PDA

View Full Version : Climbing pack vs Backpacking???

thecyclops
11-14-2014, 16:27
Could someone enlighten me on the big differences between a mountaineering/climbing pack VS a traditional internal frame pack?(Sorry for the ignorance) Or are there any major differences? The reason I ask is that I was able to acquire a semi expensive,new,Lowe Alpine 42+10 alpine type pack,but am not a climber in anyway LOL. Im kinda torn between selling it,and keeping it...
I see the straps for skis/snowboard and few extra ice axe loops also.Besides the extra (and unnecessary) weight/straps for the skis that Ill never use,is there a reason I should steer clear of a pack like this for an winter overnight pack?

HooKooDooKu
11-14-2014, 17:35
For back-packing, what does it matter what style of pack you have so long as it fits comfortably and is designed to handle the weight you expect to carry.

Otherwise, I obtained the following information from here (http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Mountaineering-Backpack-Reviews/buying-advice):

Alpine climbing packs ... are intended for use both hiking (on approach) and while climbing technical terrain... Because of this they tend to be simpler in design, lower profile, and offer the features needed to attach alpine climbing specific gear...

RED-DOG
11-14-2014, 17:35
For me i prefer a Technical pack over a regular back packing pack due to the fact that some times i use those extra straps to hang stuff from such as wet clothing/ wet gear, climbing rope, but in my oppinion if you like the pack but not all the extras straps i would suggest you trimm the extra straps that you don't want off and keep the pack, that lowe alpine is a awesome pack.
all the Technical packs i own are internal frame packs, i don't think i own a external frame pack except the ones my dad used.
the ONLY difference is all those extra straps other than that their is no difference.

lonehiker
11-14-2014, 17:39
Cut the straps and loops off and voila....

colorado_rob
11-14-2014, 17:51
We do a lot of climbing, all kinds, and I once bought a "climbing pack", it had thicker fabric, was narrow and lots of loops/straps/attachments for ice tools, ice axes, ropes, shovels, etc. Used it on a couple climbs then realized I was carrying extra weight for basically no real gain. The narrowness helps in certain situations, but not important enough to justify the overall extra weight. so yeah, just cut off all the extra straps/loops/etc and you probably have a decent pack, just probably still a tad heavier than you really need.

Dogwood
11-14-2014, 18:39
For what you're doing, shorter trips, not being anal about either activity, I see no reason why you can't use the Lowe Alpine backpack you have. There are backpacks available that attempt to bridge the gap being effective in both activities though without getting overly specialized in their use, design, and construction. CilogGear, Hyperlight Mountain Gear, Black Diamond, Lowe, Arc Teryx, are some that come to mind.

Dogwood
11-14-2014, 18:47
BTW, I'm currently trying to bridge the gap by purchasing one do it all kayak w/ certain attributes though, namely portability(foldable, inflatable, section kayaks are some that I've been looking at), rather than purchasing 4 different specialized kayaks. As a novice paddler, I'll get more dialed in into specialized kaks when I better understand my typical trips. This is to be added to a pack raft set -up. Ok got to get back to work to pay for all these play toys. :)

thecyclops
11-15-2014, 16:46
Sw-eeet pack.At least compared to what I usually own,LOL

Another Kevin
11-15-2014, 20:26
A technical pack also tends to be taller and narrower than a conventional backpacking pack of the same volume, because otherwise lashed-on gear gets unwieldy.