PDA

View Full Version : "2000 Miles", "App Impressions", Walking w. Freedom"

lobster
10-21-2005, 23:44
Which one is the best video?

Lilred
10-22-2005, 06:50
I haven't seen 2000 miles, but I really liked Walking with Freedom. Great movie from a hiker's perspective. Excellent music!

MarcnNJ
10-22-2005, 07:55
My vote would go to Appalachian Impressions, out of the 3......

trippclark
10-22-2005, 10:24
I own all three and like all three quite a bit.

I think that it depends on the audience. Appalachian Impressions is considerably longer and is good for any general audience, even for folks with zero prior AT knowledge. It even has an educational slant to it, informing about trail terminology, LNT, etc. I recall nothing offensive in it that would prevent it from being shown to any audience, even children.

The other two capture more of the "experience" and assume some level of knowledge about the AT from the audience. Each contain a small amount of footage that may be offensive to some audiences -- particularly impressionable children (drinking, profanity, and, in 2000 Miles to Maine, drug use), but none of this is worse than what you'd see on regular cable.

Walking with Freedom has a great soundtrack also.

Most folks who enjoy the AT would enjoy all of these movies. They are all well worth buying and watching (several times).

Tripp

lobster
10-22-2005, 11:53
I read that "2000 Miles to Maine" has shaky camera work. Does it?

MarcnNJ
10-22-2005, 13:15
Perhaps in parts....but it doesnt stick out in my mind....it has a funny story of a dog in the beginning...then shows some partying....then it skips all the way from southern VA to new england....leaves everything in between out of the film.....its alright to watch right the right company....Appalachian Impressions is less entertaining, and much more informative.....

lobster
10-22-2005, 13:20
I'll probably go with "Walking with Freedom" if I get one at all. Any thoughts on how this video compares with "5 Million Steps" or "Trek" of which I own.

Tha Wookie
10-22-2005, 15:47
I liked walking with freedom the best. Very subjective -good stuff.

bfitz
10-22-2005, 18:05
I saw a move at Miss Janets called "The Thru-Hicks". I don't think it was distributed commercially, but it is the best through-hike movie I have ever seen. Walking with Freedom was also very good, especially since it covered "my" year.

Houdini
10-23-2005, 23:25
"Walking with Freedom" is pretty sweet. I like that it's mostly music and scenery.

Almost There
10-24-2005, 00:31
Compared to Trek, Appalachian Impressions is the best. Haven't seen Walking with Freedom yet, but want to.

Almost There
10-24-2005, 00:35
anyone know how long Walking with Freedom is?

Peaks
10-24-2005, 08:04
anyone know how long Walking with Freedom is?

I bought it at the Gathering. Running time is 90 minutes

TAMBOURINE
10-24-2005, 09:22
I read that "2000 Miles to Maine" has shaky camera work. Does it? NO IT IS PRETTY GOOD BUT THERE ARE SHOWING DRUG USE A LITTLE SO IT WOULD NOT BE GOOD FOR YOUNGER HIKERS.

QHShowoman
10-24-2005, 09:46
I didn't really like Appalachain Impressions ... I think it is remarkably well-done and is great for a general audience, but my preference is for films that document the thru-hiker experience. I've heard great things about "Walking With Freedom" (just ordered a copy!) ... I also really enjoyed "Trek."

QHShowoman
10-24-2005, 09:48
Can we not edit our posts on here? If so, how?

I just wanted to add that I also own "5 Million Steps" and I think it is interesting from a historical perspective, but I enjoyed "Trek" a lot more (probably because I could relate to it more easily).

Lilred
10-24-2005, 18:32
I'll probably go with "Walking with Freedom" if I get one at all. Any thoughts on how this video compares with "5 Million Steps" or "Trek" of which I own.

I have Trek and enjoyed it very much. I like Walking with Freedom more, because of the soundtrack mostly. I also saw it at Trail Days to a packed house. The filmmaker got a standing ovation. That may have something to do with my preference too. :D

Almost There
10-24-2005, 19:07
Just ordered Walking with Freedom, so now I'll own Trek, Walking With Freedom, Appalachian Impressons, and Five Million Steps.

Jester2000
11-01-2005, 20:20
I think walking With Freedom does an excellent job of capturing the trail experience, and, as already mentioned, it has a great soundtrack. BFitz -- the movie at Miss Janet's was not available commercially, although it was screened at Trail days in, I think, 2001. It was filmed by Lucky Dawg (2000) and edited by Simma Donna (section 2000).

I was planning on burning my VHS copy onto DVD anyway. If you want I'll make you a copy.

Moxie00
11-04-2005, 00:07
Jester, they were a great group, almost as great as you and me in 2000 but not up to the Bills but close. Please make me a DVD, Simma Donna was a hoot and one hell of a trail angel. Nothing like a hiker with a car, an appartmant in New York and a credit card. That girl had it all.:dance

RockyTrail
11-04-2005, 12:13
I have an early copy of Lion King's "Walking With Freedom" and really enjoy it, in fact it really communicates very well to non-hikers some of the realities and challenges of long distance hiking. It literally feels like you are riding LK's shoulder all the way up the trail because, most of the time, he was actually holding the camera at arm's length! He did a great job and the music adds a lot to the trip.

But one evening, while surfing the TV channels, we stopped to find "Appalachian Impressions" playing on a local PBS station. It was a good show too, but imagine our surprise to see (who else) but Mr. Lion King in the background! If you look at the Mt Washington scene you can see him standing there with some hikers in the fog...I think wearing a two-tone blue and red(?) jacket, the same one he wore in Walking with Freedom. It was filmed the same year (2003) so some overlap was bound to happen I guess.

Anyway they are both great shows, but each a little different, you won't be disappointed.

Lion King
11-04-2005, 14:07
I have an early copy of Lion King's "Walking With Freedom" and really enjoy it, in fact it really communicates very well to non-hikers some of the realities and challenges of long distance hiking. It literally feels like you are riding LK's shoulder all the way up the trail because, most of the time, he was actually holding the camera at arm's length! He did a great job and the music adds a lot to the trip.

But one evening, while surfing the TV channels, we stopped to find "Appalachian Impressions" playing on a local PBS station. It was a good show too, but imagine our surprise to see (who else) but Mr. Lion King in the background! If you look at the Mt Washington scene you can see him standing there with some hikers in the fog...I think wearing a two-tone blue and red(?) jacket, the same one he wore in Walking with Freedom. It was filmed the same year (2003) so some overlap was bound to happen I guess.

Anyway they are both great shows, but each a little different, you won't be disappointed.

Yup, Cruiser and I were there the same day!:D Same jacket, same crazy day I hiked over in the storm, in shorts!

And for others info, I am in "The ThruHikes " video as well. I hung out with those guys a lot, Im in it for but a moment in Pearisburg.

and thanks for all the kind words on "Walking With Freedom", if Amazon is out, you can drop a check to me for about $2 less at $23 to teh addy below.
MRO and Sundog both sold out as did The Outfitters in Harpers Ferry, so they will all be resupplied soon. There are also a few at Walasyi now.
Thanks again.
Mike Daniel
17541 GA HWY 33
PAvo GA 31778