PDA

View Full Version : Today's pre AT training hike fail

GirlfromOZ
11-15-2014, 22:47
So I have a series of weekend hikes planned for AT thru hiking prep. I'm starting to realise how hard this is going to be.
It's 42*c here today with over 65% humidity... I think that's roughly 106F I'm not doing anything that looks like hiking unless you count watching southbounders while I drink frozen coke in front of a fan.
And it's not even summer yet!!!
What kind of training are other hikers doing at the moment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdc5294
11-15-2014, 23:43
Wanna know a great training hike for the AT? The approach trail up Springer mountain. The best training for hiking the AT? Hiking the AT.

But seriously, you can do all the physical prep you want. Knock yourself out. Everyone will be at the same level at the latest about a month in. It's usually more like 2 weeks. There's nothing like hiking day after day end on end to get you in shape to do it. Everything before it will at best make you realize what it feels like to have a pack on your back going up a hill. There's nothing wrong with that, but you'll get the same experience in about an hour on that approach trail. And if your mind is right, you'll just say to yourself "oh...this is what it's like" and you'll keep going. Just $0.02 from someone who's done it.

jdc5294
11-15-2014, 23:50
I guess I should also address your point about adverse weather, my bad. You'll most likely be colder and hotter then you've ever been in your life while hiking the trail. I saw Army Rangers drop out of a thru because the weather sucked. And there was the 11 year old girl that finished it that year with her dad, carrying all her own stuff. I left early, so it was obscenely cold in the Smokey Mountains (and wet at the same time, not a good combination). In the middle of Virginia there's a 20 mile stretch (I forget where) where in the right conditions (hot and dry) there will be no water. That happened to me too. You just have to embrace it. If you can't it's not for you.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
11-16-2014, 02:53
So I have a series of weekend hikes planned for AT thru hiking prep. I'm starting to realise how hard this is going to be.
It's 42*c here today with over 65% humidity... I think that's roughly 106F I'm not doing anything that looks like hiking unless you count watching southbounders while I drink frozen coke in front of a fan.
What kind of training are other hikers doing at the moment?

GFO, I just get out with my pack fully loaded when I can and hike and/or camp. Longest trip has been 4 days, a number of overnighters and some plain ole day hiking. Mileage varied from 12 to 2-5 miles. Depends I what I can manage with work. Gone out as hot as 90 and as cool as 34 so far. Gonna try to head for a couple of colder night next weekend. But I try not to obsesses on it too much. Figure there is no real way to train for 160+ days of walking until you do it. I do do squats, planks, lunges, etc to try to build up endurance though.

T-Rx
11-16-2014, 12:04
GFO, I just get out with my pack fully loaded when I can and hike and/or camp. Longest trip has been 4 days, a number of overnighters and some plain ole day hiking. Mileage varied from 12 to 2-5 miles. Depends I what I can manage with work. Gone out as hot as 90 and as cool as 34 so far. Gonna try to head for a couple of colder night next weekend. But I try not to obsesses on it too much. Figure there is no real way to train for 160+ days of walking until you do it. I do do squats, planks, lunges, etc to try to build up endurance though.

Lady TH,
my wife and I are doing many of the same things in preparation for our upcoming hike. In addition we are also doing as much prep as we can for the mental challenges the trail will present. We are anxious for spring to arrive!

GirlfromOZ
11-16-2014, 19:26
Thanks for the encouragement guys! Was having a slight moment of panic that I'd fly over and have to quit in the first week. :)

jdc5294
11-16-2014, 20:14
You're from Austrailia? I don't mean to throw off your plants but what's wrong with the BNT? Maybe try that before you fly to another continent. Just a suggestion.

Treehugger
11-16-2014, 20:36
Hello GirlfromOz! I am hiking once week, backpacking once a month and working out at the gym and doing yoga 3 days per week. I try to walk as often as possible too. If you have to because of weather or funds, just work out at home. Build up your legs, core, butt AND stretch!!! IT band probs may creep up if you dont knownhow to stretch. You'll be fine I am sure!! Hope to see you out there!!

GirlfromOZ
11-17-2014, 06:45
Hey jdc. Like most people I have a long list of reasons why I want to hike the AT? But to address your specific question The BNT is from everything I've read for the more experienced hiker. The trail is not always as 'marked' as you would expect. Distances between re supply towns are further apart meaning heavier packs as you carry more gear. No where near as many people attempt to "thru" it meaning a smaller community to draw on for support. I'm hiking alone, but like that travelling at peak season on the AT I won't necessarily be alone.
I have a list of hikes I want to do and BNT is on it but it's not in my top 3. :)

rafe
11-17-2014, 07:29
I wouldn't hike in 106 degrees either. :rolleyes:

DavidNH
11-17-2014, 09:51
106F/ 42C? It doesn't get that hot on the AT. Most of the time it will be below 32 C and at times (spring and fall) temps will be below 0C (freezing).

When it does get really hot and or humid... you just do short days till the weather improves.Don't worry about getting in shape. Just start out at say 5 miles per day and gradually work up to higher mileage as your body allows.

If you photo is any indication, you are in good enough shape that the trail will do the rest and you'll condition while on trail. Remember it's more about smarts than brawn!

saltysack
11-17-2014, 09:59
A good weight/cardio routine has always worked for me as a lowly section hiker...I'm able to hike 15-20 days for extended weekend sections....hope to thu one day...being in shape starting out will make the beginning easier I would assume..

q-tip
11-17-2014, 10:00
"Climbing: Training For Peak Performance" by Clyde Soles. Three month mountaineering training program. Works every year for me. I found leg strength, not aerobic conditioning makes the difference in my level of suffering, and everyone suffers on the AT.

rafe
11-17-2014, 10:11
When it gets really hot on the trail I do what folks do in hot climates, namely take a nice long break during the hottest part of the day. Get up early, hike till noon or so. Take a long break. Then continue on as long as the daylight holds out.

hikehunter
11-17-2014, 16:54
Working 50 plus hours a week, makes it hard to train. I have always done a 3 mile jog every morning before work. The last 3 weeks I have added a "school" backpack with 18 lbs. of bricks to my daily jog. I also teach karate 3 nights a week. I do my jogs in all types of weather. You can rearly escape the weather on the trail. Bring quality gear and as many here before have stated the trail will train and take care of you.....good luck.

Rocket Jones
11-17-2014, 18:16
It's only a fail if you didn't learn anything. You learned that sometimes it too stupidly hot to hike. :D

jdc5294
11-18-2014, 15:31
Working 50 plus hours a week, makes it hard to train. I have always done a 3 mile jog every morning before work. The last 3 weeks I have added a "school" backpack with 18 lbs. of bricks to my daily jog. I also teach karate 3 nights a week. I do my jogs in all types of weather. You can rearly escape the weather on the trail. Bring quality gear and as many here before have stated the trail will train and take care of you.....good luck.
Not to poke my nose in other's buisness but be careful running with that pack, if you're not careful you can start getting stress fractures in the balls of your feet, shins, and hips from the extra impact. Being in the Army we do ruck "runs" every now and again (usually 12 miles in 2 hours with ~65lbs) and it gets a lot of guys.

T-Rx
11-18-2014, 15:58
It's only a fail if you didn't learn anything. You learned that sometimes it too stupidly hot to hike. :D

great point Rocket. I learn something new every time I go out for a multi day hiking trip.

Dogwood
11-18-2014, 19:51

Ahh, don't beat yourself up. You'll have to embrace a AT thru more than that if you want to happily complete it. Suck it up. C'mon pull up your big girl panties. Fail? Really? You might consider it's just a step in your prep. Don't stop the forward progression! No one said it was going to be so damn easy especially at the start. You Aussies are a tough bunch. C'mon.

Here's some good news. The sun and heat are somewhat more intense in OZ than you'll generally find on an AT NOBO thru. Second, you'll largely be in some shade or near some on an AT thru. Caveat: it'll likely be greater humidity than that on the AT for some time, mid summer for sure on the U.S. east coast. Green Tunnel it's called for a damn good reason. Third, you're only starting your training. Yeah, it's tough at your stage but you will habituate yourself more so to hiking and then being a thru-hiker. It takes several weeks for that to occur amongst the thru-hiking crowd. That's typical. It'a step by step journey IN MANY WAYS! Think increments, stages, steps.

...my wife and I are doing many of the same things in preparation for our upcoming hike. In addition we are also doing as much prep as we can for the mental challenges the trail will present.

Notice the BOLD. It's what derails most AT thru-hike attempts NOT physicality but, indeed, there is a physical aspect to a hike. Can't get away from that fact.

You just nailed some of the major differences of the AT compared to the BNT. It tells me you have the ability to inform yourself. It tells me you're able to consider things being able to design a hike and opting for the trail you do it on to uniquely fit your desires. Do so as impressively in your AT thru-hike planning. Design your AT hike as best you non stressfully can as well as you understand the BNT. :)

Consider one of those beanies with a built in motorized fan as a last recourse. :) http://www.amazon.com/Solarrific-reg-W4033-Beige-Cooling/dp/B002ZZEQRG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1416353977&sr=8-4&keywords=cooling+hats

Here's another item you might more seriously consider - an evaporative cooling bandana/buff. Something like this: http://industrialsafetygear.com/hard-hats/940B-100.html You can buy one at some outfitters in the U.S. and definitely at big box hardware stores like Home Depot and Lowes her in the U.S. too.

Dogwood
11-18-2014, 20:07

Remember, it's not ALWAYS going to be so hot for the multi month duration it takes most AT thru-hikers to complete their hikes. In fact, you might desire those hot temps at some pt on an AT thru-hike.

Again, even after you get into hiking and then thru-hiking shape - NOT just physically, but also mentally and emotionally - you have techniques and options to design your hike that BEST suits your strengths and desires. If hiking in the high heat and humidity of the U.S. east coast is not your forte than maybe you shouldn't. Design your hike that meets your strengths. Get up early pre dawn in mid summer, hike until it gets too hot/humid for ya, chill out, stop at a misty waterfall for example or at an overlook on the edge of an escarpment take a siesta like our South of the Border friends have learned to, and then pick up your hiking in the cooler late afternoon into evening hrs. Where there's a will there's a way!

great point Rocket. I learn something new every time I go out for a multi day hiking trip.

Here's where it's at. Build upon your hike. Build up. Manage yourself; manage your hike. To some, including T-Rx and certainly myself, that means be willing to learn, observe, consider, adapt, and, then re-adapt, re-adjust everyday even if it seems imperceptible at first. It's what long distance hikers do. :)

MuddyWaters
11-18-2014, 21:39
when you shivering due to the cold temps in teens, or single digits, you might long for that balmy 106 .

Connie
11-19-2014, 11:05
I started out, jog-walk the cinder track at school. I would jog 1/4 and walk 1/4 repeat.

I did stairs, then stairs with the backpack.

I did shallow knee bends, warned not to do deep knee bends because not really what you want to achieve. At first, no backpack. Later, full backpack. Not to excess. Knees don't hurt. That's just right.

I moved on to jog-walk long distance: up to 6-10 miles.

This worked for me, to eliminate having a tough getting my "second wind" in mountains.

Connie
11-19-2014, 11:17
I forgot to mention, walk curbs without a backpack, then, with a backpack. It tells you if you have good balance, and, if your backpack shifts weight. Pack the backpack better, or, adjust the straps. Maybe a different backpack?

Even on a groomed trail, you need that balance for stepping over tree roots, or, stepping thru rocks, stream crossings, etal. It is important to have good balance. If so fatigued you stumble, do better. Brief rest stops are helpful. If not refreshed, find a spot. Make camp.

The hiking sticks are no substitute. They help knees for the long trail, not because you put your weight on the hiking sticks, but because they change the actual movement of walking as well as stride on easy portions of a trail.

Booshay
11-19-2014, 18:00
I had never hiked more than 3 days b4 I hiked 1000 miles on a.t....don't worry about it, it'll be great!