PDA

View Full Version : Busy Year in Mass

Cosmo
11-16-2014, 17:41
At Upper Goose Pond Cabin this season (mid-May to mid-October), we recorded over 1800 visitors. 30 nights set new records for numbers of overnight visitors.

A rough tally of our campsite registers (14, total) finds over 10.000 entries this season. Obviously, all of the register entries aren't from overnight visitors ("just passin' thru"), nor do we attempt to track repeated entries by individual hikers, but it is a pretty impressive number of trail visits. Actual visits are likely higher, as not all hikers use the registers.

Imagine if 1% of those visitors actually volunteered for the Trail...

Cosmo

Minerva
11-16-2014, 19:13
Imagine if 1% of those visitors actually volunteered for the Trail...

Cosmo

Yee-haw! or donated just a dollar, or 50 cents!

Cosmo, in the spirit of Thanks"giving", THANK YOU for all that you do for the Trail down there in Massachusetts!

Loved the Gathering location due to your efforts.
MrsG

Jeff
11-16-2014, 20:22
Indeed...every hiker raves about their stay at Upper Goose Pond. That is a testament to the volunteers who make their guest feel so comfortable.

Slo-go'en
11-16-2014, 20:29
I put a couple of bucks into the jar last time stayed there. The least you can do for a pancake breakfast.

rafe
11-16-2014, 21:04
Never stayed there. But arrived shortly after breakfast, and the caretaker offered some mildly burned pancakes left over. Said, "A real hiker would eat these." So I did.

Teacher & Snacktime
11-16-2014, 21:21
Snacktime, Toots and I made a visit this year. As usual, it was great. We paid our way and then some to say "Thanks".

Cosmo
11-16-2014, 21:42
Donations at the Cabin do make a difference. For instance, early this spring we had a tree climbing arborist (http://massatprojects.blogspot.com/2014_04_01_archive.html) trim overhanging branches away from the cabin. We'll be installing a new roof next season, and we are able to paint one side of the building every year. Even with official "no pressure" instructions to cabin caretakers, there is enough to keep the pancakes, coffee and maple-flavored syrup flowing. We appreciate your support!

Cosmo

lemon b
11-17-2014, 18:03
I've been hiking the AT in Ma. for 40 years. Before the reroute between Rte 20 and Washington Mt. Road, it use to go right around Finerty Pond before Oct Mt. Shelter than there was a road walk west to pick the trail back up. This gentleman Jim Fish did a great amount of this reroute work We went thru a period where graffit was real issue between Rte 20 and Greylock. Not sure when Cosmo took over over site of the Ma trail: however, the amount off work is obvious. Thank you Cosmo. My own efforts have been limited to just picking up trash near the trailheads Becket Mt. South to Warner Hill. And yes I feel guilty as to not doing more. Bottom line is I almost feel too old for the physical work. Thank you Cosmo and the few who have done so much to make the Ma. AT such a nice clean walk.

Cosmo
11-17-2014, 23:34
I've been hiking the AT in Ma. for 40 years. Before the reroute between Rte 20 and Washington Mt. Road, it use to go right around Finerty Pond before Oct Mt. Shelter than there was a road walk west to pick the trail back up. This gentleman Jim Fish did a great amount of this reroute work We went thru a period where graffit was real issue between Rte 20 and Greylock. Not sure when Cosmo took over over site of the Ma trail: however, the amount off work is obvious. Thank you Cosmo. My own efforts have been limited to just picking up trash near the trailheads Becket Mt. South to Warner Hill. And yes I feel guilty as to not doing more. Bottom line is I almost feel too old for the physical work. Thank you Cosmo and the few who have done so much to make the Ma. AT such a nice clean walk.

No worries, lemonb. Every bit helps. In fact I was noticing that the level of junk that accumulates at Blotz Rd has been much less recently. I started volunteering in the late 90's, but it's far more that the work of one person. The thing that makes the Trail "magic" is the way individual efforts of many far exceeds the sum of the parts.

We've got plenty of room for all efforts--it's a big trail.

Cosmo

lemon b
12-23-2014, 18:45
Cosmo, back in the 70's Finerty Pond wasn't even there. Not even sure who put it there the beavers or DCR. I have an old map laying around from 1977 copy written by Vaughn Grey has the entire Ma. AT at the time. Berkshire Eagle paid to have the Map made.

Cosmo
12-23-2014, 20:45
Cosmo, back in the 70's Finerty Pond wasn't even there. Not even sure who put it there the beavers or DCR. I have an old map laying around from 1977 copy written by Vaughn Grey has the entire Ma. AT at the time. Berkshire Eagle paid to have the Map made.

I think DCR (back then it was DEM) enhanced the pond for a water supply. The map sounds pretty cool. Any chance you could scan it and send me the image?

Cosmo

lemon b
12-23-2014, 22:17
It is 25 inches wide by 36 inches long. I do not have the knowledge or equipment to scan it. If you PM me an address I'll certainly mail it to you on the understanding that it will be returned within a reasonable amount of time. Obviously not in the best of shape either. But certainly very readable.

DavidNH
12-24-2014, 10:22
I bet most of those hikers come for the free pancakes!

Another Kevin
12-24-2014, 11:27
Thanks, Cosmo, for all you and MA-AMC do!

I haven't been to Upper Goose Pond yet, but I've stayed at Alander, and the new site near Sages (forget its formal name) and Hemlocks, and they're all great, and the trails in Mt Washington are great, too!

Enjoy whatever holiday you celebrate, and all good wishes for a safe, healthy and prosperous 2015!

peakbagger
12-24-2014, 12:11
If you need something scanned most staples stores will do it. Just make sure you bring a USB stick as the file is large

Cosmo
12-25-2014, 09:18
And the canoe, great swimming and interesting conversations. Some do skip it, depending on their need to get to Dalton. It is a half mile off the AT and can get a little busy on weekends.

Cosmo

Jeff
12-25-2014, 09:31
Heard a hiker tell me at UGP you can canoe (a long way) for pizza.

Driver8
12-25-2014, 11:33
Cosmo, it was nice to meet you at Everett this July. Y'all do superb work - thank you again. I will join you for a work day one day. This next year should be better for that this this past, which had a lot of one-time things which made it an utter whirlwind. I hiked about half this year what I did in 2012, not out of lack of desire, just b/c other things pulled me away. On to 2015! And keep up the good work, Friend of the Trail.

Grampie
12-26-2014, 00:26
Heard a hiker tell me at UGP you can canoe (a long way) for pizza.

This was true in the past. Some hikers abused doing this so now hikers staying at the cabin are no longer permited to travel into Goose Pond.