PDA

View Full Version : Birkhead Mountains Wilderness?

TNhiker
11-14-2014, 17:04
howdy...

has anyone done any backpacking in the Birkhead mountains wilderness in NC?

and can suggest a route or two?

maybe ten or so miles...

thanks....

bobgessner57
11-17-2014, 00:13
There is a loop with a smaller loop allowing for a figure eight. The basic loop is about 7.2 miles if accessed from the Robbins Branch trailhead. This trailhead is frequently used as a hunter camp and can be pretty busy. The loop can also be accessed from the Thornburg trailhead via a 1.8 mile spur trail.

By adding the Camp Three trail to the basic loop you can add 2.25 miles of camp three and .5 of the Birkhead Mtn. Trail. The Camp 3 trail is somewhat poorly marked with blazes of different colors. You have to use your smarts and pay attention to stay on it. Camp 3 is a nice small site with an old gold mine pit for interest.

There are plenty of places to camp in addition to the listed sites and water is plentiful. Camp 5 is a dry site. The miles come easy and I wish there were more there because it is a nice spot, especially in spring. This area was once connected to another set of trails on USFS land by Dutchmans Creek but the connection was closed by the landowner.

Some of the trail is old road, some graded singletrack, and some sketchy singletrack but all easy walking. The forest is mixed hardwood, some pine forest and a few glades that are getting pretty grown up with scrub. Several small streams, rocky outcrops in places, and plenty of deer, an occasional bear, turkey, etc. Spring and summer can feature engine noise from a nearby racetrack but other than that it is a very pleasant spot halfway between Charlotte and Raleigh.

The book Uwharrie Lakes Region Trail Guide published by Earthbound Sports, Inc of Chapel Hill, NC has descriptions and detailed info on the Birkheads and other Uwharrie trails. PM me if you want more info.

Tennessee Viking
11-17-2014, 12:52
I have walked a bit of the Birkhead Trail and Uwharrie Trail.

The Uwharrie Trail is a bit more maintained and blazed fairly well. Its a bit rocky and has some good elevation change on the northern end.

Birkhead is less maintained but improving. Last I walked it, the trailhead near Asheboro was fairly revamped and developed. However, blazing was somewhat lacking and sporadic after entering the wilderness. Once you reach the top of Coolers Knob, it can be hard to follow as side trails split off that look like the main trail. Ex. Camp Three Trail leads straight off of Cooler on an old roadbed then turns down to the valley floor with creek crossings; while the main trail forks to the right but is less visible. Its easy to get turned around.

The Uwharrie Trail Guide by D. Childrey was just updated this year. And is the best source.

There is a long connecting route via roads for both trails.
http://ui.uncc.edu/story/uwharrie-trail-hike-nc