PDA

View Full Version : free beer

middle to middle
10-21-2005, 16:57
Towards the end of a long day I came upon a can of beer laying on the trail. Amazed and delighted I picked it up, it was ice cold! I took my pack off and was stowing it for later use when the owner came back to find it. He was on a motorbike using the trail and had a sixpack strapped on back and was loosing some. He was a jerk of course and not so graciously gave me the one lousy beer.
In reading the other posts I recalled this as one of the nicer finds along the trail. I was very sad when the lonley beer was gone.

tom

Spirit Walker
10-21-2005, 17:03
I found a beer near Bear Mountain. I had stopped to take a picture at an overlook and dropped my pack. When I turned around to pick it up again, I found a Guiness on the trail sitting next to it. It was about 7:00 a.m., so I put it in my pack to enjoy later. That was one of my better lunches ;-)

TDale
10-21-2005, 20:24
Stalked by the Guinness leprechaun...horrifying!

weary
10-21-2005, 22:02
I found a beer near Bear Mountain. I had stopped to take a picture at an overlook and dropped my pack. When I turned around to pick it up again, I found a Guiness on the trail sitting next to it. It was about 7:00 a.m., so I put it in my pack to enjoy later. That was one of my better lunches ;-)
One February 20 or 25 years or so ago, I was walking into Katahdin Stream in Baxter State Park from Abol Bridge.

Our route took us on the snow-covered perimeter road, up that long dreary , hilly road, and past a tiny stream, where I spotted a 12 ounce sun-faded Budweiser can.

Over four decades, I've had many exciting hikes through Maine and other wildlands, summer and winter. Strangely, few memories remains as vivid as that lone can of beer -- shared with 12 companions.

Weary

SavageLlama
10-21-2005, 22:26
Last day of my Long Trail thru-hike we found two Long Trail ales at a shelter right before Canada. It made my face look like this --> :D

SGT Rock
10-21-2005, 22:29
In 1999 I was given about 4 beers by a local when I helped him get his car unstuck. It made the Falls of Dismal even better.

SteveJ
10-22-2005, 02:42
I haven't found any free beer on the trail, but did lose about 10 oz of Crown Royale on the trail once. Talk about a disappointing evening when I got into camp, pulled out the stogie, and realized the pack zipper had not been secured tightly and the scotch was gone.....:datz

squirrel bait
10-22-2005, 08:18
I left a pint of Black Velvet in the hiker box at the old Four Pines Hostel.

Lone Wolf
10-22-2005, 09:33
Follow me. Spirits will follow.

SGT Rock
10-22-2005, 09:34
Follow me. Spirits will follow.
MAn, that is deep ;)

CynJ
10-22-2005, 09:57
lol....deep what? ;)

(sorry couldn't resist - now back to your regularly scheduled thread)

Lone Wolf
10-22-2005, 10:01
The moon arose. Fruits are flowin?

SGT Rock
10-22-2005, 10:03
The moon arose. Fruits are flowin?

I prefer grains personally.http://www.makersmark.com/AgeCheck.aspx?redir=%2fDefault.aspx

Red Hat
10-22-2005, 10:05
The only free beer I "found" was in the water hole at Rock Spring Cabin, near a shelter in SNP. There was a six pack cooling when I filled my water bottle. I realized it belonged to the guys staying at there, so I left it alone. I did have the pleasure of being given free beer by several wonderful trail angels along the way. One was a local NC ale of some kind that was fabulous! Red Hat

Lone Wolf
10-22-2005, 10:08
If you catch me on a bender, beer flows free in my circle. Don't miss it.

Jack Tarlin
10-22-2005, 15:19
Best beer I had this past summer was delivered by Lone Wolf while I was blue-blazing the Creeper Trail back to Damascus.

This is a beautiful trail to see on foot or by bike and if you're in the area, is definitely worth checking out. I'm a sorry it took me ten years to discover this place and I thank Wolf for encouraging me to do so, as well as providing the beverage.

soulrebel
10-22-2005, 15:55
Found a free beer yday on the AT between woody and jarrard gap. There were 2 so I of course left the other. Not 15mins earlier, I was thinking hmm a light pack is nice but beer is better...

Newb
10-23-2005, 09:42
Towards the end of a long day I came upon a can of beer laying on the trail. Amazed and delighted I picked it up, it was ice cold! I took my pack off and was stowing it for later use when the owner came back to find it. He was on a motorbike using the trail and had a sixpack strapped on back and was loosing some. He was a jerk of course and not so graciously gave me the one lousy beer.
In reading the other posts I recalled this as one of the nicer finds along the trail. I was very sad when the lonley beer was gone.

tom
He was using a motorbike on the trail? He should be shot, then arrested.

rickb
10-23-2005, 10:02
Not sure if the Trail still passes through right Edward Murrow Park in Duchess County, NY but it did once.

Hiking through on Labor Day, the town gave me unlimitted access to the Genesee Beer Truck. Ah, Genny Cream Ale :- P.

Rick B

weary
10-23-2005, 13:21
In reading the other posts I recalled this as one of the nicer finds along the trail. I was very sad when the lonley beer was gone. tom
Once on my walk north through the south I bought a 12-pack of two ounce plastic bottles of Jim Beam, which I stowed in the side pocket of my pack.

That night the stragglers to the shelter were all praising the "angel" who had left two ounce plastic bottles of whisky on the trail. I glanced at my pack. The side zipper was open and the pocket empty.

Weary

Kerosene
10-23-2005, 14:55
The side zipper was open and the pocket empty.I feel your pain. :(

SGT Rock
10-23-2005, 16:12
Once on my walk north through the south I bought a 12-pack of two ounce plastic bottles of Jim Beam, which I stowed in the side pocket of my pack.

That night the stragglers to the shelter were all praising the "angel" who had left two ounce plastic bottles of whisky on the trail. I glanced at my pack. The side zipper was open and the pocket empty.

Weary

Weary, you are my kind of angel. Maybe someday this angel can return you the favor :D

Anumber1
10-23-2005, 16:12
never turn down a free beer

Uncle Silly
10-23-2005, 17:55
I found a half-pint of Southern Comfort at an empty campsite in the Greyson Highlands this year. I was actually the second discoverer of this artifact; fortunately (for me) the first didn't drink. :D

hustler
10-25-2005, 00:07
The ultimate was this year at overmountain shelter, some past thru-hikers from App-State packed in a keg. I had gotten free beer thru-hiking but not kegged beer at a shelter before!

Teatime
10-25-2005, 02:51
Found a styrofoam cooler full of Bud tallboys and Sodas at the A.T. - U.S. 522 intersection near Front Royal, VA. The cooler was stashed, as I recall, on the footbridge on the South side of 522. It was unseasonably hot that whole week and I thought about digging in but 2 things stopped me: 1) If I drank a beer, I wouldn't have been able to take another step the rest of the day. 2) I had seen several thru-hikers headed North already that week and wanted to leave the trail magic for any more that might happen along.
Man, that hike from Manassas Gap Shelter to the 4-H Center was like a death march! It didn't help that I pushed to hard to get done. It was in the mid/high 80s in late March and no leaves on the trees for cover.

dharmabum86
10-25-2005, 14:04
My boyfriend and I pack in a 2L Platypus of red wine on some hikes. Sometimes, we even pack a 16oz Nalgene of bourbon. Niether require ice and we always have plenty to share!!! One of our non-hiking friends packed in 2 bottles of wine, in the bottle?!?!?!?! His pack weighed about 40lbs if that's any indication! He needed that wine when we got to the shelter.......AND YES....we did pack out his bottles :D

the goat
10-25-2005, 15:28
hiking south outta 501 shelter in '03, i met "bag o' tricks" out on a day hike. he offered to slack me and a buddy south a/b 20 miles and meet us @ a road crossing w/ our packs & some beer. (i was thinking a 6-pack, perhaps)
when we got there, he had a case of yeunglings (sp?) for us, we drank a bunch & packed the rest to rausch gap shelter, where we kept 'em cool in the water trough.
needless to say the hangover wasn't killed until i was saddled up the bar at the doyle the next afternoon...where 'tricks met us for some beers.
thanks again 'tricks, you rock :clap :clap :clap :clap

Lone Wolf
10-25-2005, 15:31
That ******* tricks. Everytime I'm around him he screws up my mileage or plans with beer. Can't wait to see him again. :D

the goat
10-25-2005, 15:47
That ******* tricks. Everytime I'm around him he screws up my mileage or plans with beer. Can't wait to see him again. :D
yeah, he stayed the doyle and partied with us that weekend, we closed the place down two nights in a row. my mileage plans were f'ed as well, but it was definitely well worth it. :D i was strugglin' outta duncannon.