PDA

View Full Version : ZPacks Hexamid Solo/Solo Plus vs SMD Skyscape X?

Mayanway
11-18-2014, 17:41
I'm thinking about purchasing one of the above for my upcoming thru hike. I'm pretty set with the rest of my gear, but only own a 2 person tent at the moment. Since I'll be going solo, I'm planning to get a one person tent and am willing to consider shelling out for cuben. I want a shelter that is side entry with decent vestibule space or enough space in the tent for gear, fully enclosed for bug protection (I'll buy the netting for the hexamid if I go with that), and enough headroom not to feel claustrophobic when lying down. Being able to fit my 40 lb dog in the vestibule or tent would be a perk for future backpacking adventures, but isn't essential as she won't be coming with me on the thru hike. Does anyone have an opinion on which you'd purchase given the choice, or care to share pros/cons of either based on experience?

Coffee
11-18-2014, 17:52
I can't compare the Hexamid to the Skyscape but I would suggest that you look at the specs for the Hexamid Twin as well as the Solo and Solo Plus if you go with zPacks. I have the twin and found that the weight difference is very small and I have tons of room to keep all my gear with me in the tent.

Odd Man Out
11-18-2014, 18:41
I had a Skyscape Trekker (silnylon version of the X). I sold it and plan to try a TT Notch instead. There were a few things I didn't like about the Trekker. There was only one door, so the back vestibule wasn't really useful. The tiebacks for the doors were hard to work and seemed to be in the wrong place since the door panel would still sag down when fastened. The flat roof panel by my feet sagged a bit, touching my bag at night and as this is a spot where it is a single wall tent, that got my foot box damp. There is a tie out there I started using to keep that panel elevated, but that required a branch to tie to or finding the right sized stick since I didn't carry a tent pole for that line. The bathtub floor wasn't very generous and in places sagged so that there was no clearance above the ground. None of these were huge problems, especially since I was using it in for dry summer hiking, but I decided to go a different direction to see if I would like the TT better (I'm not shelling out for Cuben). It is possible that the Skyscape X would not have the same issues and I can't comment on the ZPacks tents, but that was my experience with the SMD.

Dogwood
11-18-2014, 18:59
I luv all these Hexamids being bought. It means a greater chance of me scoring a hugely discounted barely used one for my nephew.

CalebJ
11-18-2014, 19:18
Amen to that. No way I'm plunking down the cash for a new one, but if one shows up used in the next couple of years I'll seriously consider trading in the tarp/bivy for a bit more shelter.

Lyle
11-18-2014, 20:14
I have the Solo Plus. I had a Solo loaned to me to check out in the back yard, and thought it was just a bit too small. It would be tough for me, a restless sleeper, to stay under it fully throughout the night, especially if I was on even a slight incline. The Solo Plus offered pretty good margin in size, and on a 25+ night trip in the Sierras this past summer/early fall worked out fine. I have the tarp version, no bug netting.

Two things to be aware of:

1) They have a large footprint, so you need a larger sized site to accommodate the guy lines. Was only a mild problem a couple of times, not insurmountable.
2) There is no "door" as such. You just lift the beak to it's "up" position and duck under the side. Was a mild concern when I bought it, wasn't an issue in practice.

I'm very happy with my choice. Love cuben for a tent, packs virtually dry even after a night rain, just wipe it down in the AM. I may decide to get the inner net tent, or an alternative for bug season. LOVED that the Solo Plus Tarp, with guy lines is only 7 OZ.

Dogwood
11-18-2014, 20:30
"Love cuben for a tent, packs virtually dry even after a night rain, just wipe it down in the AM. I may decide to get the inner net tent, or an alternative for bug season."

I werry weary mucho gusto like CF too but when getting up in the morn, break camp, dropping my SILNY OR CF tarps/tents first thing giving them a shake off after a night's rain, spread them out over a dryish tree/bushes, and wipe each down, BOTH are VIRTUALLY DRY as I stuff them into the outside of my backpack.

handlebar
11-18-2014, 20:31
I have the Hexamid solo plus. Plenty of room inside for me (6ft) and my pack. Have used it for over 1300 miles and no problems. Mine is the tent---that is it has the bug netting as well as the beak. I spent a zero day during heavy rain in it during my AZT hike this fall and stayed nice and dry and wasn't too claustrophobic. Cuban fiber doesn't absorb moisture so after wiping down with a pack towel it quickly dries.

MuddyWaters
11-18-2014, 21:08
Skyscape floor is too thin. 0.74 cuben is not tough enough to use for floor. When zpacks won't reccomend a 0.74 groundsheet, that says something as well.

I've seen a 0.74 groundsheet leak water thru. Many complaints of even pine needles perforating a skyscape floor too.