PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Frozen Pizza?

Jeff
11-17-2014, 14:16
We are going to offer frozen pizzas for sale at the hostel next season. That should give our kitchen oven a real workout.

What brand do you suggest...DiGiorno, Tombstone, Totinos, Red Baron, other ???

RED-DOG
11-17-2014, 14:29
if I eat pizza it's Digiorno supreme but I usually don't eat pizza while on a long distance hike, I go for the Cheese Burgers, Hot Dogs, Fries, Milk shakes, and chicken nuggets that sort of thang.

Starchild
11-17-2014, 14:34
Tombstone use to be great when they first came out, but the quality has seemed to fall off a cliff many years ago. I can't speak for others.

Coffee
11-17-2014, 14:37
I think they had Tombstone at Bear's Den. I normally don't eat frozen pizza but I have to say that probably any brand is great after hiking!

theoilman
11-17-2014, 15:04
Anything hot, frozen not so much.

saltysack
11-17-2014, 15:09
California kitchen BBQ chix is great...lil pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offshore
11-17-2014, 15:10
A special treat for the celiac or otherwise gluten-free hikers (we're out there...) would be to have some Conte's gluten free on hand: http://contespasta.com/products/gluten-free/

My local Wegman's can't keep it in stock. Best part about it is that its a bake-in-bag, so you could offer a true gluten-free alternative with no need to change storage, handling, or preparation procedures to avoid cross contamination.

runt13
11-17-2014, 15:33
ellio's peperoni or plain, have some diced peppers, and onions to spruce them up, and a generic Italian seasoning shaker, some crushed red peppers...good to go!

RUNT ''13''

ZenRabbit
11-17-2014, 15:49
DiGiorno Supreme Garlic Bread :)

Studlintsean
11-17-2014, 16:02
Totinos are cheap ($1-$1.50) so they might be good for a hostel but I don't think 1 is going to do much to a hiker appetite. Digiorno are a bit more expensive and a bit more filling (should feed 2 normal people). If you have Costco, I would get the Costco brand which can get you 3 or 4 for $10 (depending on flavor) and would be filling and cheap at a happy medium.

Grey Ghost
11-17-2014, 16:04
Hunt Brothers Pizza. Had it Wolf Pen Gap Store/Hostel at Sucches Ga. last year . Sure was tasty.

Dogwood
11-17-2014, 17:07
I don't think it will matter much what kind of pizza you stock. If it's there hikers will buy it and eat it. Make it easy on yourself get pizza that matches your facilities and convenience to hikers. Not fussy to heat up, hot, tasty, cheap, maybe w/ a shaker of garlic, oregano, extra Parm cheese, etc on the side. If hikers smell someone else cooking it it they will come. They will buy it. You will have a hard time keeping anything with those attributes in stock. It'll be as easy as selling crack to a crack addict.

rafe
11-17-2014, 17:19
Market Basket house brand is pretty good.

HogFan
11-17-2014, 19:00
Digiorno are a bit more expensive and a bit more filling (should feed 2 normal people).
Challenge accepted! (Just kidding, I tackle one solo occasionally)

Wise Old Owl
11-17-2014, 19:45
ellio's peperoni or plain, have some diced peppers, and onions to spruce them up, and a generic Italian seasoning shaker, some crushed red peppers...good to go!

RUNT ''13''

Ouch! I grew up on that... can't you do better? Quality proofed dough (3 days) and quality ingredients...

As for the oven and the electric or gas (gas is best) I ran into a couple that eat so much pizza at their parties splurged for this in the back yard....

an Australian Pizza oven run on wood... I was impressed but thought it was small. it was heavy duty and ran on small split wood at 15" cuts.

My point is I think you will run the expensive family oven into the ground and should take the time to find a surplus pizza oven (small) or commercial grade that can support that kind of activity. There are plenty of "pizza places going out of business" after they are gone pickers clear out the equipment and it shows up in center city at a warehouse for cheap.

Wise Old Owl
11-17-2014, 20:09
Here are some review's that show up that won't be posted - skip the first three. In fact go down to Pepperoni....

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-reviews/food-products/frozen-pizza-reviews/best-frozen-pizza

Turns out the wife buys the better DiGiorno on sale and I prefer Trader Joe.

Connie
11-17-2014, 20:36
Albertson's has Culinary Circle rising crust frozen pizza: pepperoni is excellent.

atmilkman
11-17-2014, 22:40
Believe it or not but those Walmart supremes are pretty good.

atmilkman
11-17-2014, 22:45
Hunt Brothers Pizza. Had it Wolf Pen Gap Store/Hostel at Sucches Ga. last year . Sure was tasty.

That woman makes some great pizzas. We gave her little oven a work out.

hikehunter
11-18-2014, 03:36
Having been a manager of a pizza delivery place back in collage I got to say the freasher the better.

You might look into the make your own deal.... The sauce is key.....pepperoni is easy...the cheese needs to be as oil free as you can get it... Pappa Johns is the best delivery pizza at this time....

Frozen---Degernio .....Red barron comes in 2nd.....:-?

The Pepperage Farm is not bad...

runt13
11-18-2014, 07:44
wise old owl,
I know its not really pizza, and its not that good, but I do eat it from time to time. you should see the look on my wife's face when I take it out of the freezer.....priceless. she cooks for a living!

RUNT ''13''

squeezebox
11-18-2014, 11:18
What can you get by the case, with how much of a discount? Make it as easy on yourself, you're already doing a lot. I'ld go cheap and filling. Someone who has been eating instant oatmeal for weeks/months will obviously eat anything. But thanks for asking.

juma
11-18-2014, 11:25
home run pizza's are really good but you probably can't get them. I only see them harris teeter.

squeezebox
11-18-2014, 11:26
Size might be important. How many can you fit in your oven at 1 time? Consider storage, some extra large pizzas wont fit in my freezer.

Ktaadn
11-18-2014, 12:01
I would recommend finding a toaster oven (or two?) that will fit a pizza and then find frozen pizza's that will fit in there. Tony's aren't bad btw.

Rolls Kanardly
11-18-2014, 17:09
Even "Cardboard Pizza" is okay twenty minutes after the last piece is gone.

Now there is this place called Arnie's in Lafayette, IN. that makes a pizza served in three inch squares. Serve that pie and I will stay a few extra days.

We all have our favorites of course. While planning a 1972 summer vacation trip from MI to AZ to see my brother for the first time in a few years I bought an uncooked pizza from a local high school hang out pizzeria in Muskegon, MI., put it in a cooler and brought it to Tempe, AZ. It was a 15" deluxe and he ate it all by himself. Thought he had died and went to a higher plain.

Rolls

perdidochas
11-18-2014, 18:00
We are going to offer frozen pizzas for sale at the hostel next season. That should give our kitchen oven a real workout.

What brand do you suggest...DiGiorno, Tombstone, Totinos, Red Baron, other ???
Tombstone and Red baron are about the best for the money. DiGiorno's are just the best. Totino's is the absolute cheapest, but taste as if they are the cheapest.

Just Bill
11-18-2014, 19:01
Here we have Jack's- a bit better than tombstone and about the same price.
ALDI carries the best take and bake pizzas for cheap here, but they are not frozen.

Bottom line though-
Do people eat at your hostel much? I personally don't generally, but haven't been to yours or know how remote it is.

If I do-the best pizza is the cheap one you happen to have. If I was going to toss one in while taking a shower and have one- I wouldn't cry if it wasn't digiorno. I'd likely pass if it was $10, for that I'd hold out for town food-but a $5 that you bought for $3 while I do laundry and shower...you might have me there.

colorado_rob
11-18-2014, 19:14
We ate and loved DiGiorno's rising crust frozen pizzas for years, then we "discovered" the Kroger store-brand version, sometimes priced at three for $10, basically just as good as DiGiorno's, at least my unsophisticated palette cannot tell the difference. So, not sure if you have stores up there that are basically (owned by) Krogers (we have "King Soopers" in Denver), but if you do, check one out sometime. Amazing deal, and very good taste.

Grey Ghost
11-18-2014, 19:50
That woman makes some great pizzas. We gave her little oven a work out.Sure was good and hot.

Wise Old Owl
11-18-2014, 22:40
wise old owl,
I know its not really pizza, and its not that good, but I do eat it from time to time. you should see the look on my wife's face when I take it out of the freezer.....priceless. she cooks for a living!

RUNT ''13''

It's OK - to be honest when they serve pizza over at the office... I'm gone.... I made pizza from scratch at 16 years old worked in a Chicago pizza place when they "discovered" how old - they had to fire me. I laughed - it was clearly on my application and they missed it.

The easiest way to fix frozen to make it fresh is to add fresh Oregano then 2 ounces of fresh mozzarella, I also like slicing small tomato's and popping the top... but ya can't fix the bread. The bread is key... some will be fooled-not all.

Wise Old Owl
11-18-2014, 22:48
What can you get by the case, with how much of a discount? Make it as easy on yourself, you're already doing a lot. I'ld go cheap and filling. Someone who has been eating instant oatmeal for weeks/months will obviously eat anything. But thanks for asking.

My condolences uh oatmeal. Do you hear cricket's? Hope you switch to steel cut - I take that thru a blender then toss into the carton again... cuts the time in 2/3's