PDA

View Full Version : Quick self supported run

BritRunner
11-15-2014, 22:21
So I'm thinking about having a crack at a fast run.

My plan would be fly to Atlanta and run back to ME..

I'm favouring the self supported approach but just fancy no mail drops apart from new trainers..

Just go for it and run.

Is this possible? How much can we just rely on shops en-route? I want to stay close to the trail and obviously use no cars. I've been reading various reports such as Joeycamps but the re-supply issue is what bothers me.

I'd set off with the record in mind but reckon I can spare 60 days.

I'm an ultra runner but not much multi day experience. I've ran races like the UTMB, represented GB in ultra trail running and one of only 3 people to complete the winter paddy buckley in Wales, UK.. 62 miles, 29,000ft of ascent. My ultra running resume is solid, I've given away who I am in that info, so I think I can have a solid shot.

Due to visa situations I work as an adjunct Prof and substitute teach so in the summer work is scarce, without kids I think next summer is an ideal time to go for it.

I realise most go N > S but my wife will be in Philly so by going to ME to finish I can see her more later on.

I've done 2 and 3 day ultra races and races like the three peaks boat race in the UK so do have some experience. I'm checking out the trail when I can and have seen good chunks in , MD (JFK 50 miler), ME, MA, NH, and will check out NJ and NY by then but won't see any of the southern section I'd imagine..

Also regarding water, in the whites I don't bother sterlising water? In europe we don't bother in most areas so plan to do the same and just drink from streams.. is that feasible?

fiddlehead
11-16-2014, 08:54
Experience is important here.
I don't necessarily mean trail running experience (which you have).
But AT hiking experience.
To know about the resupply options and get in and out of town quickly.

But, if you try, we will enjoy following your adventure.
Nutrition is quite important here as you are going to lose a lot of weight if you don't know how to keep it up.
See videos of Matt Kirk that he posted on youtube to see how skinny and gaunt he looks closer to the end.

I too drink the water that I find out there.
It is not a problem IF you are accustomed to some of the bacteria from the area IMO.
Try to choose the seeps, rather than the streams. The water is more pure that way.

I believe SOBO is the way most of the more recent record holders have gone.
You get the hardest part out of the way first.
The south is easier, although the first 275 miles or so are not so easy. (up until you finish the Smokeys)
NH and Maine for sure are the toughest.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your plans.

Malto
11-16-2014, 09:02
Is it possible to go for it and do it, absolutely. I would do a bit of planning and at least have your resupply locations nailed down so you aren't doing it on the fly. But there are plenty of convenient resupply locations that someone doing high miles will hit every couple days in most areas.

As as far as water, I don't treat in the southern half, in most places the water is high, coming directly from springs. Further north starting in NJ, I am not as confident in the water given the type of sources so I do treat more frequently there.

i would do a couple multi-day event prior to leaving. My rule of thumb is that you can sustain two thirds of your max single day mileage. So with the data you gave, if 62 is your max (just for illustration.) and you could walk the next day then I would expect you to be able to sustain about 40miles per day starting out on comparable terrain. The one thing you will need to take into account is the gear and food weight will be substantially heavier than what you normally run with so your mileage would be discounted.

As as far as Joeys run, I was very impressed with his athletic ability and grit so I was disappointed when he stopped. But looking at his attempt objectively, it was a logistically nightmare early on. You shouldn't be replacing all your gear while on a record run, that should be dialed in as well as resupply logistics. I fear this could be your Achilles heal as well with your lack of multi-day hiking/running.

Hope you are able to pull off your hike.

BritRunner
11-16-2014, 10:10
thanks both,
yeah my plan was to do a few long weekends on the route..

I'd like to do a good section south of hereto get an idea. I know the PA section fairly well and thats ok, rough in many parts but the climbs are short.

Slo-go'en
11-16-2014, 13:52
For the most part, water along the AT is of good quality, but you should still have a way to purify "iffy" sources. A Sawyer mini filter is small and light. There are only a hand full of places where you have to go more then a mile or two off the trail for resupply and since you have to do at least 110 miles every 3 days, avoiding those shouldn't be too much trouble.

Since you have to average at least 36 miles a day, don't count on having time to stop for a shower or a good meal at a restaurant for two months! I think that would be the hardest part, especially if you do this in the early summer to maximize hours of daylight.

Also, keep in mind the ones who have set records, or have come close to it, all have thru hiked the trail at least once in a more relaxed fashion and therefore knew the "lay of the land" as it were. Those who attempted a record with no prior thru hiking experience have failed miserably. But, no harm in trying. Well, maybe there is. Trying to maintain too fast a pace where you shouldn't be or pushing too far past your limits could result in injury.

BritRunner
11-16-2014, 14:17
Thanks, if I do go for it I'll do plenty of 3 day runs but won't recce any of the southern section most likely..

My lecturing ends Mid May so I'd probably start then. I've done a fair amount of 2-3 day runs in the alps but distances were less as it was mainly just vert..

I'm a highish mileage runner, 90-110 miles a week so pretty conditioned I think. I'd get a better idea after some runs..