PDA

View Full Version : Campsite forum

SGT Rock
01-16-2003, 21:06
Last week the idea was put forth to have a forum so y'all could list those things often overlooked in guides like the Companion or the Thru-Hikers Guide: campsites.

Often there are cool places that make good campsites but aren't the dirt packed, tash filled sites mentioned in some guides. Cool spots that have everything you need except mice and crowds.

Tonight I was asked by a member to fire it up, so here it is. Go for it y'all!

Waterbuffalo
01-16-2003, 21:09
Thanks Rock! I guess my email worked.

SGT Rock
01-16-2003, 21:17
LOL, well I was trying to protect you from public criticizm.

Waterbuffalo
01-16-2003, 21:21
oh well Let me at'em!

LOL

veteran
01-20-2003, 23:30
Anybody have any sugestions for stealth
camping in the White Mountains?

Peaks
01-21-2003, 09:52
Originally posted by veteran
Anybody have any sugestions for stealth
camping in the White Mountains?

I think it has been posted elsewhere, but there are plenty of places to stealth camp in the White Mountains. Kinsman Pond is the first shelter with a fee. I haven't tramped around there enough to know where the sites are nearby.

I'd think that as you get down towards Lonesome Lake, there should be stealth sites off the trails on the other side of the pond from the hut.

There should be sites in Franconia Notch.

Once past Liberty Springs tentsite, there are some sites up on top of the ridge before it goes above tree line.

The hut crew at Galehead should tell you where the tent site is that was used during the buiding of the hut.

There is some overflow sites near Guyot shelter.

There are stealth sites near Zealand Falls, and along the trail going past Ethan Pond and into Crawford Notch.

There are probably sites along the ridge going into Mizpah and Naumen tentsites. After that, you get above treeline.

I'm told that there is a stealth site just down the Ammonoosic Ravine Trail from Lakes. Other than that, not too much along the exposed Presidential Ridge until after Madison.

At Madison, you can go down Valley Way to a USFS tentsite.

There are stealth sites in Pinkham Notch. Just look for them.

There are stealth sites in Carter Notch near the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail.

I'm sure other hikers know of more.

Tin Man
09-02-2003, 22:43
Anyone know where I can find a stealth campsite between North Adams and Congdon Shelter in VT?

Peaks
09-03-2003, 07:20
Originally posted by Bimmer
Anyone know where I can find a stealth campsite between North Adams and Congdon Shelter in VT?

I'm sure if you look for them, you can find them. Also, there is the Sherman Brook campsite and the Seth Warner shelter and campsite between the two places you mention.

Tin Man
09-03-2003, 20:06
Peaks,

Thanks! I have the maps and guide, but my schedule may be better served if I could camp between Seth Warner and Congdon. I was thinking Consultation Peak or Sucker Pond area. Maybe there is a site with a view?

Also, would there be a site with a view between Little Pond Lookout and Glastenbury Lookout?

Thanks!

Saluki Dave
09-03-2003, 21:11
Is this in addition to the campsites forum already listed? I personally think this is a great idea, because it will help spread the impact beyond a few well known, high use sites. I have a couple of pets already.

Peaks
09-04-2003, 08:33
About the only views I recall in the section south of Route 9 is Harmon Hill, which is north of Congdon Shelter.

The whole section is a walk in the woods. If you are looking for a place in the woods to set up a tent, then I'm sure you can find one.

Likewise, I don't recall any views north of Route 9 until the top of Glastenbury.

poison_ivy
09-04-2003, 08:41
Consultation Peak has a level area near the top, but doesn't have any views and Sucker Pond is a very overgrown area as I recall... however, if you go off the trail you may be able to find something there. You might be able to find a spot near Stamford Stream, but that is very close to the Congdon shelter.

I was just on the Glastenbury portion of the trail this weekend -- there are only three places with views and those are the lookout points listed on the maps. There are a few campsites right around Goddard Shetler -- which has a terrific southerly view... you might want to consider staying there or tenting there.

-- Ivy

Mr. Clean
09-04-2003, 08:47
Isn't there the unnamed peak between these two sites? I don't have the book in front of me (it's at work...) but I seem to remember a peak with a view in that area.

poison_ivy
09-04-2003, 12:50
Greg P. -- there is a hill with powerlines on it between the two shelters, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

- Ivy