PDA

View Full Version : wind jacket & pants

squeezebox
11-15-2014, 01:02
I see the sense of having wind clothes that are not rain clothes, less sweaty etc. I'm already carrying more than I would like, and way past spent more than I would like. I'ld like to stay away from the hiking stores/ catalogs, and maybe $80 a piece for wind jacket & pants. So what are my choices?
1) thrift store: find a wind breaker, wind pants would be harder to find there, but a very light, cheap running suit might be possible.
2) Xmart: same thing cheap running suit or similar.
3) Cheap coated nylon rain suit and wash the coating off.
4) make my own. drawstring pants easy enough. Dry Ducks might be enough for a pattern. I can sew. Where to find the right material?
Your experience / opinion?

freightliner
11-15-2014, 02:55
Hey if you want to go really cheap and of course you don't mind looking a little funny get a Tyvek painters suit from Home Depot works perfect as a wind breaker.

jimmyjam
11-15-2014, 09:57
squeezebox,

You can get a good wind shirt and wind pants kits from thru-hiker:http://thru-hiker.com/kits/
see the Liberty Ridge Kit. I have made them both with the Momentum material and recently made them again with the Pertex Endurance which is slightly heavier but it is a waterproof ( to a point) breathable material

MuddyWaters
11-15-2014, 10:00
II will use windshirt for a little bit of warmth. Its just about right to put on in cool morning and start hiking. You probably won't find anything as light in a thrift store. My windpants are 2.3 oz, my windshirt is 1.9. They both fit together in space size of a coke can. People make their own that's even lighter, but montbell pants and tachyon anorak together are about $130. Not horrible in gear world, but actually pricey for a few scraps of almost see thru fabric.

Slo-go'en
11-15-2014, 11:36
I've never found a need for a wind shell different then my rain jacket. I don't use rain/wind pants at all, with the exception of being above tree line, in the Whites, in the winter.

Just Bill
11-15-2014, 14:00
squeezebox,

You can get a good wind shirt and wind pants kits from thru-hiker:http://thru-hiker.com/kits/
see the Liberty Ridge Kit. I have made them both with the Momentum material and recently made them again with the Pertex Endurance which is slightly heavier but it is a waterproof ( to a point) breathable material

And this leads to the awaited update regarding said fabric... :)

jimmyjam
11-15-2014, 16:22
And this leads to the awaited update regarding said fabric... :)

Oops forgot to post it here. The Pertex Endurance is awesome. I went out a couple of weekends ago in the SNP when we had those winds of 30 mph with guts higher and rain/sleet/snow/freezing rain. There is a little write up about it in my postholer.com journal- Appalachian Trail 2015. I had no water come thru ( I sealed the seams with seam sealer) and I thought it breathed very well. As with any wind breaker or rain gear you need to pace yourself so as not to overheat. I liked it enough to order some more to re-make my wind pants out of it.:)

squeezebox
11-15-2014, 23:40
The Tyvek painter's suit for $5 sounds good. Buy 2, cut one off at the waist turn into pants, elastic waist, elastic ankles, 12" ankle zippers, maybe zippered cargo pocket. The other turn into a jacket, elastic wrists & bottom hem, buy a cheap thrift store jacket take the zipper from it. Wt of both about 3-4 oz.
Does anyone know whether or not Tyvek will take dye, a color other than dingy white would be better.

rtfi
11-16-2014, 09:41
http://www.rei.com/product/867139/sierra-designs-microlight-pants-mens-2012-closeout I have used pants like this for years mostly with long underwear underneath around the shelter in the evening. They stuff into a small bag. I have a matching top with a hood too. The description is accurate that they really are not for use as rain gear, but are great wind breakers. I think they are well worth the cost.

rtfi
11-16-2014, 10:15
Looks like they are about $59 on Amazon including free shipping. This likely doesn't meet your low cost solution, but they are durable and will last you a good long time.

squeezebox
11-17-2014, 00:15
The blurb says they are not windproof. Your opinion please. Any thing about the wt.?