squeezebox
11-16-2014, 01:19
1) different threads 2) different gas 3) too heavy to carry
3 strikes you're out!

OCDave
11-16-2014, 18:21
If you are OK with the weight, propane burners are a small fraction of the cost of the MSR Universal stove. You can likely find a propane burner in the same aisle as the MSR for ~ $20.

I only use my MSR Universal if I am with a group or if it is cold and I resort to white gas. My go to stove for one or two hikers is the MSR MicroRocket. Also available at a fraction of the cost of the MRS Universal.

rafe
11-16-2014, 20:12
We just got a new Gander Mountain here, and I saw one of these in the store. I like that you can use canister fuel or liquid fuel with a separate fuel bottle. I do have one question. I have a portable propane grill, and I was wondering if the MSR can use the mini propane bottles as fuel, or does it burn too hot?

MSR Whisperlite is designed to run on "white gas" -- usually sold in 1 gallon cans at places that sell outdoor sporting goods. The fuel canisters come in various sizes but must have a thread that matches the stove's pump unit. Whisperlites were popular on the AT 25 years ago but not so much nowadays. They're good for small groups and for winter hiking. They put out a lot of BTUs but they're much heavier, overall, than canister stoves.

OCDave
11-16-2014, 20:58
MSR Whisperlite is designed to run on "white gas" -- ....

The Whisperlite Universal stove will also burn Kerosene, Gasoline or Canister fuel.

rafe
11-16-2014, 21:03
The Whisperlite Universal stove will also burn Kerosene, Gasoline or Canister fuel.

Understood.

squeezebox
11-16-2014, 21:05
Check out the Primus Ti.

Kevin108
11-16-2014, 22:49
Is there a pre-heat process when using kerosene?

rafe
11-16-2014, 23:13
The Whisperlites and all similar stoves involve a priming step, yes. That's one way in which they differ from canister stoves.

Cedar1974
11-26-2014, 08:26
Check out the Primus Ti.

I did and the MSR is $30 cheaper