PDA

View Full Version : battered

ericmack
11-14-2014, 07:09
OK. Two replaced hips (twice each), one replaced shoulder (twice with revision being reverse), one fused back from T-10 to S-1 with hardware, two thumbs totally shot, two ankles needing fused, and a cervical spine that presses against the spinal cord- all from being active duty Army for 24 years. My wife and I want to thru-hike the AT in 2016 with no more than 30 pounds on what is left of my back. I very much wish to do this and am will to take the inevitable degrading of the artificial and natural joints. The question to all you experienced hikers (I day hike- up to 12 miles in the Smokey Mountains- using pretty potent pain meds) is this....

Is it even possible- given determination and pain meds and a slower pace- for this battered 60 year old to do this or am I just going to waste time/money? Just your non-attribution opinion if it is even possible

Thanks for your time.
Eric

illabelle
11-14-2014, 07:43
No one can determine your limits but you. Given your description, it does sound like a thru-hike may be a bit too ambitious, especially if you're using "potent pain meds" for a day hike. Maybe you could do some section hiking and see how your body holds up.
Best of luck to you.

PilotB
11-14-2014, 08:34
Maybe section hike a month at a time during mild weather months to reduce your load, plan ahead and schedule days to give yourself a break and finish the trail over a couple years ..... Complete it at 62

soulrebel
11-14-2014, 09:10
Both of you guys will need to get in very good shape. People like to think the trail is a good place to "get active," but most will overdo it and injure themselves. In addition to a full day on your feet, the trail doesn't provide the same rest and nutrition you can find at home, usually landing the hiker in various motels/hostels along the trail without much desire to keep hiking. So, if you enjoy walking, get some shakedown overnight hikes with a comfortable sleeping pad/pillow, and sleeping bag. Buildup to exercising a lil more everyday, because the trail never seems to quit. PS thru-hiking is overrated so don't put all your eggs in that basket..."being outdoors" is a healthier mindset. GL

Don H
11-14-2014, 09:11
I don't know if you can complete a thru but you won't know unless you try. If you don't try it sounds like you might regret it.

It's not a waste of time and money if you only do part of the trail. Enjoy the time hiking and go as far as you can go.

I'm routing for you either way and thanks for your service!

Keep us posted.

perrymk
11-14-2014, 09:25
If you were to try a thru hike I would suggest a support vehicle to make things easier. Maybe take you to a motel every night or two, or at least re-supply/slackpack daily (or as ften as possible) to lighten the load. I have no particular disability and that's how I'd do it if I could. I believe there have been one or two books written by people who did the AT in this fashion.

freightliner
11-14-2014, 09:45
So the big question is what would you be doing if you didn't go on a thru hike. Maybe what sit around and watch NCIS all day or wheel of fortune. It's never a waste of time or money to go out in the woods and walk. You can easily thru hike the trail just doing 10 miles a day all you got to do is flip flop in Harpers. One of the reasons why more southbound complete the trail is because a lot of them take upwards of eight months to do it. I wouldn't worry about it you have a better chance of completing then most people

Coffee
11-14-2014, 09:53
I think that it makes sense to do several shorter thru hikes before considering a long trail. That has been my approach, both to ensure that I am physically capable and that I will actually like hiking for months at a time. I feel physically capable and at the end of my last hike (Colorado Trail), I felt like doing a yo-yo or going to California to hike the JMT - although I couldn't make that happen - so, that's why I feel like I have a shot at a PCT thru hike next year. I wouldn't have any confidence if I hadn't done a month long hike already.

OCDave
11-14-2014, 10:03
... am I just going to waste time/money? ...

Given that it is your own time and money, spend it however it will bring you the most joy. If you were unable to complete a thru-hike, would you consider the time and money spent on the attempt to be wasted?

Slo-go'en
11-14-2014, 10:54
Realistically, I doubt you'd get far. Before you commit to a thru hike, definitely do some much shorter trips. Start with an easy overnight-er and if that goes well, try a longer trip with a couple of nights on the trail.

But even before you do that, get a typical hiker sleeping pad (an air mattress type like a neo-air would probably be best for you) and see if you can sleep on it on the floor in your house. If you can't get a comfortable nights rest on that, your already in trouble.

squeezebox
11-14-2014, 11:20
This is a question for the pros, ask your surgeons. Anything you want to do is worth trying. I like the above comment about a support vehicle. Bring a stretcher in case you have to be carried out. And yes start small, day hikes, weekends, week long hikes. Find out your capacities.
Certainly a physically therapist/sports trainer. I wish you the best.

ericmack
11-14-2014, 12:48
Thanks to all the suggestions. I am very active- work out at gym for an hour a day on cardio and we hike in mountains about twice a month. But your assessments are very helpful and already have given me some ideas. We are planning - if I am capable- of hiking a "mock" 4-5 day trail hike in Smokey Mountains in the spring. But the idea of just trying a day or so is a good one.

Again- thanks to all for your kind replies.
Eric

peakbagger
11-14-2014, 14:06
If you have a partner and car , slackpacking and keyswapping is going to reduce the wear and tear substantially

11-14-2014, 14:07
Just go for it, I would suggest you bring a car or truck along to hop up along the trail. The car gives you many options. I would also suggest you not hike with pain meds as you can do severe damage to other areas without knowing it is happening as the pain is being masked. After a day in the field, take them but not while hiking. Do not get in a hurry, shelter to shelter is good. You cannot undo once you overdo it, so just do not shoot for over 10 miles a day, period. By all means do not carry a pack over 20-25 lbs. Keep it short and light and keep going. Do not worry about going south to north just pick the best route whatever direction. Enjoy the time in the forest and take your time.

archie
11-14-2014, 16:53
I say go for it. Use common sense, but give it a shot.

I am also fairly busted up and have found hiking to be therapeutic. Lightweight is the key for me. Go as light as possible and hike as far as you can.

Enjoy!

SawnieRobertson
11-14-2014, 21:25
Consider hammocking for the sake of your battered body.

MuddyWaters
11-14-2014, 22:15
I'm sure you can do it.
If you want to bad enough.
A blind man did it. Small children have done it.

Have you considered Warren Doyle's group? The basically slackpack the trail. Google warren Doyle Appalachian trail expedition 2015 to see what its about.

I wouldn't carry more than 25 lb at any time and I don't have your issues. Hiking is always more pleasant with less weight carried.

oldwetherman
11-14-2014, 22:22
Sounds like you jumped out of too many perfectly good airplanes!
Lots of good advice already given. I have a titanium hip....compliments of Uncle Sugar and the Army. I attempted a thru in 2013 at the age of 62. Made it to Pennsylvania and had to quit due to a knee
injury. It's replaced and I'm planning PA.to Maine this year. Give it a go. Unlike the Army you can stop hiking and go home anytime you want to.

The Solemates
11-14-2014, 22:26
OK. Two replaced hips (twice each), one replaced shoulder (twice with revision being reverse), one fused back from T-10 to S-1 with hardware, two thumbs totally shot, two ankles needing fused, and a cervical spine that presses against the spinal cord- all from being active duty Army for 24 years. My wife and I want to thru-hike the AT in 2016 with no more than 30 pounds on what is left of my back. I very much wish to do this and am will to take the inevitable degrading of the artificial and natural joints. The question to all you experienced hikers (I day hike- up to 12 miles in the Smokey Mountains- using pretty potent pain meds) is this....

Is it even possible- given determination and pain meds and a slower pace- for this battered 60 year old to do this or am I just going to waste time/money? Just your non-attribution opinion if it is even possible

Thanks for your time.
Eric

First of all, thank you for your service! What did you do if you don't mind me asking?

The only way to know if you can hike long distances in the mountains is to hike long distances in the mountains. As others have said, it won't be a waste whether you make it 20 miles or 200 miles or 2000. Prepare the best you can, take your time, and don't be scared to to periodically postpone your hike if needed. 1 month here, 1 month there, and you'll be done in no time....and wishing it hadn't ended.

jdc5294
11-15-2014, 20:32
On my 2012 thru I ran into a couple we called the Kiwis, they were a husband and wife from New Zealand. They were both in their 80s and on a good day doing roughly 12 miles.

PD230SOI
11-16-2014, 07:51
Eric, I too am battered. Long list including a parachute malfunction.

my challenge is not while moving on any particular day it's the cumulative impact of poor sleep. With neck and back pain I rarely sleep well even in my bed at home. This leads at times to days where I am functioning at a very sub par level leading to the potential of more injuries.

I would strongly urge section hiking so you can keep a close eye on your health and keep the self imposed drive to complete the hike in check.

enjoy retirement!

ericmack
11-16-2014, 08:40
I once again thank everyone for their kind replies. Section hikes- car support- and other ways are things I did not think about (typical Army- bull thru anything straight ahead). All of you have given me more hope than I expected. Once neurosurgeon examines and gives opinion- assuming north/south head nod- we will begin planning for 2016.
I can only give me appreciation for your time and consideration in your replies.
VR
Eric

fastfoxengineering
11-16-2014, 08:48
If you have the financial means, I would highly suggest purchasing the latest/greatest lightest equipment you can afford to lighten your load. Every pound extra is going to really substantiate the wear and tear on you. Going ultralight is a long learning experience but there are easy ways to really lighten the load without the know-how. Not trying to endorse anything here but a cuben fiber pack, a cuben fiber tent, and a nice down bag will really help you out. Nowadays its easy to get a 10-12 base weight without sleeping under a tarp. Don't skimp out on a nice comfy sleeping pad and get yourself a sitpad. In your case, it's all about how good your rest is at the end of the day.

Furthermore, maybe try to get an early start on the AT. Giving yourself an extra month will mean less miles per day in the long run. All though it does mean heavier winter gear. Just something to consider.

My point. If you do go for a thru, which there's no reason not to try, lightening your pack is going to be crucial to your success. And starting early will give you the ability to take time off if need be.

Thank you for your service.

Havana
11-16-2014, 09:18
+1 to what fastfox says. As I've lightened my pack I've enjoyed walking on my bad knee a whole lot more (2 surgeries and heading for a replacement). Buy light equipment, be disciplined about what goes in that pack, and practice a few times to sort out what you do and don't need. You only get one shot at this life, make it count. See you on the trail.

Sailor (The other one)
11-16-2014, 10:30
I'm a retired massage therapist and personal trainer. I worked with lots of injured/disabled/worn out people in a chiropractor's office.
Good training before your hike is critical. If you had physical therapy after your surgeries, those are the exercises to start with and keep. The good stuff from exercise comes when you are recovering from the exercise. That's when your body builds and improves to better handle the next bout of exercise. So rest, along with great nutrition, are key. Do not exercise daily. Get at least 24 hours rest between workouts for each body part and between aerobic workouts.
Stretch. Before and after each workout and on rest days.
Massage the parts you worked out. The increase in blood flow speeds recovery. It also speeds lymph drainage which removes wastes dumped by your cells into the interstitial spaces. It also lessens pain. You'll feel better and improve faster.
The warning above about meds masking pain and possibly encouraging more injury is correct. Better to exercise up to the point of increased pain, note that amount of exercise and back off from it the next workout. Let your progress be slow, at your body's pace. Discuss minimal effective pain meds with your doctor.
Eat the healthiest diet you can afford and plan to do the same on your thru. If you do this and take your hike slow, with plenty of rest, you may actually end up healthier at the end of your hike than more beaten up. Lose fat if you've got any before you go.
Someone here on WB recommends Start Slow and Slow Down. My wife and I plan on doing or thru starting as early as we can and going southbound to avoid the Katahdin deadline. We also plan many in-the-woods zeros. Why rush? It's the hike of a lifetime.
I hope you have a great hike.

ericmack
11-24-2014, 08:02
First of all- thanks to all for their kind remarks. Second- after neurosurgeon gives his take- assuming I won't cripple myself (which I doubt)- this hike will happen. Train-up with local hikes and weighted pack until can hump about 30 pounds for 10 miles. Then overnights- first one then up to five. Gym workouts- buying lightweight equipment little by little- and learning off the people here. That is about all the prep I can do. Figure a year...so 2016 is target...maybe 2015 if lucky. I am sure this name has been used by many before me- but somehow "battered" seems to fit. Army folks used to call me "tin man"- but that was then and this is now! So until someone on the trail names me something different-
Battered

Damn Yankee
11-24-2014, 08:16
You can get all the opinions in the world here but, the only thing that matters is your own determination and your tolerance to pain and discomfort. I say go for it and if you don't complete it, finish it the following year.

squeezebox
11-24-2014, 11:28
I suggest you change your name to " Ti Man "

ericmack
11-24-2014, 11:49
I suggest you change your name to " Ti Man "
Interesting name- thanks for suggesting it :)

rocketsocks
11-24-2014, 14:14
"Junk yard"
have a great hike.

Bronk
11-24-2014, 14:49
Go on a three day backpacking trip. Try to do 10 miles a day. Can you do it? All a thruhike is is a bunch of weekend trips done back to back. You'll be crossing a town every couple days for much of the trip.

SawnieRobertson
11-24-2014, 16:02
I appreciate your remarks, Sailor. And I too will follow the instructions that you gave. Physical Therapy is a wonderful profession which keeps us mobile. Thanks.

Traffic Jam
11-24-2014, 16:36
ericmack, do you know about the greenway near Melton Lake? It's a great place to walk. You can park at the rowing club or Haw Ridge...the Haw Ridge side is hillier.

rafe
11-24-2014, 16:39
Start small. A thru-hike on the AT is the Olympics of long-distance hiking. I'm always amazed when I meet folks who announce that they want to do a thru hike and yet have never spent a night in the woods. Not saying some of those folks don't make it -- amazingly, some do! Prior experience isn't 100% necessary but it sure doesn't hurt, and it will give you an idea of whether this is something you really want to do or not. A good percentage of thru-hikes fail not because of physical reasons, but because the trail just didn't meet their expectations of what it was all about.

As for doing it with certain physical handicaps, only you (and you doctors) know for sure, and you won't know for sure till you try it. I had a big hunk of stainless steel in my leg, didn't keep me from walking 1/3 of the trail -- but I was certainly subject to "erroneous expectations" and it cost me.

ericmack
11-25-2014, 06:49
"Junk yard"
have a great hike.

This is the one!

ericmack
11-25-2014, 06:51
Traffic- hiked Haw Ridge couple times- full of trails and hills:) Rafe- sorry to hear about the leg- 1/3 is frankly amazing- well done. Damn Yankee- you are right. All of the comments are right on the money and I must admit- "junk yard" made me laugh for a long time. Great name!