PDA

View Full Version : REI Igneo/Kelty Ignite/Kelty Cosmic

CottonTop615
11-15-2014, 20:08
Looking for some advice on a new bag. The three that I am currently looking at is the REI Igneo, Kelty Ignite, and the Kelty Cosmic. I am looking for a bag to do an AT through hike in 2016. As well as I have a trip coming up in a little more than a week in the Smokeys hitting the Ice Water and Peck's Corner shelters. I am hoping to take advantage of REI's 20% off sale going on to get one. The REI is definitely on the higher end of my price range but it also seems to be the best weight for warmth ratio, however, I do like the more girth in the Kelty's. Any thoughts on the bags would be much appreciated.

johnnybgood
11-15-2014, 21:10
Kelty Ignite has more Down (600 fill) vs 550 on the Cosmic ... size up to long if you're 6' tall or taller. Both Kelty's are nice affordable bags and are available with Dri- Down water resistant coating.

Old Hiker
11-15-2014, 22:32
The Kelty Cosmic I had was NOT warm to me. I froze when it got into the 40s here in FL. I was looking to replace my Trestle.

I got a Marmot Trestle 30* and was fairly comfortable down to about 20-25* with hat, t-shirt and shorts. I have an EMS 20* for colder and a Kelty Coromel 0* that I started with in 2012, only to find out it was WAY too warm, as 2012 was 15+* warmer than normal. I got the Trestle in Hot Springs and was VERY comfortable until I broke/sprained my ankle in May.

soumodeler
11-16-2014, 15:08
I have both the Kelty Cosmic Down and the REI Igneo. The REI Igneo is by far the better bag. Used it this weekend on 25* and 35* nights. I was a little chilly the first night in the 25* weather, but I get cold easily. I was overly warm the second night.

I bought the Cosmic at the last minute because it was on sale and I needed a 20* bag for the weekend. If I remember right it was about 30* and I froze in it. Although if you really want one, mine is for sale at a very decent price:D.

CalebJ
11-16-2014, 16:30
Kelty Ignite has more Down (600 fill) vs 550 on the Cosmic ... size up to long if you're 6' tall or taller. Both Kelty's are nice affordable bags and are available with Dri- Down water resistant coating.
This may just be me misreading your post, but 600 vs 550 is a reference to the type of down used (volume per ounce) and not the quantity.