PDA

View Full Version : hiking boot woes

Glacier
11-16-2014, 23:22
I've just about given up on finding a pair hiking boots for the winter. I wear trail runners as much as I can, but when it's cold slushy snow I like to have boots. I usually would wear the same boots I wear for work. Irish setter wingshooters (9 inch tall...yeah I know). But I wanted to lighten the load.
For the past 6 months I have tried every boot at the local REI. My problem is WIDE feet. Especially toe box. Asolo, vasque, salomon, etc. All to narrow. Keen foot bed felt the best but the mid height hurt my ankle area when flexing my foot. Should I just stick with my 2 lb 2 oz boot. On the upside the are waterproof. I have been in ankle deep water pouring concrete for months without leaks. Short of a custom boot, have any ideas?

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
11-16-2014, 23:33
Did you try some Oboz? Next to Keens they seem to work with my feet the best. Lots of room in the toe box, nice arch - kinda like Keen - and the way they lace-up prevents my heel from slipping, unlike a lot of the other shoes. I have wide feet up front, pronate with little natural arch but my feet like good arch support and I have a narrow heel. So far working pretty good for me.

Glacier
11-16-2014, 23:48
Yes. Oboz, lowa, and merrell. I thought the merrell moab were going to be good, but to fit some boots I get them to long in order to fit my foot then they bend in the wrong spot and pinch my toes.

hikehunter
11-17-2014, 16:58
Have you looked at Redwing???

Glacier
11-17-2014, 20:38
My current irish setter boots are owned/made/affiliated with red wing. Basically the same thing with a different tag.

rickb
11-17-2014, 22:08
I have the luxury of working near New Balance's corporate store, so it was easy for me to try on all manner of their boots and trail runners, but I think you might find something that meets your requirement on line-- with a good return policy if they don't fit.

Here is a link to something similar to what I found in EEEE. I like them much better than my leather boots or Sorrels on snowy trails and when snowshoeing. http://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-balance-1099/MO1099.html#color=Black

misterfloyd
11-17-2014, 22:17
Glacier,

I looked at your original post and you asked for winter boots. Are you looking for true Winter boots (Sorrells etc..) I'm basing this with you being outside of Milwaukee, or are you looking at heavier hiking boots that can be used in the winter in my area, NC?

I have had the same problem as you so Here are some suggestions.

You might want to look at Keens website, They are making Keen Targhees in wide sizes. I called them and they said it was true. I've asked the two REI's we have and get the standard answer. "They are already wide, or That's news to me." I really would like to try them on my nobody in my area has it. I may order directly from them.

I've given up on them being knoledgeable about shoes. Go to any of thier stores and they have the same shoes. Nothing for us with Fred Flintstone feet.

Here is what I've learned:

LL Bean Cresta Hikers are excellent boots and they come in true wides. They are heavy. But they are comfy.
Vasque Bitterroot and Clarions come in wides, wides that would fit my foot, not wide like the Sundowners.
Lowa Renegade comes in wide. I have these. They are relativly wide as well.
You said you tried Merrels,
Wolverine makes wide as well. You may want to look at the highland hiker. It is a very solid boot.

I have the same problem, and have had the same problem. Where can I get good service from people who know what the hell they are talking about. I had to go to an indie store in Asheville, NC.

All of the above boots except the Merrels and the Keens are on the heavy side. Lowas I find they are light enough. Are any of these trail runners? No, but these are boots that I have tried on and they worked.

Finding someone who can give you good customer service is going to be key.

BTW, keen also makes work boots and some are almost exactly like the hiking boots. They come in steel toe and soft toe (NO steel toe) Oddly enough they are in wide sizes. The Detroit is exactly like the targhees.

Hope this helps,
Floyd

misterfloyd
11-17-2014, 22:20
RickB,

Gotta look into these.......

Glacier
11-17-2014, 22:45
Rick b - those look interesting. I do wear NB trail runners. There is a NB store not far from me, I'll have to them out.
Mister floyd- yes I'm looking for a all around boot light insulation not a pac boot. I did try some vasque boots but not the models you mentioned. I'll have to check out the keen work boots if their lighter then my irish setters. I tried the targhees, but I can't do a mid height. If they were taller they would be sweet.
Thanks both of you!

Cedar1974
11-23-2014, 06:26
Call me biased, but there is one boot company everyone seems to avoid, but as a former member of the armed forces I can swear by, and that is Bates.

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/19846M/0/Mens/GX-8-GORE-TEX-Insulated-Side-Zip-Boot?dimensions=0

You might like these as a good solid winter boot, and they are much lighter than you might expect. Also I should tell you their boots tend to run one size large, or at least that is what seems to be the case in every boot I have ever worn. Maybe that is just me.

peakbagger
11-23-2014, 07:07
I have very wide feet and bought New Balance 1099s a year ago, they fit well. I thought they has stopped producing them. The inserts that come with them are not great and lack arch support. I switched in some Montrail heat moldable inserts. I used them for last years winter hiking season in the whites with no issues. They are nylon fabric with glued seams. I don't see any significant wear but expect that leather might be more durable.

Of course, like any other winter boot, if you don't use vapor barrier socks the sweat from your feet will eventually sock the insulation. For most dayhikes, I live with it but if its very cold conditions VB socks will make a big difference.

Connie
11-23-2014, 10:52
Sorel Men's Ankeny Mid Boot are not "pacs". Maybe these?
http://www.sorel.com/mens-ankeny-mid-boot-1553371.html?dwvar_1553371_variationColor=010

jfront2112
11-25-2014, 13:15
+1 for the Lowa Renegades. I have a wide foot as well. Very comfy. Very pricey too. I had mine for a couple seasons but they got destroyed after one winter in the higher elevations of the white mountains.

terryg49
11-25-2014, 13:57
Sorel Men's Ankeny Mid Boot are not "pacs". Maybe these?
http://www.sorel.com/mens-ankeny-mid-boot-1553371.html?dwvar_1553371_variationColor=010

Limmer Boots in North Conway N,H, have been hand making making boots for generations, It is a family company with a reputation for quality .

Connie
11-25-2014, 14:32
Well, someone is making great boots for Sorel.

My ordinary boots soles broke to pieces, when the snow squeaks, here, in Montana.

I saw a workwear store in Leithbridge, Alberta, Canada. They had -60 F Sorel boots with felt and silver color ribbon thread. No trouble from those cold-weather boots. However, more styled for snowshoeing, I guess.

Old Hiker
11-25-2014, 16:39
I still swear by these:

http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-15130-Chocurua-Trail-Brown/dp/B000VX1BWW/ref=sr_1_8?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1416947914&sr=1-8&keywords=timberland+boots

Have 4 pair, rotating through. They seemed broken in right out of the box.

peakbagger
11-25-2014, 20:09
By the way the New Balance 1099 boots are back in production. When I discovered that, I ordered a spare pair as they don't stay in stock for long.

The Cleaner
11-25-2014, 22:39
Vasque SnoBurbans......

Glacier
11-26-2014, 21:22
Just giving an update. I'll be heading to my local red wing store this weekend to check out some boots. Vasque being owned by red wing.

Glacier
11-29-2014, 15:05
I think I found a winner. I spent an hour at the red wing store trying on boots. I stuck my foot in these http://hunt.irishsetterboots.com/irishsetter-shoe/2874-irish-setter/2874-irish-setter-hunt-mens-8-inch-boot-brownmossy-oak-break-up-infinity-camouflage and they felt like the boot I was looking for. I'm not overly excited about the camouflage...but they weight half of my old boots and feel twice as comfortable.

Dadinator
01-07-2015, 16:06
I think I found a winner. I spent an hour at the red wing store trying on boots. I stuck my foot in these http://hunt.irishsetterboots.com/irishsetter-shoe/2874-irish-setter/2874-irish-setter-hunt-mens-8-inch-boot-brownmossy-oak-break-up-infinity-camouflage and they felt like the boot I was looking for. I'm not overly excited about the camouflage...but they weight half of my old boots and feel twice as comfortable.
Any update on how these are working for you?

Glacier
01-12-2015, 00:30
Sure! Comfortable out of the box. There is an arch protection that slightly wraps on the outside of the foot which was a little stiff but gets better every time I wear them. I gave them a decent work out after only having them a couple hours. I dragged two deer in wet slushy snow and through a shallow creek. No problems with comfort or waterproofing. I have since worn them on multiple day hikes and general work around the house like cutting firewood. Good traction and comfort. They do get warm to hike with Temps over 30.