PDA

View Full Version : Fruit trees you've encountered on hikes.

Dogwood
11-19-2014, 00:12
What are some of the fruit trees and fruit you've been fortunate to sample on hikes? Here's a list I've been fortunate to taste. I'm sure I'm forgetting some but here's a list: apples, plums, pears, persimmons, paw paws in season ripened on the tree with a few really ripe ones on the ground(absolutely delish), Kousa dogwood fruit(look like strawberries), which reminds me strawberries, Strawberry fruit from the genus Arbutus, mangoes, bananas, bread fruit, jackfruit, oranges, lemons, limes, coconuts, cactus pears, mulberries, thimble berries, huckleberries, blue berries, raspberries, guavas, chestnuts, carambola(star fruit), papaya, lychee, currants, avocados, coffee, elderberry, Oregon grape(Mahonia genus), passion fruit, cherries, peaches, Juneberries(from the genus Amelanchier, native to the U.S. east coast), olives, rose hips, hawthorne berries(from the genus Crataegus), soursop(from the genus Annona), kumquats, pineapple, jaboticaba, pecans, sweetsop, dates and other palm tree fruit, quince....

upstream
11-19-2014, 08:41
Serviceberry (also Amalanchier), hackberry , maypop, Black walnut, pignut, tupelo, mayhaw (also from crataegus).

apple_muncy
11-19-2014, 08:57
While retracing my steps, searching for my water filter pump, lost in the rain the previous day, I discovered (just like Columbus discovery America) an English Walnut growing in a front yard in Columbus IN. Sadly, the water pump was not to be found.

misprof
11-19-2014, 10:42
Dogwood, where are you hiking where you find papaya and coconuts?
Persimmons, apples, black and red raspberries, black berries, black walnut, blueberries, wild strawberries, pawpaw.

handlebar
11-19-2014, 11:08
Dogwood, Your post brings to mind the delicious apples I gathered at Reavis Ranch along the Arizona Trail from trees over 100 years old that haven't been pruned or sprayed since in over 100 years. The apples were large and free of pests. I've also enjoyed great blueberries in the industrial desert along the AT near Lehigh Gap. Blueberries love the acid soil that was a byproduct of New Jersey Zinc's smelter at Palmerton PA. Huckleberries can be had in the northern reaches of the PCT and CDT, but they were scarce when I went thru. I was lucky enough to find strawberries in OR along the PCT and raspberries in Anaconda Wilderness this past August as well. I need to bone up on edible plants to expand my browsing.

Odd Man Out
11-19-2014, 12:58
We have some Paw Paw trees growing around here, but I never seem to see any fruit on them. Always wondered why. The wild grapes around here are so sour as to be painful, but I eat them anyway. My wife thinks I'm nuts.

rocketsocks
11-19-2014, 13:05
I seem to remember eating crab apples many moons ago.

Dogwood
11-19-2014, 13:39
This is what I was wanting. I didn't consider the common hackberry(Celtis genus) fruit as an edible I've sampled. It's kind of like mealy dried raisins. Usually there are high up on the trees though.

Willd Tupelo(Nyssa genus) honey I knew of and immensely enjoyed in the south but never considered eating the fruit. THX for that one. They make a gorgeous fall display growing often in wet areas. It's a shame when they are indiscriminantly cut down as they aren't typically fast growers.

Maypop is a good one. They are a Passion fruit in the Passiflora genus, You'll find them on the AT. Sweet when fully ripe.

Papayas and coconuts I find in/near the wilds in Hawaii and Florida.

Serendipity. I've also sampled the apples at Reavis Ranch and were delighted by the clean disease pest resistant apples.

Ripening Paw Paws are relished by various wildlife. Being in a small grove of them while fruiting is an experience I will never forget. They seems tropical in appearance. Cross pollination is also a concern so more than one tree is usually planted. Asminia triloba fruit is related to the the tropical cherimoya and guanabana all tasty custard like fruit when ripe.

RED-DOG
11-19-2014, 14:26
I have found, Apples trees, wild strawberries, black berries, blue berries, pear trees, crab apples, and a good list of nuts. all found along the AT, the foot hills trail and the MST.

Dogwood
11-19-2014, 14:44
This question arose as I stood on the side of a back country scenic farm road(part of the Sheltowee Trace) in KY recently as I was gorging on RIPE persimmons. OMG, like sweet orange jelly free for the taking from a persimmon tree volunteer growing along a fence row. That day I was reminding myself of all the bounty of Nature that can be had in season and in various places.

Sandy of PA
11-21-2014, 21:28
Black cherries from Joe Michell's tree at 4 Pines Hostel!

imscotty
11-21-2014, 21:53
I once did a day hike down a muddy trail in the Costa Rican Rainforest. The humid air was as thick as pea soup. I was drenched in sweat and mud and dehydrated when I finally got to the end of my hike. There before me stood a starfruit tree heavy with ripe fruit. I thought it was the most delicious fruit I had ever tasted.

Theosus
11-22-2014, 19:51
Blackberries, apples, and my favorites, Muscadines!

Dogwood
11-22-2014, 21:39
Black cherries from Joe Michell's tree at 4 Pines Hostel!

I'm not recalling the name of it right now but this reminds me of that AT Hostel that had those stocked fish ponds in the back. Blueberry Patch maybe? They would cook the fish for ya after you caught it. Talk about a non zero "zero" day. I think they smoked fish too that they offered samples of and sold at Trail Days. That was some delish smoked fish! :D Ahh, the things you remember about the AT. What a wonderful experience.

shelb
11-23-2014, 01:01
Blueberries AND rasberries in SNP during July! WOW! What a relief from the heat!

bamboo bob
11-23-2014, 09:33
On the Florida Trail I had grapefruit but you have to be careful, some are full of bugs. Also you go by sugar cane and orange groves too but that would be wrong.

handlebar
11-23-2014, 12:41
I forgot the wonderful cherries just S of WV9. They were excellent!

imscotty
11-23-2014, 16:02
The Starfruit Tree....