PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to do a section before attempting a thru-hike.

HogFan
11-14-2014, 11:58
Hey everyone, I've been here lurking around for some time. I've read tons of great info here, but having trouble finding a sub-forum regarding sections. If I've overlooked it, I apologize.

Anyway, I turn 41 in January and have long thought of hiking the AT. My goal is to do it before I'm 50. That gives me plenty of time to save up some money, get my gear lined out and that stuff. Now....what I'm thinking is, doing a few sections here and there before committing to a full on attempt at a thru-hike. To me, it seems sensible. But where I'm stuck is, mileage of sections.

I've found a pretty good basic map that shows towns near the AT. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/AppTrailMap.svg/2000px-AppTrailMap.svg.png

I was thinking of Springer Mtn to maybe Clingman's Dome (if my boss lets me take the time off). Can anyone give me an idea on mileage for this?

Another section that appeals to me is the Hot Springs NC to Damascus, VA area.

I'm thinking somewhere between 80-110 miles would be about right.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!

ratfaceraines
11-14-2014, 12:50
facebook has a section hikers' forum

Berserker
11-14-2014, 13:06
I've been section hiking the AT for years, and access to the vast majority of the trail is pretty easy. There's lots of road crossings, and towns either on or near the trail. So the best thing would be to start with buying something like the Companion or the data book (or whatever that other one is called). These documents layout the entire trail, and are the best thing for planning sections. The next thing to do is to figure out how you are going to travel. Are you going to drive and park your car at the end getting a shuttle to the start, or do you plan to use other means of travel?

Once you have a section planned out and your means of travel, then you can come back on here and just search for info. With this information in hand you can also ask more pointed questions.

As for the section you proposed permits are required to stay in the shelters in GSMNP (Great Smoky Mountains NP) so you'd need to look into that to see if that's required (I don't know the latest regulations in the park). Also, if you plan to park at the end the parking at Newfound Gap is sketchy from what I've read (been many break-ins).

Studlintsean
11-14-2014, 13:12
Also check out ATdist.com. The site works well in addition to a trail guide since it does not have as great of detail.

TomN
11-14-2014, 13:13
Two good spots to leave your car for a section are the NOC or Standing Bear Farm. I did Springer to NOC one spring and NOC to Standing Bear the next. Each can be done in around 2 weeks. Get an AWOL Guide, great for planning a section hike. http://www.theatguide.com/

illabelle
11-14-2014, 15:33
Absolutely get AWOL's AT Guide. It has the detailed info you need (water sources, shelters, elevation changes, etc) to plan a hike that fits your abilities and goals.
We've completed about 950 miles of the AT in section hikes: several weeklong sections, and a bunch of 2-3 day weekends. When I plan a section, I'm usually adding onto an already completed section, so one endpoint is determined. One of the first places I go is www.atdist.com to see what mileage is compatible with the time available. Then I go to the AT Guide and look at the details.
To find a shuttle, go to the parking/shuttle link at this site, http://appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking (tons of basic info at this website!) Call or email somebody, and see what their price and availability is. Load your pack and hit the trail! :)

FatMan
11-14-2014, 15:49
First...as others have said...get a guidebook. Second, for every hiker who finds most sections to be pretty easy there are four who say the trail kicks their azz. Since you are form Arkansas with no sections nearly I would suggest starting at Springer and doing your sections in legs north. That way, when you decide to hike the whole trail you can either skip what you have already done or you will be familiar with the terrain early on and possibly learn from your mistakes. For most thru hikers they find the early hiking to be very difficult because they simply don't know what to expect. By having the first couple of hundred miles under your belt you will be a like a pro compared to all the others. Best of luck and enjoy your hiking.

RED-DOG
11-14-2014, 17:39
Get a AT companion or an AWOLL guide all the info you need is right their.

bigcranky
11-14-2014, 19:19
Springer to Clingman's is just over 200 miles, if I recall correctly. Figure on close to 3 weeks unless you're pretty fast right out of the gate.

MuddyWaters
11-14-2014, 22:26
If you haven't hiked the OHT yet, by all means do it, its right outside your door. Great fall and winter hiking.

HogFan
11-14-2014, 22:42
Absolutely get AWOL's AT Guide. It has the detailed info you need (water sources, shelters, elevation changes, etc) to plan a hike that fits your abilities and goals.
We've completed about 950 miles of the AT in section hikes: several weeklong sections, and a bunch of 2-3 day weekends. When I plan a section, I'm usually adding onto an already completed section, so one endpoint is determined. One of the first places I go is www.atdist.com (http://www.atdist.com) to see what mileage is compatible with the time available. Then I go to the AT Guide and look at the details.
To find a shuttle, go to the parking/shuttle link at this site, http://appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking (tons of basic info at this website!) Call or email somebody, and see what their price and availability is. Load your pack and hit the trail! :)

Ordered AWOL's AT guide today!
Thanks!

HogFan
11-14-2014, 22:44
If you haven't hiked the OHT yet, by all means do it, its right outside your door. Great fall and winter hiking.

I've hiked quite a bit of it. And its beautiful!
I just can't get the AT out of my head.

MuddyWaters
11-14-2014, 23:01
I've hiked quite a bit of it. And its beautiful!
I just can't get the AT out of my head.

AT isn't too much different. Steeper climbs, longer climbs, 100x more people, and a town/resupply every 40 miles.

Get guidebook and start walking north. Logistically, the AT is a dream compared to more remote trails. Its ease is what makes it so popular. No shortage of shuttle services between springer to Damascus. Stop whenever you want.

takethisbread
11-15-2014, 10:37
If I had to do a section of AT it would definitely be Hanover NH to Gorham NH. That's about 10 days maybe a bit longer, but it's the best stretch and easier to shuttle back and forth to. U get great trail towns (Hanover, Glencliff, Gorham) u get the best trail sections, Franconia ridge, the Presidentials, The AMC huts to stop in for Lunch, or if you are rich, you can stay in. (I wouldn't). And some pretty tough hiking that will test your mettle.

Bronk
11-15-2014, 14:01
Get the AT Databook. It lists elevations and mileage between roads, campsites, shelters, water sources and other points of interest. It also lists what services are available at each road crossing: ie, restaurants, grocery stores, motels, etc.