PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Plasma 15 degree bag

Kolo
11-15-2014, 23:12
I’m thinking about picking up a Marrmot Plasma 15 degree bag. Does anyone have any experience with this bag? I have a 40 degree Marmot and am satisfied with it. I’m a little under 6’ and weight 220 and would choose the long version of the bag, just for the extra room. I’m looking for any general info, quality of the bag, experience with staying warm when the temp is in the mid-twenties, alternatives based on cost, years of use. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

colorado_rob
11-16-2014, 00:18
My wife has one, and of course I borrow it now and then. Warmest "15 degree" bag I've ever slept in, very puffy. Zipper can be a little flaky now and then sometimes, but no biggie. I think the regular length version we have weighs in at 1#15oz actual, not sure what the Marmot specs are. Hard to find on sale, at least 2 years ago when we bought it, I think we used our 25% off REi spring coupon to buy it.

Kolo
11-16-2014, 18:07
Thanks for the input Colorado_rob.

oldwetherman
11-16-2014, 22:41
It's my "go to" cold weather bag. Only minor problem is as colorado_rob said, the zipper is a bit flaky. I put a thin strip of tenacious tape alongside of the zippers teeth to prevent it from getting snagged.

tickspit
11-17-2014, 03:39
Same here with zipper problems. Good bag but won't buy another.

Black Viper
11-17-2014, 17:51
I love this bag and highly recommend it if you can find it on sale. I went through many bags before settling on the Plasma 15. It came down to the Plasma and the WM Ultralite, also a great bag. In the end, I felt the Plasma was a little warmer (as it's supposed to be) and I couldn't pass up the great sale price I found.

AliciaG
11-17-2014, 19:29
Just looked up cheapest prices on the Marmot plasma 15 using bc25's gear price checker (http://bc25.com/outdoor-gear-price-checker/) and found the lowest price of $401 at OMC Gear, followed by 25% off at backcountry

colorado_rob
11-17-2014, 19:44
It came down to the Plasma and the WM Ultralite, also a great bag. In the end, I felt the Plasma was a little warmer (as it's supposed to be) and I couldn't pass up the great sale price I found.I agree; as much as I love WM bags (my wife and I own 4 total between us), her plasma 15 is amazingly warm for its weight. "15 degrees" is a conservative rating. The plasma 15 is warmer than my WM 20 degree (Alpinlite), and 1 ounce lighter. I've been wanting to push the button on a plasma 30 for a couple years, but since I already have a good 32 degree bag, just couldn't justify it.

Kolo
11-17-2014, 20:43
Thanks to everyone for the input. I pulled the trigger tonight and bought it thru backcountry. I've purchased items from them before so I feel comfortable using them again. I bought the long bag because I like a little extra room. Once I try it out, I will post a review.

AliciaG
11-19-2014, 18:52
Awesome! Did the price checker come in handy?

Thanks to everyone for the input. I pulled the trigger tonight and bought it thru backcountry. I've purchased items from them before so I feel comfortable using them again. I bought the long bag because I like a little extra room. Once I try it out, I will post a review.

Kolo
11-19-2014, 19:52
AliciaG (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/50820-AliciaG) It didn't help me this time, but I'll use it in the future. Thanks for posting it. The bag was on my doorstep when I got home from work tonight! I'm sitting here typing with the bag across my lap. I had the bag in my hands at a store a couple of months ago and liked it. Now that I have it, I like it even more. I agree with the previous posts about the zipper. I think they could do a better job with it, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. Hmmm, I have Friday off, I think I'll go take a hike, see if this bag works.